Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

Unread 02-05-2021, 03:59 PM   #41
Quigley97
PGCA Member

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Romig View Post
Tom, That's not the case at all. The Board of Directors listens to each and every member who voices his or her opinion both Annual and Life Members. The fact that they don't make their decisions based on just a few members but on what's best for the entire organization and the wishes of the majority. That's a true democracy. Unfortunately for the few with opposing points of view, even though they're heard and considered, things don't necessarily work out the way they had wished. The PGCA is composed of some 1,300 - 1,400 members and the BOD makes decisions based on what's best for the organization, not for the individual... or the few.
They have tried to hold the Annual Meeting in localities or states where there has been an outcry by a few that it is never held close enough to their homes.... and that hasn't worked out so well because of low turnout.

They can't please everybody all of the time but our BOD (which is made up of dedicated VOLUNTEERS just like you and me and everybody else) is always trying to do a good job... and I think they do very well.

Dean,
Thank you for your response. I have been told by a number of life members, I will not mention names, that my annual dues are just the means to access the for sale section on the forum, allow the annual member to try to qualify for the Parker Smith Challenge, and receive the quarterly magazine. No other privileges. The annual members, the ones who keep the PGCA afloat paying our dues each year. Life members, who are 20% of the total membership and the only ones with voting rights, pay what, a high price for a ticket to a dinner once a year and buy some raffle tickets. Every other organization that I belong to I have voting rights even if I am NOT a life member. I asked about this a number of times in the past and one very prominent life member sarcastically answered me with "that ain't never going to happen in your life time." I feel this needs to be changed, after all we are in the 21st century.
Tom Pellegrini is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tom Pellegrini For Your Post:
Unread 02-05-2021, 04:03 PM   #42
Reggie B
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 3,462 Times in 1,372 Posts

I know nothing about membership %s but I would think that annual members make up a greater percentage of the total membership than 20%? I would think it would be more like 80%. But I have no information to base that on other than my wild imagination!
Unread 02-05-2021, 04:44 PM   #43
ED J, MORGAN
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Annual members also donate time and money setting up displays at shows, selling raffle tickets , buying tickets, working on various committees etc.
ED J, MORGAN is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to ED J, MORGAN For Your Post:
Unread 02-05-2021, 04:48 PM   #44
Quigley97
PGCA Member

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reggie Bishop View Post
I know nothing about membership %s but I would think that annual members make up a greater percentage of the total membership than 20%? I would think it would be more like 80%. But I have no information to base that on other than my wild imagination!
My apologies Reggie. I got that backwards. The life members are the 20%. My mistake.
Tom Pellegrini is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-05-2021, 04:50 PM   #45
B. Dudley
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 17,641 Times in 4,629 Posts

I felt like the Banquet at Traditions in Vestal/Binghamton was very nice at the last Vintage cup. If it were not on held on the last day of the shoot, I think it would have been much better attended. And this year it will be on Friday, so perfect.
The Vestal/Binghamton area is a good choice for the event as it is really the closest area that can be considered civilization that has venues that would be appropriate for such an event. And the hotel accommodations for many of us that stay in a hotel are in Vestal. So for those going to the banquet and back to our hotel, it is ideal.

Yes, the 30 minute drive to Vestal from Ernies is tiring, I know, I drive it every morning and every night going back and forth to the event. If someone staying at Ernies really would like to attend the event, then it should not be a major ordeal to make the trip once. Just my opinion.

Last year at the Vintage cup there was a VERY nice social hour with drinks and light food held in the wedding tent below the house on site. It was a great area for a gathering yes.

Now, the prime rib dinner held later on was a little less enjoyable as we were eating in the Dark.

Anyway... I personally look forward to the event, if it takes place and any other shooting even that may happen this upcoming year.
Visit Brian Dudley's homepage!
Unread 02-05-2021, 09:08 PM   #46
edgarspencer
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 11,576 Times in 3,114 Posts

Brian, Bring your jeans and a folding chair, and we'll make a shitkicker out of you yet.
edgarspencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-06-2021, 07:07 AM   #47
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,330 Times in 12,399 Posts

Very good points Brian. I hope to see you there.

George King, "That's Ruff", 2010 - a timeless classic.
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-06-2021, 07:18 AM   #48
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Pellegrini View Post
Dean,
Thank you for your response.

Life members, who are 20% of the total membership and the only ones with voting rights, pay what, a high price for a ticket to a dinner once a year and buy some raffle tickets.

Tom, I don’t understand that comment... Are you saying that you believe life members get a free ticket to the banquet? And raffle tickets... what?

If you’d rather take this discussion (and I would so as not to complicate the original message of this thread) off line and discuss it by PM I would be happy to.

Best, Dean

Unread 02-06-2021, 07:23 AM   #49
Double Lab
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 6,349 Times in 2,450 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by edgarspencer View Post
Brian, Bring your jeans and a folding chair, and we'll make a shitkicker out of you yet.
Have I reached the rank of sh$tkicker yet? I probably have the T shirt around here somewhere.
Unread 02-06-2021, 07:29 AM   #50
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Incidentally, the ONLY voting rights a life member has is in the election of BOD members, nothing else.

The Following User Says Thank You to Dean Romig For Your Post: