Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

10 Gauge Magnum
Unread 10-18-2011, 05:09 PM   #1
Roundsworth
PGCA Member

Member Info

Default 10 Gauge Magnum

Hello, again! I just acquired a few Western 10 gauge shells of the 3-1/2" configuration. They are headstamped 'WESTERN / RECORD' and have the following nomenclature on the red paper hull: 'Western 3-1/2 INCH MAGNUM SUPER X' along with 'LONG RANGE LOAD / USE ONLY IN GUNS WEIGHING 10-1/2 POUNDS OR MORE, WITH 3-1/2 INCH CHAMBERS AND MODERN STEEL BARRELS'. The topwad indicates a load of '4L' shot. The 'L' means 'Lubaloy', which is Western's name for their copper plated shot. I would imagine it is a 2 ounce payload. Western catalogs (or reprints) are not common. I wish I knew more about this shell. I recall 1922ish being the time when this 3-1/2" shell came about. A collaboration between John Olin and Ithaca? Are there many Parker 3-1/2" chambered 10s?
'Desert Storm'
'Southern Watch'
Mark Landskov is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-18-2011, 07:40 PM   #2
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,872 Times in 4,755 Posts

No, there aren't many Parkers made to shoot those shells, nor are there many of those Lubaloy shells out there. Do you have boxes of those shells or just a few individual shells? I am not much of a shotgun shell collector, but I would be interested in some Lubaloy tens.
Bill Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-18-2011, 09:04 PM   #3
Robert Delk
PGCA Member

Member Info

Somewhere, I read an article by Alex Kerr and he talked about a AHE or AAHE in 10 magnum that he had and had shot.This would have been in the late 60's or early 70's,maybe in Sports Afield. I always have wondered if this is a "known" gun.
Robert Delk is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-18-2011, 09:28 PM   #4
Researcher
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 7,835 Times in 2,362 Posts

The Ithaca Magnum-Ten with 3 1/2 inch chambers and the Western Cartridge Co. 3 1/2 inch Magnum-Ten cartridge were introduced in 1932.

The Western Cartridge Co. Super-X load, introducing progressive burning powders to North American shotgun shells, were introduced in 12- (1 1/4 ounce) and 20-gauge (1 ounce) in 2 3/4 in Western "Field" shells in 1922. In 1923, Western added the Super-X 16-gauge 1 1/8 ounce load in a 2 9/16 inch "Field" shell and the 1 3/8 ounce 12-gauge Super-X load in a 3-inch "Record" shell. I use the term "load" because that is what Super-X originally was, a progressive burning powder load put up in either Western's already existing "Field" low brass or "Record" high brass shells. During the mid-1930s, as the use of the older bulk and dense smokeless powders waned Western Cartridge Co. began phasing out the "Field" and "Record" names and Super-X became their high-brass shell and Xpert their low-brass shell. I have two 10-gauge 3 1/2 inch Super-X shells in my collection. The earlier one is the Super-X load in a Record shell and the later one is a Super-X shell. Both have the paragraph on the side of the paper tube -- "LONG RANGE LOAD / USE ONLY IN GUNS WEIGHING 10-1/2 POUNDS OR MORE, WITH 3-1/2 INCH CHAMBERS AND MODERN STEEL BARRELS."
Dave Noreen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dave Noreen For Your Post:
Unread 10-19-2011, 06:25 AM   #5
Roundsworth
PGCA Member

Member Info

Great info! Thanks. I have examples of both the 'RECORD' and 'FIELD' headstamped 'SUPER-X' shells in my collection. Info on Western ammunition is virtually non-existant.
'Desert Storm'
'Southern Watch'
Unread 10-19-2011, 07:54 AM   #6
Don Kaas
Forum Associate

Member Info

Actually there are a series of wonderful little booklets on Western Super X shotshell ammunition by the reknown Chas. Askins, Sr. and illustrated by the equally well know Lynn Bogue Hunt. They are often on eBay (see 370546353089). I have 3 different editions of them. Very informative with data both detailed and ancedotal like most of Askins stuff.
Don Kaas is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Don Kaas For Your Post:
Unread 10-19-2011, 11:43 AM   #7
Researcher
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 7,835 Times in 2,362 Posts

It seems that I have found a boatload of Western Cartridge Co. paper beginning with the Super-X booklet of 1922 that covered just the 2 3/4 inch 12- and 20-gauge loads. I have ten different editions of their booklet Super-X The Long Range Load by Capt. Chas. Askins. The earliest is undated with a grey cover, then a grey cover with a 5-28 date. Then a cream cover with green printing dated 4-30. Then a cream cover with blue printing dated 2-31, the first to include the 2 7/8 inch 28-gauge Super-X shell. Then a blue cover with green and dark blue printing dated 2-32. Then back to cream color with maroon printing dated 11-32. Then another blue cover with green and dark blue printing dated 2-33. Then another cream with maroon printing dated 11-33, the first one I have that includes the 3 1/2 inch Magnum-Ten and the 3-inch .410-bore shell. Then two more cream with maroon printing dated 11-34, and 10-35. Beginning in 1937, Western Cartridge Co. began putting out a Western Ammunition Handbook. There are many editions of this booklet from the 1st edition which appears to be 1937 to the 16th edition dated October 1951. The 6th edition, which appears to be 1940,introduces the Super-Seal crimps. Throw in a dozen or so of their ammunition price lists, and one gets a pretty good picture of what they were offering when. Several editions of the Super-X the Long Range Load and the Western Ammunition Handbook seem to be regularly offered on ebay.

I have found Western Cartridge Co. paper from before the introduction of the Super-X load to be virtually non-existant.
Dave Noreen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dave Noreen For Your Post:
Unread 10-19-2011, 12:02 PM   #8
Roundsworth
PGCA Member

Member Info

I checked Cornell Publications for Western. They list a few catalogs from 1927 to the late 30s. Indeed, E-bay has a few listed, also.
'Desert Storm'
'Southern Watch'
Unread 10-19-2011, 01:20 PM   #9
MarketHunter
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 4,035 Times in 1,168 Posts

I've got some Lubaloy loaded stuff in paper and plastic but I've been looking a long time and don't have much. Bill doesn't need anymore, he has a full case of 12 gauge.

Destry
I was as virtuously given as a gentleman need to be; virtuous enough; swore little; diced not above seven times a week; went to a bawdy-house once in a quarter--of an hour; paid money that I borrowed, three of four times; lived well and in good compass: and now I live out of all order, out of all compass. Falstaff - Henry IV
Destry L. Hoffard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-19-2011, 03:58 PM   #10
Don Kaas
Forum Associate

Member Info

12 gauge 3" 1 3/8 oz of coppered 4s addressed to Marse Henry, no less another treasure lost in the Murphy Hoarding Complex which looks like the warehouse in the scene at the end of "Raiders of the Lost Ark"

I remember the day old Perry Hooker dropped by the shop and gave me a few boxes of some new shells and a big Fox gun with request from the Big Boss to take them to Wapanocca and try them out...
Don Kaas is offline   Reply With Quote