Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

Newbie Questions
Unread 10-24-2017, 12:05 PM   #1
James Michael Moyer
Forum Associate

Member Info

Default Newbie Questions

Alright fellas, couple of newbie questions here, I'll just go with "there is no such thing as a dumb question" saying and leave it at that. I went from 0 Parkers to 2 Parkers in 2 weeks. I think I have been bitten but the bug. I have always just been a shooter and not a collector. Guess I'm straddling the fence post now. I have tried using the search tool and still can't find a definitive answer so maybe this will help more newbs like myself. These arose trying to fill out the letter request.

What are the following differences of

Lifter
Top Action
Back Action
Hammerless (obvious)

What are the following differences on butt types

DHBP
Skeleton
Checkered (I see the difference here but may help someone else)
Recoil Pad (obvious)

Grip Type?

Capped Pistol Grip
Straight
Round
Ball

Also, not a gunsmith and never claim to be. I have never owned Damascus anything. So I don't want to do anything that hurts or can't be undone. With that being said, I do like to keep my guns clean. Can u clean these barrels just like any other blued gun or no? Use a bore snake or no? Best way to clean bores? Best way to clean outside? Would it be best just to send to qualified gunsmith first to totally breakdown and clean? At this point I have done nothing to clean them and my OCDness is KILLING ME HERE.

One other question and this is not the answer I wanted but still not going to ignore advice if it continues BY QUALIFIED gunsmith, of course. I've taken both guns (both demascus) to a local gunsmith. Without hesitating and with no inspection he said never shoot them only because they are demascus. I asked "even with special shell" he said no. My intentions are to shoot these guns sparingly year to year. That's what they r meant to do in my opinion. I want to take care of them but use them also. THe gunsmith admitted without hesitation also that these guns are not his specialty and I respect that. So my plan of action has been, order the letters, make sure there is no provenance that would make me not want to do certain things, send them to qualified gunsmith for inspection/repairs to bring them into shooting shape, get thumbs up or down, shoot them if possible, then decide to restore or not in the coming years. Is that the correct way of thinking? Most seems to be big on this Brian guy as a gunsmith and said it just takes time to get gun(s) which I am fine with too.

I know it's a long inquiry but may be helpful to have this info in one spot for the rookies... I'll go ahead and apologize for my OCDness too cause I know it drives people crazy. I promise I mean well though. One of my other hobbies is boats, lord knows I pick the wrong hobbies.
James Michael Moyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-24-2017, 12:33 PM   #2
Bindlestiff
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 2,924 Times in 869 Posts

James, I suggest that you go to our main web page www.parkerguns.org and on its left side is a list which are links to other pages. Click on a few and I think it will answer 90% of your questions. In particular look at "Parker Identification", "Parker Grades" (pictures will solve many of your most basic questions), "Technical Information" and look over the FAQ link too.

I am confident these pages will get you well on your way.

If you tell us where you are located (State will do) maybe you have a "qualified gunsmith near you that someone can post or PM to you?
Robin Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Robin Lewis For Your Post:
Unread 10-24-2017, 12:44 PM   #3
James Michael Moyer
Forum Associate

Member Info

Great state of AL. War Eagle.
Unread 10-24-2017, 01:51 PM   #4
Mills
PGCA Lifetime Member
Since 3rd Grade

Member Info

Thanked 12,345 Times in 4,421 Posts

There are several good books out there too, the best of which is The Parker Story.
Mills Morrison is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mills Morrison For Your Post:
Unread 10-24-2017, 04:41 PM   #5
Bindlestiff
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 2,924 Times in 869 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Michael Moyer View Post
One other question and this is not the answer I wanted but still not going to ignore advice if it continues BY QUALIFIED gunsmith, of course. I've taken both guns (both demascus) to a local gunsmith. Without hesitating and with no inspection he said never shoot them only because they are demascus. I asked "even with special shell" he said no. My intentions are to shoot these guns sparingly year to year. That's what they r meant to do in my opinion. I want to take care of them but use them also. THe gunsmith admitted without hesitation also that these guns are not his specialty and I respect that. So my plan of action has been, order the letters, make sure there is no provenance that would make me not want to do certain things, send them to qualified gunsmith for inspection/repairs to bring them into shooting shape, get thumbs up or down, shoot them if possible, then decide to restore or not in the coming years. Is that the correct way of thinking? Most seems to be big on this Brian guy as a gunsmith and said it just takes time to get gun(s) which I am fine with too.
As I pointed out above, look at the links on the main page. I just looked over the FAQ link and saw that this question may be answered in FAQ #1 in the "General Parker Knowledge" section. I forgot that was there....
Robin Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Robin Lewis For Your Post:
Unread 10-24-2017, 07:05 PM   #6
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,794 Times in 3,967 Posts

if your barrels are in fair shape you should be ok to shoot gun ws with proper ammo... keep presure low and you will be ok...coupla good companys out there that sale low presure ammo suitable for our old damascus barreled guns....charlie
charlie cleveland is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to charlie cleveland For Your Post:
Unread 10-24-2017, 07:22 PM   #7
Mills
PGCA Lifetime Member
Since 3rd Grade

Member Info

Thanked 12,345 Times in 4,421 Posts

What Charlie said. Most folks on here use RST
Mills Morrison is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mills Morrison For Your Post:
Unread 10-24-2017, 07:28 PM   #8
Quigley97
PGCA Member

Member Info

James,
I have three Parkers and two of them have Damascus barrels. I shoot them both just about every week. Just as Charlie mentioned above, if the barrels are fair or better shape then by all means use the proper ammo and enjoy.
Tom
Tom Pellegrini is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tom Pellegrini For Your Post:
Unread 10-24-2017, 07:44 PM   #9
B. Dudley
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 17,541 Times in 4,621 Posts

Any gunsmith who tells you not to shoot a damascus gun simply because it is damascus has no business looking at or working on vintage doubles.
Visit Brian Dudley's homepage!
Unread 10-25-2017, 10:46 AM   #10
James Michael Moyer
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mills Morrison View Post
There are several good books out there too, the best of which is The Parker Story.
Its already on its way!