Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Parker Hammer Guns

Notices

Shooting Parker #171
Unread 12-15-2019, 06:50 PM   #1
Jay Oliver
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 3,147 Times in 622 Posts

Default Shooting Parker #171

I had a little too much fun with this old back action today. This is actually the first back action I have shot, and today was my first day shooting it. I had someone raise a few dents in the barrles and I needed to replace a firing pin and spring. That was all it took to get it back in action other than a good careful cleaning.

I think the best part for for me was making 50 black powder shells with my daughter last night. I used a square load of 2 ½ drams of Goex 2f and 1oz. of 7 ½ shot. She wanted to help and usually I have her write “8s” on the overshot cards. I didn’t want to explain or complicate things by telling her to write 7 ½s(not sure why) so I said “Why don’t you pick a good design and draw it on each one” So we ended up with 50 Anchors, which seemed fitting living in the Ocean State. Our “Anchor” line of shotgun shells was born.

The gun shot better than I could have ever expected. In addition to black powder shells, I was also shooting some RST Faclon Ultra Lights 3/4oz at 1125fps. The gun did shoot the black powder shells very well, I made a few doubles that would have been nice shots with any gun. That made me happy

Here you can see a 150 year old Parker in action with the black powder shells: https://youtu.be/YKlsXZeBemQ

My daughter took the video this afternoon. Our “Anchor” shells didn’t have a very long shelf life, but made for a wonderful day.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BA1.jpg (113.3 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg BA2.jpg (170.6 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg BA3.jpg (146.1 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg BA4.jpg (188.0 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg BA4a.jpg (180.8 KB, 10 views)
Jay Oliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-15-2019, 06:52 PM   #2
Jay Oliver
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Here is some more information and pictures of the gun. As you can see this one was certainly used. The hammers are from #1438. Left hammer screw is not original but a Parker screw doesn’t fit so I will leave this “period” repair alone. The decarbonized steel barrels have been cut to 27”. It did seem like there was a little more choke in the left barrel. The buttplate doesn’t seem original, and the buttstock has some filler around the locks. Buttplate looks like a replacement.

Still it’s an early Parker and it makes me want to track down a more complete back action Parkers. I did find the serial number before this one, #170 that sold in 2011. Here is the link, even with the few issues, that is a beautiful gun: https://poulinantiques.hibid.com/lot...fter-shotgun-/

I would like to have that one! Though I had a lot of fun with the one I own today…
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BA5.jpg (107.5 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg BA6.jpg (141.6 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg BA7.jpg (166.7 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg BA8.jpg (84.2 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg BA9.jpg (47.9 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg BA10.jpg (64.3 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg BA11.jpg (67.1 KB, 3 views)
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jay Oliver For Your Post:
Unread 12-15-2019, 09:19 PM   #3
Matt Buckley
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,182 Times in 260 Posts

Cool video of you shooting the old girl. I have 6 and 8 year old daughters that like to help me reload shells also. When I load up some brass again for the 10 I purchased from you I will have to let them get creative with the overshot cards also. I shot my second nice tom with that 10 this spring by the way. Now I need to add a 12 or 16 Parker hammer to the collection.
Matt Buckley is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Matt Buckley For Your Post:
Unread 12-15-2019, 10:00 PM   #4
Mills
PGCA Lifetime Member
Since 3rd Grade

Member Info

Thanked 12,306 Times in 4,411 Posts

That is way cool!
Mills Morrison is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mills Morrison For Your Post:
Unread 12-15-2019, 10:02 PM   #5
Jay Oliver
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanks Matt, my daughter is 8 as well and I also have a 6 year old son. We always have fun reloading. All day today if I missed with an RST shell she would say try an "Anchor" shell and more often then not I would hit the target. It's fun and we get to spend time with one another. We are just a few years away when we will be shooting together and I can't wait!

I know you have taken some nice turkeys with that #3 frame 10 gauge lifter and black powder shells. Yes definitely find a 12 and 16. It's not too hard to find a good deal on a 12ga. hammer gun in a lower grade, which is perfect for putting black powder shells through.

I find I enjoy the whole process of loading those brass shells. I know it's work and a mess, but I like that you are shooting the shells the gun would have used when it was new.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jay Oliver For Your Post:
Unread 12-16-2019, 12:13 PM   #6
Mills
PGCA Lifetime Member
Since 3rd Grade

Member Info

I have back action 152 and it is a prized gun. I would love to add a two digit serial number sometime.
Unread 12-16-2019, 02:40 PM   #7
Jay Oliver
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Mills, I remember when you first posted about your #152 and shooting it. It is exciting to take these early Parkers back into the field or out for some clays. I agree with you about finding earlier ones as well. I would love to find a higher grade back action with damscus or laminated barrels.

Seems like I remember seeing more back action guns available 3-5 years ago. I missed out on a few nice ones when I didn't know much about them. I hope to add a few more to my collection as time goes on.

I may see if I can put together a preserve hunt up here and take #171 out for some pheasant and chukar with my black powder shells. I think that would be very fun.
Unread 12-16-2019, 08:59 PM   #8
John Gardner
PGCA Member

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mills Morrison View Post
I have back action 152 and it is a prized gun. I would love to add a two digit serial number sometime.
Hi Jay, Great pics and video. Love the old shells. Little jealous of your daughter's support as my son at that age, when chucking clays for his old man said " gee Dad, you sort of suck at this". I've made some modest improvements since then but not too much. ;-)

My back action also has a non-Parker left side screw, among other bits of wear but she all goes together although unlike my other Parkers I have not shot her more for concern over the wood than the metal.

Hope OK to respond to Mills on the two digit front, assuming the '0' doesn't count. Here are some pics of my oldest lifter.
John G Gardner is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to John G Gardner For Your Post:
Visit John G Gardner's homepage!
Unread 12-17-2019, 12:41 AM   #9
Jay Oliver
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

John, that is a a nice one and it doesn't get much earlier than that! What a great Parker! It looks to be all there. Are the barrels 30"?

As far as shooting goes I took it easy with mine knowing the age and barrel steel. The most recoil, which wasn't much, was out of the black powder shells 1oz and 2 1/2 drams.
I never felt like I was putting too much stress on the gun.

The RST 3/4 oz. shells didn't have hardly any recoil and performed well. I shot some of my ultra ultra light reloads, which are 5/8oz. and 14 grains of Red Dot(those pink/red shells in one of the pictures). Those were like shooting a .22 and I was still hitting targets.

The most fun of course was with the black powder shells. I think you could back off to a 20 gauge load of 7/8oz and 2 1/4 drams and still have some fun.

Oh and my daughter will give me the business at some stations if I can't figure out a target or miss a few. This video was just at a "good" station
The Following User Says Thank You to Jay Oliver For Your Post:
Unread 12-17-2019, 09:28 AM   #10
Mills
PGCA Lifetime Member
Since 3rd Grade

Member Info

John, thanks for sharing!