Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Non-Parker Specific & General Discussions Shotgun Shell Reloading

Notices

16 gauge paper hull recipe
Unread 10-27-2023, 06:34 PM   #1
Jeff Elder
PGCA Member

Member Info

Default 16 gauge paper hull recipe

I came into possession of 300 new in the box 2 3/4 paper federal 16 gauge with primers in them, only problem is I can’t find any recipe for them. Any of you fine gentlemen have one or two or three you could share? I’ve never reloaded paper hulls before.

Thank you

Jeff
Jeff Elder is offline   Reply With Quote
Visit Jeff Elder's homepage!
Unread 11-08-2023, 08:56 PM   #2
Harold Pickens
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,829 Times in 2,017 Posts

I've got around 50 16 g RST paper hulls I would give away for the cost of shipping if you want them Jeff.
Unread 11-08-2023, 09:06 PM   #3
Jeff Elder
PGCA Member

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harold Lee Pickens View Post
I've got around 50 16 g RST paper hulls I would give away for the cost of shipping if you want them Jeff.

I appreciate that offer very much, but I’m just trying to figure out how to load what I have just so I don’t waste them
Unread 11-08-2023, 09:26 PM   #4
J. Scott Hanes
PGCA Member

Member Info

Ballistic Products has a 16 gauge reloading manual. It may have a recipe for paper. Hodgdon does not have anything for paper shells.
J. Scott Hanes is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to J. Scott Hanes For Your Post:
Unread 11-09-2023, 05:42 PM   #5
Jeff Elder
PGCA Member

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Scott Hanes View Post
Ballistic Products has a 16 gauge reloading manual. It may have a recipe for paper. Hodgdon does not have anything for paper shells.

I have it and sadly no info on those hulls.
Unread 11-09-2023, 08:26 PM   #6
J. Scott Hanes
PGCA Member

Member Info

If you call Hodgdon, they may have a long-time employee that has some information; however that person may not be allowed to divulge such due to liability.

Maybe Drew Hause (member here) has some old information about reloading back in the day when there was no plastic hull. Or maybe an old reloading manual before 1965.
J. Scott Hanes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-09-2023, 09:30 PM   #7
J. A. EARLY
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,693 Times in 871 Posts

I have the Lyman Shotshell Handbooks. In the second edition there is only info for plastic cases.

The first edition has tons of info for Federal Paper cases. However, most of the loads use fiber cushions and shot cups. The only one listed for a modern wad is for

SR 7625 (DISCONTINUED) 23 grains, 1 1/8 ounce, Federal 209 primer, Remington Power Piston W29934 (whatever that is), 9,400 L.U.P, 1235 f.p.s., folded crimp.

Page 130 So I don't know how you would use that. I doubt this helps.

You could load some and have them tested before use if you have the powder.
Jerry Harlow is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jerry Harlow For Your Post:
Unread 11-10-2023, 06:23 AM   #8
edgarspencer
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 11,547 Times in 3,106 Posts

Allow me to first state, that using my info is at your own risk.
It would make sense that the Federal NPE (New Primed Empty) hulls are using Federal primers. If I were starting out fresh, I'd look for a load that is also using Federal primers.
The hull is simply a vessel which contains all the elements. Once you've found a recipe that indicates a pressure you're comfortable with, determine if that recipe allows you to get a satisfactory charge which will crimp well.
My experience finds that paper likes an 8 point folded crimp better than 6 point.
Since The paper 16ga hulls I load are for early guns, with 2 3/8" chambers. I start by trimming my hulls with a 2 1/2" shell being the final product the goal. The recipe you like may call for some primer other than the Federal, so re-prime them first, then drop your powder and shot on a lightly compressed wad. If your charge of powder, wad and shot gives you a column that crimps well, it's fair to assume this load will be in the general vicinity of the pressure given for the recipe you're following.
I use an SG16 wad, and 7625 powder, which won't help you unless you're got a stash of 7625. I drop 7/8oz of shot. This charge gives me adequate freeboard to fold crimp, but I also like a roll crimped paper shell. Without further trimming, the rolled crimp is slightly (less than 1/16") higher than normal. I've never found the height of the roll crimp to affect the pressure, but do find that rolled crimps, in general, yield lower pressures than folded crimps.
I'm sure I've forgotten some other details, but I think I've covered the details which affect pressure.
edgarspencer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to edgarspencer For Your Post:
Unread 11-10-2023, 11:02 AM   #9
Jeff Elder
PGCA Member

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Harlow View Post
I have the Lyman Shotshell Handbooks. In the second edition there is only info for plastic cases.

The first edition has tons of info for Federal Paper cases. However, most of the loads use fiber cushions and shot cups. The only one listed for a modern wad is for

SR 7625 (DISCONTINUED) 23 grains, 1 1/8 ounce, Federal 209 primer, Remington Power Piston W29934 (whatever that is), 9,400 L.U.P, 1235 f.p.s., folded crimp.

Page 130 So I don't know how you would use that. I doubt this helps.

You could load some and have them tested before use if you have the powder.

Think the test route might be what I’m going have to do if I want to use them up. Just hate paying for that on some one and done hulls.
Unread 11-10-2023, 11:05 AM   #10
Jeff Elder
PGCA Member

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by edgarspencer View Post
Allow me to first state, that using my info is at your own risk.
It would make sense that the Federal NPE (New Primed Empty) hulls are using Federal primers. If I were starting out fresh, I'd look for a load that is also using Federal primers.
The hull is simply a vessel which contains all the elements. Once you've found a recipe that indicates a pressure you're comfortable with, determine if that recipe allows you to get a satisfactory charge which will crimp well.
My experience finds that paper likes an 8 point folded crimp better than 6 point.
Since The paper 16ga hulls I load are for early guns, with 2 3/8" chambers. I start by trimming my hulls with a 2 1/2" shell being the final product the goal. The recipe you like may call for some primer other than the Federal, so re-prime them first, then drop your powder and shot on a lightly compressed wad. If your charge of powder, wad and shot gives you a column that crimps well, it's fair to assume this load will be in the general vicinity of the pressure given for the recipe you're following.
I use an SG16 wad, and 7625 powder, which won't help you unless you're got a stash of 7625. I drop 7/8oz of shot. This charge gives me adequate freeboard to fold crimp, but I also like a roll crimped paper shell. Without further trimming, the rolled crimp is slightly (less than 1/16") higher than normal. I've never found the height of the roll crimp to affect the pressure, but do find that rolled crimps, in general, yield lower pressures than folded crimps.
I'm sure I've forgotten some other details, but I think I've covered the details which affect pressure.

Thank you. I actually have a stash of 7625, it came in same deal the 16 gauge hulls came in
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jeff Elder For Your Post: