Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

POI adjustment
Unread 07-21-2014, 07:44 AM   #1
jsd245
Forum Associate

Member Info

Default POI adjustment

Is it possible to change POI by changing stock dimensions? I have a LC smith that I just got back from a total restoration and patterned it. At 30 yards it is shooting high, 90 % of the pattern is above center. Even worse it is about 6" left of center. This is both barrels several patterning shots. I compare this to my 16ga parker which patterns beautifully , centered, 50/50 distribution above/ below. The guns have similar stock dimensions, though I'm not really sure how to measure cast.

I'm not sure if this could have something to do with it, but after shooting the smith I saw that it was off face. I could see daylight between the barrels and breech balls and it was very loose with side to side movement with the forearm removed. Yet it seemed like the right barrel was further away than the left, and in fact I could slip a piece of paper in there with the barrels closed where I could not do that on the left barrel. Two sheets of paper over the pin tightened things up. Both barrels seemed to be tight to the breech. No movement with the forend off.

This is going back to get rejoined, but I'm hoping I can get his gun to pattern better.
Jeff Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-21-2014, 08:42 AM   #2
OH Osthaus
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,157 Times in 3,260 Posts

Changing point of impact is the whole idea of proper stock fitting.

I always use the 16 yard method, George Bird Evans explained it in detail in his book The Upland Shooting Life. The method was mentioned in the current issue of Shooting Sportman

I can post the details tonight when I can get the book out
Unread 07-21-2014, 09:43 AM   #3
Kensal Rise
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,577 Times in 926 Posts

The first thing to do is to make your gun's "total restoration" truly total. With a competent re-joint. Then test the gun.

Just because a Parker shoots where you like it doesn't mean a Smith will do the same with identical stock dimensions. This is why good English guns cost more. They are tuned to the person and load. But all that is academic for now. Your gun must be made right first.

And the resto man you used might not be the one to do it...
John Campbell is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to John Campbell For Your Post:
Unread 07-21-2014, 10:45 AM   #4
jsd245
Forum Associate

Member Info

Yes - its on his way back to him. Won't use any names here, I can tell you he isn't one of the gunsmiths regularly named on these forums (since this isn't a LC forum I guess that makes sense) but he is supposedly one of the best there is when it come to LC Smith's. I'm a bit perplexed that he didn't identify this issue and resolve, yet I didn't identify it as something I wanted fixed specifically when I sent the gun to him. Which is probably my fault. I will tell you he did a fine job on the metal and stock work. The gun really literally looks brand new.

A little disappointed here. I should have patterned this gun before sending it out. This was to be my upland gun this season as its is very light for a 12, (only 6# 7 oz) yet now- I may not be able to shoot it (and actually hit anything)

I've read about stockfitting and stockfitters with try guns who will give you stock dimensions- is there anyone in New England who can do it well?
Unread 07-21-2014, 10:53 AM   #5
Bindlestiff
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 2,924 Times in 869 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Davis View Post
I've read about stockfitting and stockfitters with try guns who will give you stock dimensions- is there anyone in New England who can do it well?
Give Orvis in Manchester Vermont a call and talk to them. I think they do it but I don't know their schedule or costs. I never used them but a hunting buddy did many years ago. I assume you need an appointment?
Robin Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-21-2014, 12:01 PM   #6
Kensal Rise
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,577 Times in 926 Posts

Stock fitting is one thing. Making your stock fit the needed dimensions is another. Some will want to bend yours to fit if necessary. If the bending involves more than half an inch, it's a crapshoot. If you need more radical alterations, you might need a restock. That isn't cheap.

If I were you, I'd contact Dave Trevallion, Abe Chaber or talk to Guy Bignell at G&H for a fit or alters. That is if they even want to tackle it...
John Campbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-21-2014, 01:42 PM   #7
Parker Bachelder (Brad's Profile)
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,925 Times in 202 Posts

Jeff

If your Smith is original dimensioned, it most likely has 3-31/2 " drop at heel with zero cast. The pitch is what is affecting the elevation of your pattern. Smiths are pitched out causing you to shoot high, a simple fix. The windage issue is caused by length of pull or cast. LOP is also a quick fix. Cast off, assuming you are a right handed shooter, can be tricky with sidelocks. We bend a lot of stocks, but we stay away from most sidelocks.
The offace is a greater concern especially if the gun was Recased.

Brad
Brad Bachelder is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Brad Bachelder For Your Post:
Visit Brad Bachelder's homepage!
Unread 07-21-2014, 05:51 PM   #8
jsd245
Forum Associate

Member Info

Yes - gun was recased, I honestly cannot tell you if this was an issue before I sent it off. But what I can tell you, is that when I got is back, I inspected it pretty closely and did not see any issues. As soon as I shot it - probably 4 times, I noticed an obvious gap between the breech and the barrel. I'm not sure I would have missed it before that.

So Brad, seems like bending is questionable, yet if I increase my LOP, in effect I move my cheek back, which will have the effect of both lowering the pattern and shifting it right because more of my cheek is above the stock?

Unfortunately the LOP is right where I need it. Longer is uncomfortable for me.
Unread 07-21-2014, 06:14 PM   #9
10 bore
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,455 Times in 804 Posts

if I increase my LOP, in effect I move my cheek back, which will have the effect of both lowering the pattern and shifting it right because more of my cheek is above the stock?

Unfortunately the LOP is right where I need it. Longer is uncomfortable for me.[/QUOTE]

I always thought a long than needed LOP would make you shoot higher?? I know I shoot a lot better with a little shorter LOP than a longer one. I found this out when I had Ed M. CHE with a LOP at 13 5/8ths inches. I shot this gun the best and from than on I look for 13 5/8ths in my duck guns to 13 7/8th LOP in my clays guns , scott
Unread 07-21-2014, 09:44 PM   #10
Tom
Forum Associate

Member Info

JSD
You say you probably wouldn't have missed it I'm thinking your probably right it's hard to miss a loose off face gun.
Just a thought, I'll bet someone at sometime fixed that gun slipshod like gluing a shim in place or maybe even soft solder. I'm thinking whatever process the restorer used melted out that fix or evaporated it, and he probably never knew it was there.
Just a though it could explain how it ended this way.
One way or another I would fix that before I worried about where it shoots.
Tom
Virginia Hessler is offline   Reply With Quote