Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

Interesting Provenance
Unread 08-09-2018, 03:58 PM   #1
TxHuntermn
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,318 Times in 755 Posts

Default Interesting Provenance

Recently I purchased a "basket case" early (113,885) VH 20. Multiple barrel dents and dings, serious dent in forearm wood, loose hinge pin, and a stock that was literally held together with duct tape. But, uncut barrels with decent or better bores, and decent metal condition helped a little. I bought the gun right. Well, I sent the gun to Dave Wolf in Waco for "triage", Dave inspected the gun and called with his report. He gave me a price, "IF" after de oiling the wood he still felt that it was salvageable. He said that there were 9 major compound fractures in the wrist of the gun, and that it was severely oil soaked. I agreed to the price (GULP) and Dave called a few days later to report that the de oiling had gone well, and that the actual wood condition was good. He also said that if the repair could be done, it would rank the very top percentile of resurrections to his credit. Well he called the other day, and said he did it, and that he felt like a proud papa the way it turned out. I asked him at the outset not to lose the "patina" of 106 years of use, and he said he accomplished that also! Cant wait to see it, but its on its way to Briley for a re-joint and ding raising exercise!

So, on to the 'Provenance part", I bought the gun from a man named Snow, and he advertised that it had been his great grandfathers gun since new, and that his grand dad was from High Point NC where he had been an avid quail hunter. Well, when I got the gun in hand, and upon closer inspection, there was another name scratched into the bottom rib, under the forearm A.H ****, High Point North Carolina. I called Mr. Snow, the seller to see if he had any insight. He said nope, but that his 90 year old Dad was still sharp as could be, and he would see what his dad had to say . His Dad told him that Granddad had a 1920 vintage AHE 20, that he was extremely proud of, his name was W.E. Snow, and owned and operated Snow Lumber in High Point. Mr. A.H. **** (the name inscribed on the gun) was a local hunting guide, that his Grandad used frequently, and that the guide came to Mr. Snow at some point, saying he had a trip booked with some real "high fohlootin" clients from up north, and could he borrow Mr. Snow's Parker for that trip to impress the clients. The guide left the VH that is now in my possession with Mr. Snow as "security". Well the guide never returned the gun, and Mr. Snow, and two sons after him shot it even after almost breaking the stock in two at some point. I thought it was a cool story!

Got the letter today. I had not measured the stock, as frankly I was almost certain that I would be replacing it. decent dimensions at 14 1/4" LOP and 2 2/3rds" DAH, 6 pounds three ounces. the most surprising thing were the chokes. RH cylinder, LH modified. Here are a few "before" pics! will post afters when done....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg snow1.jpg (51.9 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg snow3.jpg (44.8 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg snow5.jpg (57.3 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg snow7.jpg (53.0 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg snow8.jpg (58.7 KB, 8 views)
Unread 08-09-2018, 05:23 PM   #2
Southpaw
Forum Associate

Member Info

Nice Mark. What a wonderful link knowing the history of the gun and stories with it. Wonder what happened to the AHE. Horsetrading comes to mind.
Todd Poer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-09-2018, 09:21 PM   #3
wayne goerres
Forum Associate

Member Info

Not quite as good as Gorilla tape but apparently almost as good. Good enough to shoot for many years.
wayne goerres is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-10-2018, 11:08 AM   #4
Mike Poindexter
PGCA Member

Member Info

Looks like the old Winchesters wrapped with rawhide around the grip. Works in a pinch. Glad the repair turned out so well.
Mike Poindexter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-11-2018, 09:04 AM   #5
Keavin Nelson
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 1,242 Times in 445 Posts

Can't wait for the after pictures!
Unread 08-11-2018, 11:48 AM   #6
TxHuntermn
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,318 Times in 755 Posts

Can’t wait to see how it turns out myself!! This is intended to be a “repair” project. The finish on the barrels is decent and there is very little finish left on action, trigger bow etc. there are three pretty significant dents in the barrels, two of which I believe may be associated with the event that snapped the stock at the wrist, Dave Wolf thinks the same, and one of those dents was associated with the major dent at the edge of the forearm. Fave reports that he was able to raise that dent so as almost impossible to see in the wood. That I don’t think is repairable without refinishing the barrels are the six or so pellet dings in the tubes. In my minds eye, given the degree of larceny the original owner was capable of, I picture these as a result of being discovered on a midnight raid of some angry farmers henhouse! (Making up “facts” )
Unread 08-13-2018, 01:27 PM   #7
Richard Flanders
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 5,538 Times in 1,717 Posts

This gun looks like it would clean up quite nicely if given a total redo. I'm guessing it has quite a story behind it.
Richard Flanders is offline   Reply With Quote