Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

Unread 01-17-2021, 08:55 PM   #21
Mike of the Mountain
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,864 Times in 2,674 Posts

The highest serial number for a Trojan on the Parkers Found list is 226709. It is a James P Hayes prototype. This gun was featured in the DGJ, Summer 2013, written by Brian Dudley.
Mike Koneski is offline   Reply With Quote
Visit Mike Koneski's homepage!
Unread 01-17-2021, 08:57 PM   #22
Researcher
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 7,833 Times in 2,362 Posts

Quote:
I think all the post sale guns had "Parker" engraved on the bottom while the pre-sale guns say "Parker Bros" on the sides.
There are transition era guns that don't have either. This example is a 20-gauge 235719 --

235719 03 no Parker.jpg

235719 06a no Parker Bros..jpg

We still find the PARKER BROS. MAKERS MERIDEN, CT, U.S.A. rib legend into the 240xxx range like this GHE 240492 --

240492 12.jpg
Dave Noreen is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dave Noreen For Your Post:
Unread 01-17-2021, 09:06 PM   #23
Keith Doty
PGCA Member

Member Info

Bruce, honestly I didn't consider that. I saw the barrels assembled on the receiver looking "too good" for the wear on the receiver and the weep hole and jumped to conclusion. I wasn't aware that Remington used a weep hole on new production. That said, I'm still of the opinion they were re-blued, they just don't match the wear I see on the receiver. Same with the stock.
Keith Doty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-17-2021, 09:06 PM   #24
todd allen
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 3,256 Times in 1,129 Posts

If that is an original untouched gun, it would be a mistake to open the chokes. If it's been refinished, not so much.
My go to gun is a 32" VHE 12, with Full/Full. I have killed a lot of desert quail with that gun. Also have a 28" Trojan 20 with Mod/Full chokes. A fun little quail and grouse gun.
That's a beautiful Trojan. Use it in good health!
todd allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-17-2021, 09:33 PM   #25
Harold Pickens
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,798 Times in 2,013 Posts

Really nice Trojan--you did well. I have a PH 20 with steel barrels choked F/F. From TPS there were only about 100 PH 20's with Parker steel barrels in 28". Have other open choked 20's , so wont change them.(It's also a bit of a pig for an O frame 20 weighing 6 lbs 12 oz)
Unread 01-17-2021, 09:50 PM   #26
Victor Wasylyna
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 1,471 Times in 331 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Doty View Post
When Remington bought Parker evidently they didn't get "Parker Bros"
This is a myth that keeps going around. Remington owned the PARKER BROS. mark—in addition to the PARKER mark (and several other PARKER-related marks)—up until October 23, 2020, when JJE - PARKER BRANDS, LLC acquired Remington’s Parker assets. See attachment.

-Victor
Attached Files
File Type: pdf assignment-tm-7120-0075.pdf (176.8 KB, 32 views)
Victor Wasylyna is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Victor Wasylyna For Your Post:
Unread 01-17-2021, 09:56 PM   #27
Andy
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,460 Times in 969 Posts

I looked very carefully and I can see around the butt plate small specks of varnish or finish so it looks like at least a coat was applied with the butt plate on. I could scratch it off with my fingernail and it’s too hard to be dried oil. None on the gun metal was found but in the right light I can see where small areas have the top coat missing up near the top lever. I’m not versed in the finishes of gun stocks but something was applied for sure but it’s probably an armchair gunsmith or not one specializing in refinishing. It will be a shooter.
Unread 01-18-2021, 12:31 AM   #28
Alfred Greeson
PGCA Member

Member Info

I would say that Trojan is a candidate for discussion at one of the serious meets where others can take a look at it. I am no expert but my money says the metal is original and you may have an extra coat of varnish applied but I would not alter it at all.
Alfred Greeson is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-18-2021, 05:58 AM   #29
Andy
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,460 Times in 969 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfred Greeson View Post
I would say that Trojan is a candidate for discussion at one of the serious meets where others can take a look at it. I am no expert but my money says the metal is original and you may have an extra coat of varnish applied but I would not alter it at all.
I will bring it to my first SxS event this year. Thank you Alfred
Unread 01-18-2021, 07:02 AM   #30
Cold Spring
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 6,308 Times in 1,217 Posts

Just my opinion and I know it goes against the grain of purist collectors but so often it seems gents take the tact of trying to sustain a 99% museum piece even though not warranted. If the gun isn't in very high original condition what's wrong with PROPERLY opening the tight choke(s) on a 26 or 28" double gun that its owner wants to use for serious upland hunting? No I'm not talking about some shade tree gunsmith using an adjustable reamer from the muzzle ends and going to something like Cylinder and IC for spray & pray shooting. But in 16b something like 12 and 20 thou choking (Lt Mod and I-Mod) is the nuts for a good upland and clays combo. And the more you shoot clays with that gun the better you and it do when out hunting.

Again all this is my opinion but it's based in part by seeing so many gents at shooting events doing upland-oriented courses with tightly choked vintage double guns and coming back in tearing up their cards and with excuses galore. Net they own a gun that might be good to look at and show around at events or in the gun room, but is a handicap where it counts. And often that's the opposite of their intent in buying the gun.

Surely there are different perspectives on things and I value that. This is mine from a lifetime of shooting and upland hunting with double guns.
Frank Srebro is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Frank Srebro For Your Post: