Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

Trojan Problem
Unread 10-16-2011, 12:19 AM   #1
Steve McCarty
Forum Associate

Member Info

Default Trojan Problem

I'm a pawn shop hound. I've found all kinds of great guns in pawn shops over the years. A great Mannlicher Schoenaur 1952 carbine, a nifty Steyr Mannlicher .243. A very nice Lefever 12 and fantastic like new Ithaca M37 16, a bunch of Win M12's.

Now there's a Parker Trojan on the rack. Also a Elsie 00. The Trojan is priced, I think, about $300 high. It's covered with rust. Big blotches of BB sized rust spots. SS# in the 202xxx range. Can't recall all of it. It is a 12. Nice bore. Some kind of old rubber recoil pad that is crumbly. I'd say original. The rust obscures about 1/3 of the lettering on the rib. No cracks. Dings on the breech ends of the right barrel. Nice forearm. Maybe 60% blue with pretty deep rust spots. Maybe 40% case colors.

Is it time to snap up Trojans?

This one hefts and points about like my Fox Sterlingworth, which I love. That Fox is in much better shape than this Trojan, and cost, in fantactic condition, less that they want for this Parker, which is shabby. If the Trojan was mine I'd have to do a lot of work on it to make it presentable. However it feels and locks up like a nice shooter. It comes nicely to shoulder and my eye falls on the bead.

So what is a body to do? I can afford the this Trojan....just....maybe. Maybe not. Not sure. It'd be hard. Is a Trojan worth the effort?
Steve McCarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-16-2011, 12:58 AM   #2
Pittypatdugan
PGCA Member

Member Info

In order to tell you what is the price?
Pat Dugan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-16-2011, 02:17 AM   #3
todd allen
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 3,278 Times in 1,135 Posts

1st rule, post pictures. No seller should object to you taking a few innocents pic's.
todd allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-16-2011, 05:45 PM   #4
Steve McCarty
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat Dugan View Post
In order to tell you what is the price?
$1,100.
Unread 10-16-2011, 05:56 PM   #5
Steve McCarty
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by todd allen View Post
1st rule, post pictures. No seller should object to you taking a few innocents pic's.
I wonder if they will allow me to snap some pics. These people are a little loosy goosy about such things. I guess I could tell them a friend is interested and wants pics. I'll see.

I'm picking up my GH tomorrow. I'd have that Trojan in a heart beat if I had not just sprung a G for the GH, which I think is a neater gun. However I see on the various gun sales sites some pretty inexpensive GH guns about like mine; like $1500.

I've also seen some Trojans for $3K, but they looked better than this one.

I'm looking forward to posting pics of my GH and getting you guys' opinons of it.

I guess Parker started making the Trojan in the teens, which means it was/is comparable to the Sterlingworth. Am I correct?
Unread 10-16-2011, 09:30 PM   #6
Pittypatdugan
PGCA Member

Member Info

It sounds like a 4- 6 hundred dollar Parker. Asa Kelley saw one in a local pawn shop that was at most a 100 parts gun that the owner said was valued at 1100 dollars by the blue book, so be very carefull

PDD
Pat Dugan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-17-2011, 07:30 AM   #7
B. Dudley
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 17,551 Times in 4,623 Posts

Yeah, book value on a Trojan in poor condition is $600. And if it is very rough, anything over that would not really be a good buy. But without seeing it and taking it all in, it is hard to say. If it is just surface rist, that could be cleaned up fairly well.

The Sterlingworths are pretty much on par with the lower grade Parkers, but I would say more with the V grades. The level of finish on the sterlingworths is nicer than the Trojans. However a Sterlingworth will usually always be priced lower than a comparable Parker.
Unread 10-17-2011, 12:39 PM   #8
Steve McCarty
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat Dugan View Post
It sounds like a 4- 6 hundred dollar Parker. Asa Kelley saw one in a local pawn shop that was at most a 100 parts gun that the owner said was valued at 1100 dollars by the blue book, so be very carefull

PDD
Exactly! My sense as well. SS# in the 202,000 range. Is that a late one? Could it be so late that it is a parts gun? Don't know much about Trojans. Hope to pick up my new GH today!

Steve