Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Hunting with Parkers

Notices

Pop always said there would be days like this...
Unread 11-30-2020, 09:36 PM   #1
mobirdhunter
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 9,468 Times in 3,042 Posts

Default Pop always said there would be days like this...

...but he didn't say there would be so many in a row! He liked to say that on days when you came home with an empty game pouch you got "skunked." Now you are probably guessing at what I'm about to reveal, but hang on, things get, well...better, or is it, worse?

A spate of nice weather days saw us afield after quail. The nice weather had me counting my birds before I'd taken a shot, sure that we would get some nice shooting on farms we knew held coveys. The birds were there...sometimes -- my luck and shooting skills were not. If you think this is report of great shooting and birds bagged, you should stop reading now.

Hunting wild quail as you find them is an endeavor in many things, none the least of which is luck. You just cannot plan on the birds being there, the dogs handling them well, decent shots presenting themselves, and your shooting skills not deserting you. We took some birds, but had slim chances, and I missed shots I normally would make, or at least that's how I remembered it. Some places where we had found birds in the past were birdless, but we found some new coveys for future hunts. Although we were fortunate enough to take our share of birds, we were "skunked" more often than not, and on one hunt Aspen was skunked for real (hey, Skunk Off really helps!). All in all, it was 21st Century wild quail hunting in the Mid-West at its unpredictably finest; which means, you win some and lose some.

I think Pop would understand that getting skunked is not so bad after all. We saw some beautiful country, burned off some calories, got to watch the dogs do what they live for, and made some memories. I got to carry another man's 100 year old gun and savor the experience. I was hunting wild birds on their terms. And I'll go again tomorrow.

Photos:
1. I thought we had a covey in the open on this point. When I moved in I saw a white-striped tail in the air, but too late. The skunk got Aspen in the face. The poor guy didn't know what hit him, and he hated the clean-up process. But you have to admit, it looks like a great point.
2. Aspen before we got the burrs from his ears, but after he'd had his first round of Skunk-Off. He's still banned from the house, but he's beginning to lose some of the "essence of the hunt."
3. There's a dog on point in there -- Alder is not daunted by heavy cover and most of our chances were in stuff like this -- and worse. The birds are where you find them, and it seems like during our recent hunts they were in the wooliest cover.
4. Who says Montana is the only big sky country? We live in what most would call one of the drive-through or fly-over states. It suit us just fine.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg IMG_4265.jpeg (333.6 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4261.jpg (512.0 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4281.jpg (523.8 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4240 2.jpg (511.1 KB, 4 views)
Garry L Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-30-2020, 11:02 PM   #2
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,039 Times in 12,321 Posts

That’s a picture of Aspen that oughtta be framesd.

George King, "That's Ruff", 2010 - a timeless classic.
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Dean Romig For Your Post:
Unread 12-01-2020, 11:20 AM   #3
Brett Hoop
PGCA Member

Member Info

Getting skunked can sure stretch out into many days. Several years back on an after a Christmas hunt Finn took a direct hit. There was about 5”-6” of snow and he was quartering just ahead he had hit 2nd gear and was steps into 3rd so I knew he was on something, but this time it wasn’t the pheasants we were seeking. I am sure the skunks aim was true and Finn took it in the mouth and the eyes. I had him hupped and on him in seconds. My first reaction was to pick up handfuls of snow and try and get whatever I could off him. I don’t know if that helped any or not. I do know it made him sick and he hacked up several times and had bowel movements within minutes. The hour ride home with the windows down wasn’t fun either, but gave time for me to phone my wife and send her out for supplies before we got back. We tried all we knew Dawn, hydrogen peroxide, tomato juice multiple applications. He still stunk a week later.
Brett Hoop is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Brett Hoop For Your Post:
Unread 12-01-2020, 09:04 PM   #4
mobirdhunter
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brett Hoop View Post
Getting skunked can sure stretch out into many days. Several years back on an after a Christmas hunt Finn took a direct hit. There was about 5”-6” of snow and he was quartering just ahead he had hit 2nd gear and was steps into 3rd so I knew he was on something, but this time it wasn’t the pheasants we were seeking. I am sure the skunks aim was true and Finn took it in the mouth and the eyes. I had him hupped and on him in seconds. My first reaction was to pick up handfuls of snow and try and get whatever I could off him. I don’t know if that helped any or not. I do know it made him sick and he hacked up several times and had bowel movements within minutes. The hour ride home with the windows down wasn’t fun either, but gave time for me to phone my wife and send her out for supplies before we got back. We tried all we knew Dawn, hydrogen peroxide, tomato juice multiple applications. He still stunk a week later.
Brett, it sounds like your Finn got a big hit. I've carried Skunk Off in my emergency kit for several years and never used it until this incident. It really seemed to work, although nothing fully gets rid of the smell but time...and as you say, lots of it. Poor Aspen thinks he's been bad because he doesn't get to come in.

My first teaching job was at a small liberal arts college in rural Minnesota, and I ran a trap line before classes. One rainy morning I came to a trap and saw what I thought was a small, very muddy (the soil in the area was a rich, deep, black color) 'coon. I strolled in to finish it off and saw the tail go up a bit too late. He got me on the hand. I had to dash home and try to clean off the smell. I tried everything I had at hand, but nothing seemed to help. I made it to my first class after heavily dousing my hand with aftershave lotion. Needless to say, I did not get good course evaluations for that class. I've been thinking a lot lately about evolution and how skunks came to be. I'm still working on it.
Unread 12-01-2020, 11:23 PM   #5
Brett Hoop
PGCA Member

