Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
"Kf" or "K" in place of Barrel Steel on bbl flat
Unread 10-13-2016, 05:16 PM   #1
Gunner
Forum Associate

Member Info

Default "Kf" or "K" in place of Barrel Steel on bbl flat

I'd like to do a survey of the time period when "K" or "Kf" was substituted for the barrel steel symbol on the barrel flat. I've thought that this might be a good subject for "Parkers Found" but we don't seem to have this feature in our fine publication any longer.

So who has a Parker Bros or gun(s):
  • with "K" or "Kf";
  • without barrel steel marking on barrel flat
  • what is the serial number and date of manufature?

A new owner asked "2. What possible explanation is there for the barrel flats missing a mark indicating the type of barrel steel."

My response was, "Kingston to answer Q 2, Kf replaced markings for barrel steel during the time your gun was made."

Dean repectfully disagrees with my statement saying, "Gunner, I respectfully disagree with your explanation of the missing barrel steel stamp.
Thousands of guns produced both before and after 1906 have the barrel steel stamped on the forward end of the right barrel flat. And both Charles A. King's stamp along with the barrel steel stamp appear on most guns of the period, from what I've witnessed."

I don't disagree with Dean in that thousands of guns were produced before and after 1906 with the barrel steel stamp. I'm not certain that both King's stamp along with the barrel steel stamp appear on most guns of the period.
But what is the period? Certainly the majority of PB guns had the barrel steel stamp.

So having been corrected I went to the gun safe and looked at guns from SN 6xx to 232xxx. Very early lifters didn't have any bbl steel stamp on the barrel flat but that is not the period we are discussing.

The Brian Spires gun under discussion is SN 134796. I found the following guns marked as follows:

104906 Kf
112966 K
115154 T with concave radius top and bottom for twist bbls
135105 K

The one anomaly in the above 5 guns is a composite barrel that has the barrel steel stamp on the flats. Also of my other 3 guns only 135105 also has "w.k." in an oval.

I have noticed many other guns for sale bearing the King stamp that did not have the barrel steel indicated.

So I'd like to see this polite difference of an opinion turn into a research project and perhaps we can identify the period and the earliest and latest gun marked with the "K" or "Kf" alone.

I fully expect that there will be overlap with some guns having barrel steel stamps within what otherwise is the K period.

So will you pitch-in?
Please respond with

SN and date of manufacture

K or Kf

Barrel steel stamp on barrel flat if any if K or Kf is present

w.f. in oval if present
Erick Dorr is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Erick Dorr For Your Post: