Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Non-Parker Specific & General Discussions Shotgun Shell Reloading

Notices

28 gauge MEC 9000 loading problem
Unread 04-06-2023, 06:43 PM   #1
Cold Spring
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 6,313 Times in 1,219 Posts

Default 28 gauge MEC 9000 loading problem

Brand new MEC 9000 progressive press in 28 gauge. I'm loading once fired Remington STS hulls with 3/4 ounce of West Coast #8 shot that's bright and not oxidized nor tarnished. Alliant 20/28 powder and Claybuster 5034-HS wads.

I'm having trouble with shot bridging in the shot/ram tube on station #3. Probably 1 of 4 shells, the shot will hang up in the tube ..... some shot drops into the wad but the rest will hang up and falls later when the shell indexes to station #4. The shot tube is clear, no obstructions. A friend suggested putting a teaspoon of talcum powder in the shot canister and shaking to coat all the pellets, but that didn't help.

I'd appreciate any ideas.
Frank Srebro is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Frank Srebro For Your Post:
Unread 04-06-2023, 07:31 PM   #2
Quigley97
PGCA Member

Member Info

Frank, I have a new MEC 9000 in 12 ga. I had a similar problem with the drop tube for the wads. Took the tube off the machine and looked inside and there was paint build up inside the tube. I guess they dip the parts for painting. I used a small round file and cleaned the paint drops out and that corrected the issue.
Tom Pellegrini is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tom Pellegrini For Your Post:
Unread 04-06-2023, 07:39 PM   #3
bob lyons
PGCA Member

Member Info

I had the problem with a new 410 650 mec
Very frustrating, I cleaned the tube out with cleaning rods and patches. Also took it apart. Seems to be some hope of coating on it. Worked good for awhile, but starts again after about 4 boxes.
The 410 takes me 2 times as long to reload a box, they are very fussy.
Waiting for the responses to this.
Frank the browning and model 42 have been getting a through work out. Thanks they are both are great guns, and they are very addictive.
Bob
bob lyons is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bob lyons For Your Post:
Unread 04-06-2023, 07:52 PM   #4
Kevin McCormack
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 3,619 Times in 1,024 Posts

Frank I had the exact same problem with the exact same press and loading dynamics. Mine were with both powder and shot. I used 800X powder and had continuing issues with powder bridging in the drop tube which I eventually partially solved by running a very fine thin copper wire up to a water pipe in my gun room overhead to dissipate static electricity, which all the reloading gurus diagnosed as the problem.

So far as shot bridging, it occured much less frequently, but became most annoying. I solved that by "washing" my shot (Lawrence brand #8 Magnum (high antimony) with powdered graphite I bought cheaply from the local locksmith. I would pour the whole 25 lb. bag of shot into a plastic bucket and churn it around thoroughly with a plastic spatula then sieve it and load it. I eventually found that the automotive engine reassembly product "Motor Mica" worked just as well. During my reloading career loading 12, 20, and 28 guage the latter was the only gauge that continually gave me problems. All my presses were MEC progressives, which proved to be very good machines.
Kevin McCormack is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kevin McCormack For Your Post:
Unread 04-06-2023, 10:53 PM   #5
J. A. EARLY
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,693 Times in 871 Posts

Heck, the 9000s are a pain in the butt for they always screw up (really it is the nut behind the handle). Knowing that the shot hangs up, while the shot drop tube is still inside the hull, whack it with a wrench, stick, screwdriver, or whatever is handy to make the rest of the shot fall. Works for me.
Jerry Harlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-07-2023, 07:51 AM   #6
JAMES HALL
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Had same problem. Someone at Mec suggested baby powder. It works just as Kevin's remedy.
JAMES HALL is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JAMES HALL For Your Post:
Unread 04-07-2023, 08:02 AM   #7
Pa SxS
Research Chairman
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 4,972 Times in 1,421 Posts

Wack the shot tube like Jerry does before the tube leaves the hull. Graphite or mica may help. Sure makes a mess!
Chuck Bishop is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Chuck Bishop For Your Post:
Unread 04-07-2023, 09:04 AM   #8
Mike of the Mountain
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,906 Times in 2,688 Posts

I'll lift the handle to just keep the tube in the top of the hull before I push the bar over on my 600, Jr. Makes it easy to see if all the shot dropped. That may not work on your 9000G but it works on the 600, especially the .410.
Mike Koneski is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mike Koneski For Your Post:
Visit Mike Koneski's homepage!
Unread 04-07-2023, 10:10 AM   #9
Andy
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,469 Times in 971 Posts

I hear that using a cling free dryer sheet run through the tube will help for static for the powder. I have used that for handgun on the funnels etc so powder doesn't stick. As far as Kevin's idea about static, I saw a forum somewhere once where the poster used a vinyl record anti static gun to zap his tube periodically which kept the powder dropping. Seems an expensive fix, but if you have one laying around or see one a flea market it's an idea

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Milty-Zer...6&gclsrc=3p.ds
Unread 04-07-2023, 10:29 AM   #10
Chris Pope
PGCA Member

Member Info

Same problem with shot hanging up in my Mec Jr 600 28 ga. Remedy for me is to rattle the handle back and forth after dropping the shot. It's a pain in the butt, but it works. I appreciate the other tips above and will try some of them also.
I must say static electricity is another issue and has always concerned me. Why we don't have more explosions reloading shotgun shells and pumping gas is beyond me...easy to become complacent.
Chris Pope is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Chris Pope For Your Post: