Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

Engraving Repair
Unread 10-21-2011, 02:12 PM   #1
Michael Tracy
Forum Associate

Member Info

Question Engraving Repair

I need some advice and help. I am looking at purchasing a CHE 12 gauge. The gun has a nasty deep gouge on the left side of the receiver. It extends from the upper border, across an empty space into the back of the dog. It is about one centimeter in length. Can something like this be fixed? Can it be fixed so that it doesn't look "fixed"? I know there are variables like "how deep is deep?", and "does it need material added to fix the gouge?". These are questions that probably only a "look see" could answer.
My questions are who would you talk to and who would you trust to fix something like this? Any idea what something like this would cost to fix?
I suppose I could just leave the gouge if I purchased the gun. If I didn't get it fixed, would the gouge be the only thing I saw in the gun? Is it worth fixing?
Thanks for your help.
Michael Tracy
Michael Tracy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-21-2011, 02:23 PM   #2
Don Kaas
Forum Associate

Member Info

Most likely if material needs to be added-The gouge would have to be welded up and ground/polished flat, the frame annealed, re-engraved (the easy part- Geoffroy Gournet is very good at this) and then rehardened (i.e case colored). In other words a complete restoration of the action. Probably not worth fixing. I've been there. I don't buy guns with nagging warts anymore and spend the money getting them fixed. There are too many nice guns without eyesores...Either you can live with it or you need to do it up correctly.

Some one will chime in now and say the gouge is part of the history of the gun, it gives it character...so it is worn sear for that matter...IMHO it's like driving around a Duesenberg with a dent in the fender.
Don Kaas is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-21-2011, 02:59 PM   #3
Brush Buster
PGCA Member
Second Badge

Member Info

Thanked 3,566 Times in 1,099 Posts

Hello Don ,I have to agree with the " Dent in the Fender " I got a kick out of that ,I just posted a picture of my DHE 28 Ga. in the " Hunting with Parkers " Thread and someone went to alot of work on that after market Semi Beavertail the gun is wearing ,but to be honest I can't wait till after hunting season to send it out and get " The Dent in the Fender " taken care of ! ,it drives me crazy ! Russ
Russ Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-21-2011, 03:07 PM   #4
Don Kaas
Forum Associate

Member Info

Well, the real issue when thinking about buying a gun with an annoying wart is, as Mr. Tracy suggests, is "can I live with it?" If you can't the cheapest way out is to pass on the gun. When I buy a Parker, even for restoration, I look at 1) the barrels-are they sound can any dents or pits be fixed are the chokes adequate? 2) is the condition engraving satisfactory- is there any pitting or gouging that will be hard to fix? If the answers are not yes, I pass no matter how reluctantly. Barrels are the gun and the engraving is very hard to set right if truly trashed...I have learned...no really, I have!
Unread 10-21-2011, 03:51 PM   #5
Bruce Day
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 15,615 Times in 2,667 Posts

This B grade was badly pitted and considered unsalvageable. A young man in his 20's micro welded the pits and re engraved it. A DGJ article is being done on its restoration so I can't show you the before photos, but it was thought terminal. I don't own it, but if you are serious, PM me, and I'll put you in touch with the owner. The young gun restorer is south of St Louis.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bhammer.jpg (91.8 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg bhammer2.jpg (75.8 KB, 3 views)
Bruce Day is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bruce Day For Your Post:
Unread 10-21-2011, 04:08 PM   #6
Robert Delk
PGCA Member

Member Info

I think the people who invest in restoring a gun ,without hope of getting their money out of it, are in the same league as Mother Theresa and should be held in admiration and respect.
Robert Delk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Robert Delk For Your Post:
Unread 10-21-2011, 04:22 PM   #7
Bruce Day
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 15,615 Times in 2,667 Posts

Mother Theresa wearing blaze orange and camo.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Sharptail 055.jpg (160.2 KB, 3 views)
Bruce Day is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-21-2011, 04:25 PM   #8
Robert Delk
PGCA Member

Member Info

That is one good looking B hammer gun and I can't wait to see the before pics.We usually think of master craftsmen as being a bit long in the tooth and it is nice to see that younger men can compete.
Robert Delk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-21-2011, 04:42 PM   #9
Don Kaas
Forum Associate

Member Info

You are right. Sometimes rather than talk a guy off the ledge the kindest thing you can do is just say to him, "So jump!" At least the gun will get fixed...
Unread 10-21-2011, 04:46 PM   #10
J.B. Books
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 4,804 Times in 1,370 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Delk View Post
I think the people who invest in restoring a gun ,without hope of getting their money out of it,
I think that is the case with 98% of the guns that undergo restoration, and I think that's OK. There are some good reasons including; sentiment, a great fit, unique and already messed with or badly broken, and or because you find such a project to be fun. People pay a lot of money to have fun with even less of a return, trip to Vegas etc.
Pete Lester is offline   Reply With Quote