Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Non-Parker Specific & General Discussions Shotgun Shell Reloading

Notices

Unread 05-26-2011, 09:05 AM   #11
Paul Harm
Forum Associate

Member Info

Yes there has been overshot cards forever - thin ones. They are around .028 thick. Bill, I'm interested in who still uses a OS wad in factory loads today. About the only time they're used is for roll crimps or some use them for when they get a hole in the star crimp and want to seal it. I haven't seen or heard of any factory roll crimping today. Craig from Circlefly sells a thick OS card that is to be used in brass cases so you don't have to glue in a thin OS card. I tried them and got about a 12" hole in the center of my patterns. The same load useing a standard thin OS card had good patterns. I'm not saying this will happen to everyone - but I won't use anything but a thin card for OS from now on. Paul
Paul Harm is offline   Reply With Quote
Visit Paul Harm's homepage!
Unread 05-26-2011, 09:17 AM   #12
Paul Harm
Forum Associate

Member Info

Another thought, in Sherman Bells 10ga load data all the filler wads go in the bottom of the shot cup, not the top, or over the shot. Paul
Unread 05-26-2011, 09:33 AM   #13
J.B. Books
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 4,804 Times in 1,370 Posts

Scott K. did some short ten testing. He tried putting the 16ga filler wad on top of the shot column with the idea all the shot is then inside the shot cup. Instead of a tighter pattern it blew open the patterns so much so he thought it was a good spreader wad/shell.
Pete Lester is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-26-2011, 08:12 PM   #14
Keith Parrish
Forum Associate

Member Info

This is my concern.... Placing a wad as a filler over the top of my shot is going to either blow a big hole in the center of my pattern. Not giving a nice pattern.
Should I drop it in before the shot gets dropped then it should be out of the way of things when sending the shot down the range.

To keep the thread on subject that our buddy started...

I just found some dried ears of corn out back scraped off a few kernals 2 dozen or so. Put them on a piece of metal and turned them into chunks with a hammer then i took a couple of pinches and placed them in the wad before the shot. I got the desired height of my shot and held a perfect crimp. Hit the hay bails at 40 yards nicely too. I'm happy with it.

but I do want to get some 1/16 or 1/8 inch wad and use it as filler so I can load up my wads and not having the wife yelling "FIRST ITS THOSE DArN BB's NOW ITS PIECES CORN!!! YOU ARE CLEANING THIS UP!!!"

HEE HEE HEE
Keith Parrish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-26-2011, 10:53 PM   #15
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,795 Times in 3,967 Posts

im glad to know that my wifes not the only one stepping on bb s in the kitchen andme getting the blame for it....ive done a lot of shooting with thick and thin wads over the shot and have not really noticed much differance in my patterns...but i willpay much closer attention now to see if it does make a big differance.... charlie
charlie cleveland is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-27-2011, 08:47 PM   #16
Paul Harm
Forum Associate

Member Info

Charlie -I keep my wife doing the cooking, cleaning, barefoot and pregnet. If she was to step on some BB's in the kitchen barefoot she'd slip and fall. This would mean I'd have to do some of her duties. Moral - don't reload in the kitchen. Do it in your mancave. Paul
Unread 05-27-2011, 10:19 PM   #17
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

thanks for the advise PAUL i guess id better get that man cave cleaned out and move in...been a long time since id heard that fraze...ha charlie
Unread 05-29-2011, 03:57 AM   #18
10 bore
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,457 Times in 805 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie cleveland View Post
im glad to know that my wifes not the only one stepping on bb s in the kitchen andme getting the blame for it....ive done a lot of shooting with thick and thin wads over the shot and have not really noticed much differance in my patterns...but i willpay much closer attention now to see if it does make a big differance.... charlie
i have test shot patterns with the 1/2 inch 16 ga. filler wad over 1 oz of shot in my NH 10 ga. and patterns went from 85% to 40% but they looked nice scott
scott kittredge is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-29-2011, 02:12 PM   #19
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

scott you may have figured out a good quail or dove load for the old ten...mite be a good load for me on those old crows too since i need a bigger pattern..i may be able to hit something with them bigger patterns i just dont seem to shoot and hit as well as i use to.. charlie
Unread 05-30-2011, 03:59 PM   #20
Steve Havener
Forum Associate

Member Info

A number of years ago while messing with some short 10 nitro loads I found that if I loaded shot on top of a plain fiber wad I ended up with a patchy pattern so I inserted a hard nitro card between the shot and the compressed fiber to keep the shot from sticking in the compressed fiber. Stopped getting shot stuck in the fiber wad and improved my patterns considerably.
Steve Havener is offline   Reply With Quote