Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

Unread 10-10-2011, 07:55 AM   #11
Richard Flanders
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 5,538 Times in 1,717 Posts

I use lacquer thinner on the really tough dried old oil on the metal parts. There are good posts in here somewhere on using Murphys oil soap to clean up dirty stocks.
Richard Flanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-10-2011, 01:13 PM   #12
Steve McCarty
Forum Associate

Member Info

Yes, indeed, Ray. Gun stocks are antique furniture after all and stuff made to refurbish old chairs and tables can be good for gun stocks as well.
Steve McCarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-13-2011, 03:10 PM   #13
TARNATION !!!
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 2,371 Times in 657 Posts

I prefer to clean thoroughly and inspect each piece within the action. Just an opinion here but I'm not a fan of "patina". Lets consider any old car found in a barn. Been there for years and long forgotten. A little removal of bird droppings and dirt, dust and mud reveals the original paint, intact and shineable. Do we leave the patina and just accept that is how the car should be represented? If a proper clean up/repair of a gun does reduce its $$ value, so be it but what value is a gun that may not be or is not safe to shoot? Once safety is ensured, I guess "patina" remains a personal choice. My choice is to clean it all off and return wood to a well sealed state for use in the field again. I do like Tru Oil for a home job. Once the multiple coats have been properly done and the wood is sealed, finishing the final coat determines lustre. Very light steel wool rub and good gun wax polished will give the bright finish that some don't like but aggressive use of the steel wool can bring the lustre to most any desired level. I always wax the final product to repel moisture.

A neglected gun will continue to deteriorate. One brought back to safe shootable condition will be around for long enough to allow a future custodian to debate whether or not to "shine it up" or "leave it alone". That's my take on it.

In the meantime, mine will be out in the field for as long as the old bod' allows.

Cheers,
Jack
Unread 10-13-2011, 06:06 PM   #14
Carl Erickson Jr
PGCA Member

Member Info

I have been a collector of firearms for several years. With any firearm that I acquire I want it to be safe to shoot. I also want to have the regular maintenance performed. The only exception would be for an art object that is in very good condition or better or a historical piece. Otherwise I would make sure that the metal is properly cleaned and that the stock has the finish maintained. If the stock would be damaged by firing it should be made whole. I might have to refinish the stock if it is oil soaked or split I might have to clean light rust from the finish. I would consider those things maintenance. A gun that has been under bed should be inspected , cleaned and preserved.
Carl Erickson Jr is offline   Reply With Quote