Member Info

Gary
I am going to find some Skunk Off. Finn has had just that one experience with a skunk thankfully. He has also had a run in with a porcupine in Michigan. We got lucky, fortunately spring loaded pliers that I carry took care of that little mess. So far Finn’s house mate the Setter, Buzzy has only had a penchant for possum. He seems to object to them cleaning up under the quail and chukar pens. I can’t believe he hasn’t got bit. He doesn’t shake them just grabs them by the neck and brings them to me. It took a lot of juice to curb his enthusiasm, and the Boss wasn’t crazy about possums playing dead in the kitchen.
Brett Hoop is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Brett Hoop For Your Post:
Unread 12-02-2020, 08:23 AM   #6
mobirdhunter
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brett Hoop View Post
Gary
I am going to find some Skunk Off. Finn has had just that one experience with a skunk thankfully. He has also had a run in with a porcupine in Michigan. We got lucky, fortunately spring loaded pliers that I carry took care of that little mess. So far Finn’s house mate the Setter, Buzzy has only had a penchant for possum. He seems to object to them cleaning up under the quail and chukar pens. I can’t believe he hasn’t got bit. He doesn’t shake them just grabs them by the neck and brings them to me. It took a lot of juice to curb his enthusiasm, and the Boss wasn’t crazy about possums playing dead in the kitchen.
Try Gun Dog Supply for the Skunk Off. BTW, all of our dogs go for possums, and will retrieve them for some odd reason. (I have a warm spot for possums as they keep tick populations down.) We get turtle retrieves sometimes in hot weather. An old trainer told me that turtles smell similar to birds to a dog. How he knew that, I'll never know. Maybe he learned it on Facebook.

I carry hemostats on a loop around my neck on every hunt. Great for pulling quills or, heaven forbid, closing up wounds to stop bleeding.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Garry L Gordon For Your Post:
Unread 12-03-2020, 10:05 PM   #7
Ed Norman
Forum Associate

Member Info

My buddy Fred with 2 brittanies and I took our 3 dogs to a large farm and planted some chukars. That was early afternoon, and some guys had been there that morning. Each dog took their turn, I had cash go last, we made a big circle down towards a swampy area. Fred thought the morning chukar might be along that edge in thick cover. Cash went on point at the base of a 20' pine tree. He wouldn't move, I had Fred on one side of the pine tree, and I tried to walk in on the other side. I jumped on the ground, made some noise, just as I was touching cash on his head, I saw something move under a low hanging branch, cash was on the skunk in an instant. I grabbed him and doused his one eye with water, and the front of his chest as best I could. I was already thinking of how I am going to get him home, luckily I had 2 big towels in the car. As I was picking up my shotgun, Fred said well would ya look at that, I turned and cash was on point about 20 yards away his eye was bloodshot pretty badly. Fred shot the chukar, I layed those 2 big towels on the seat and back of seat to help keep the smell off the seat. I called my wife, she gave him a bath, we ordered "de skunk" that afternoon. I keep it in my car now wherever I go.
Ed Norman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ed Norman For Your Post:
Unread 12-04-2020, 08:28 AM   #8
mobirdhunter
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Norman View Post
My buddy Fred with 2 brittanies and I took our 3 dogs to a large farm and planted some chukars. That was early afternoon, and some guys had been there that morning. Each dog took their turn, I had cash go last, we made a big circle down towards a swampy area. Fred thought the morning chukar might be along that edge in thick cover. Cash went on point at the base of a 20' pine tree. He wouldn't move, I had Fred on one side of the pine tree, and I tried to walk in on the other side. I jumped on the ground, made some noise, just as I was touching cash on his head, I saw something move under a low hanging branch, cash was on the skunk in an instant. I grabbed him and doused his one eye with water, and the front of his chest as best I could. I was already thinking of how I am going to get him home, luckily I had 2 big towels in the car. As I was picking up my shotgun, Fred said well would ya look at that, I turned and cash was on point about 20 yards away his eye was bloodshot pretty badly. Fred shot the chukar, I layed those 2 big towels on the seat and back of seat to help keep the smell off the seat. I called my wife, she gave him a bath, we ordered "de skunk" that afternoon. I keep it in my car now wherever I go.
It's clear that after the initial sting of the spray has passed, our dogs are ready for business as normal. As for us, well, I'm still cringing at the smell when I open the back of the truck to put the dogs in.

Hey, Ed, nice to have a pal (a.k.a. wife) help when the dogs get into trouble, eh?
Unread 12-04-2020, 09:47 PM   #9
Ed Norman
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garry L Gordon View Post
It's clear that after the initial sting of the spray has passed, our dogs are ready for business as normal. As for us, well, I'm still cringing at the smell when I open the back of the truck to put the dogs in.

Hey, Ed, nice to have a pal (a.k.a. wife) help when the dogs get into trouble, eh?
My wife's stock just keeps skyrocketing up Dogs are her kids, she never had any kids. When I tell my friends my wife runs our dog almost every morning they just look at me like s-u-r-e she does 5 porcupines and a skunk so far, he almost jumped on a large deer that was bedded down, I don't think he will do that again. I was lucky it happened about 15 yards away. The deer nearly ran over my buddy. I blame a couple of his mishaps on myself, (like the skunk) I read him better now and its easier to keep him out of trouble now. All those porcupines and skunk were the first full year hunting, we both have figured stuff out better, this sure is a wonderful time in our lives with that bird dog.
Ed Norman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ed Norman For Your Post:
Unread 12-18-2020, 05:50 AM   #10
Mike Franzen
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 4,361 Times in 1,310 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garry L Gordon View Post
Hunting wild quail as you find them is an endeavor in many things, none the least of which is luck. You just cannot plan on the birds being there, the dogs handling them well, decent shots presenting themselves, and your shooting skills not deserting you. We took some birds, but had slim chances, and I missed shots I normally would make, or at least that's how I remembered it.
Amen Brother!
Mike Franzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Visit Mike Franzen's homepage!