Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

Parker(?) Powder Measure
Unread 10-17-2011, 09:03 PM   #1
Roundsworth
PGCA Member

Member Info

Default Parker(?) Powder Measure

Hoot mon! I just purchased a powder measure that looks exactly like one that is featured in TPS. It is very heavy and extremely well made. It is NOT marked with a manufacturer's name. Does anyone know if Parker made measures without markings? It is much heavier than the largest BGI and UH measures that I have. Cheers!
'Desert Storm'
'Southern Watch'
Mark Landskov is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-17-2011, 09:58 PM   #2
Bruce Day
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 15,615 Times in 2,667 Posts

Parker didn't make powder and shot measures. BGI made them and privately labeled them for Parker. We've shown photos of them here before.
Bruce Day is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-18-2011, 06:19 AM   #3
Roundsworth
PGCA Member

Member Info

Hmmmm.....page 552, the last paragraph, which continues onto the next page, clearly states that Parker made their own measures. I really can't interpret the wording any other way. Do we have a new source of information that supercedes TPS? The book does indicate that many other products in the Parker catalog were made by B.G.I. I will conduct a forum search for the photos.
'Desert Storm'
'Southern Watch'
Unread 10-18-2011, 07:16 AM   #4
Autumn Daze
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 4,048 Times in 1,727 Posts

Mark, I will reread your referrence. But Bruce is correct...Everything we know tells us that Parker Bros. loading tools were made by an outside source.
Unread 10-18-2011, 01:41 PM   #5
Captain Bob

Member Info

I have been acquiring Parker marked loading tools via eBay for more than the last ten years. My objective has been to win one each of all the tools illustrated on the two accoutrement catalog pages shown in TPS via eBay. So far I’ve done pretty well, have not won every auction, but have seen everything go by at least once. Parker marked powder/shot measures were offered in two basic handle styles and a variety of woods. What I have observed about them is that they differ from all other similar style measures in that overall their quality is significantly better than any others, including best quality B.G.I. models. They are generally heavier plated, when plated, and the adjusting notches are finer cut. But the real indication that one is a true Parker measure is that the handle is secured by two small screws. One through the top and one through the bottom of the attaching ferrule. Every Parker marked measure I have has the two screws and I have not yet (never say never) come across a Parker like measure which is not marked Parker. I will also say that I have not yet (NSN) come across a definitely B.G.I. made measure that is marked Parker. I cannot say if Parker Bros. made the Parker marked measures, but I can say that they seem to be unique unto themselves and of a quality which bespeaks Parker; uniformly very well made, differing only in degree of decoration (wood and plating).

I must be off to a business trade show through the weekend, but will try to post some pictures of the screws next week.
Unread 10-18-2011, 02:34 PM   #6
Bruce Day
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

I have a Parker stamped shot and powder measure which as is Bob says. While I wasn't at Parker Bros and have no means to independently verify, I have consistently been told is that BGI made the shot and powder measures for Parker . If that is inaccurate and I have been misinformed , please correct. The belief that they were BGI made is widespread in the Parker collecting community.

This shot measure is my only piece of Parker reloading equipment. I understood that other reloading devices labeled Parker were also made by BGI. I don't know about the things that have "Parker" cast into the piece, I've assumed those were PArker Bros made.
Unread 10-18-2011, 02:39 PM   #7
Roundsworth
PGCA Member

Member Info

Well, dish me up a slice of humble pie! My measure is like the one on page 557, 2nd from the left, BUT...only has one setscrew securing the handle to the cup. If Parker did NOT make their measures, who did....and, is the one I have made by the company that supplied Parker? Aside from the single screw, it is the same. It does not even resemble any of my BGI, UH or European measures. Interesting!
'Desert Storm'
'Southern Watch'
Unread 10-18-2011, 02:48 PM   #8
Roundsworth
PGCA Member

Member Info

Bruce, I guess I am basing my observations on the fact that TPS does a great job outlining all the different accoutrements, and who made them, but, when it gets to the powder measures, the reader is lead to believe that Parker made them. Maybe my measure pleased the folks at Parker, and they specified TWO setscrews for their version. Anyways, it makes it all very interesting. Cheers!
'Desert Storm'
'Southern Watch'
Unread 10-18-2011, 02:52 PM   #9
Roundsworth
PGCA Member

Member Info

I wish I could see the other side of the far left measure on pag 557. My B.G.I. 23CR, with one setscrew, is a 'dead ringer'! Ha! The plot thickens.....
'Desert Storm'
'Southern Watch'
Unread 10-18-2011, 03:03 PM   #10
Bruce Day
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Landskov View Post
Bruce, I guess I am basing my observations on the fact that TPS does a great job outlining all the different accoutrements, and who made them, but, when it gets to the powder measures, the reader is lead to believe that Parker made them. Maybe my measure pleased the folks at Parker, and they specified TWO setscrews for their version. Anyways, it makes it all very interesting. Cheers!
Bill Mullins and Charlie Price wrote TPS and were watching this thread. I expect they will contribute if they know.
The Following User Says Thank You to Bruce Day For Your Post: