Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

Should I clean it?
Unread 10-03-2011, 03:11 PM   #1
Ray Masciarella
Forum Associate

Member Info

Default Should I clean it?

I just bought another old Parker. What is called "as found" meaning it has years of dust, dirt, dried oil, etc. but very charming in its own way. The "grunge" look!!!

Now, should I clean it up or leave it alone? In other words, I could clean up the stock, remove the dried oil from frame, etc. I'm going to clean and oil the mechanics so I can go shoot the old rascal but I could still leave the old grunge.

What do you think?

Ray
Ray Masciarella is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-03-2011, 03:26 PM   #2
Bruce Day
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 15,615 Times in 2,667 Posts

A gun is a reflection of its owner. What do you take pride in?
Bruce Day is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-03-2011, 05:02 PM   #3
Richard Flanders
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 5,538 Times in 1,717 Posts

If it's that grungy on the outside it may be a real mess inside, to the point of potentially being unsafe. I take all my Parkers apart and clean/inspect/repair them to make sure they're safe to carry around other hunters and dogs. You'd be amazed at the stuff you find inside a gun that has not been dismantled in many decades. Can you post pictures of the gun?
Richard Flanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-03-2011, 05:35 PM   #4
Ray Masciarella
Forum Associate

Member Info

Matbe I overstated the "grunge". it's just been under a bed for Lord knows how long. Dusty. Stock could use a good rub down with mineral spirits to clean surface. Frame has coats of old dired oil but still has some CCH under it all. Barrels nice/clean. Who knows what is inside-that's why I need to take a part and clean. Very nice gun to shoot. Good barrel thickness.

I never have figured out how to post photos or I would. Is there some place on this site that tells how to do it?

Ray
The Following User Says Thank You to Ray Masciarella For Your Post:
Unread 10-03-2011, 05:49 PM   #5
Bruce Day
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 15,615 Times in 2,667 Posts

look to the top of the page. FAQ.
Bruce Day is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-03-2011, 07:16 PM   #6
Bindlestiff
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 2,924 Times in 869 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Masciarella View Post

I never have figured out how to post photos or I would. Is there some place on this site that tells how to do it?

Ray
Ray,

There are instructions on how to post pictures in the FAQ section of this forum, see the FAQ link at the top of this page.

There are also video(s) on posting pictures to be found on the FAQ page linked off of the www.parkerguns.org main page too (two different FAQ pages). That should get you going.
Robin Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-04-2011, 10:53 AM   #7
Ray Masciarella
Forum Associate

Member Info

I always listed as a "forum member" but I'm a PGCA Member! How do I get this changed?

Ray
Unread 10-04-2011, 11:27 AM   #8
Autumn Daze
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 4,048 Times in 1,727 Posts

Ray, Contact John Dunkle and he will take care of it for you.
Unread 10-10-2011, 02:31 AM   #9
Steve McCarty
Forum Associate

Member Info

Just cleaning a gun is no sin, it's good. That old oil can and probably has soaked into the wood. I always clean my old guns but I stop at refurbishing them. I don't reblue, etc. Sometimes I steam a stock to lift out some dings and sometimes I hit the metal parts with Liquid Wrench soaked 0000 steel wool. I also take it apart. I've found bugs in there, old bits of string and lots of dust and grime. Remove the gunk. I brush the parts with a tooth brush soaked in Hoppies No. 9. I also pass a patch and usually a copper wire brush down the bores, then I run about a dozen patches down there. I apply a thin coat of gun oil on the metal parts. I never put linseed oil on the wood. That stuff turns black over time.

Sometimes I apply beeswax to the stock, but I'm careful.

Clean up your Parker. Don't scrub it with anything. I avoid bright varnish like finishes like Tru Oil. Usually.
Steve McCarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-10-2011, 07:26 AM   #10
Ray Masciarella
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thx. I do intend to clean and oil it, ie lock and barrel. What I don't want to do is anything that would effect the value as the gun is a fairly rare, collectible gun. I was wondering whether dried oil, a little grime here and there was best left alone. It is all part of the patina i guess. I would not do anything with steel wool or fix any dings in stock.

If the recommendation is to clean the dried oil, does anyone have a recommendation on how to do it without effecting the CCH?

For those interested, I did find a product that does a nice job on cleaning up a stock without effecting whatever finish is left on it. Furniture refinishers use it to "rejuvenate" the old finish. I have never seen it available for sale of the shelf. They order it trough their commercial sources. I have no idea of the mixture but it does a great job of restoring what finish is left. Adds nothing and takes nothing away. Just rejuvenates what is there.

I just go to the local furniture refinisher and he gives me some in a jar as it is supplies in larger quantities. A little bit goes a long way