Notices

Scout Shooting
Unread 07-04-2014, 07:29 PM   #1
Bruce Day
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 15,611 Times in 2,667 Posts

Default Scout Shooting

Some of us believe in supporting the Boy Scouts and assisting in the shooting program. For the last 22 days I have been helping out at our local camp with cowboy action revolver shooting and rifle shooting. We run about 60 boys through each day and assist in target rifle shooting.

well I got my attention diverted and never finished.

I wore western clothes and strapped a 1904 Colt on my hip and played marshal and deputized the boys to drive outlaws. out of the trading post. Great fun for them and we put through a lot of adults too. Many had never shot a revolver or even a pistol before and we taught all that including gun safety. Some of the moms had never shot any kind of gun before and we ham it up and they walk away with big grins. Hundreds of kids and leaders.

So I am involved in this but there are probably opportunities for many to get involved in your communities.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg range1.JPG (126.2 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg range2.JPG (102.0 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg range3.JPG (98.7 KB, 1 views)
Bruce Day is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Bruce Day For Your Post:
Unread 07-04-2014, 09:34 PM   #2
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,787 Times in 3,967 Posts

them boys are out future and thanks to fellas like bruce they will be prepared..it takes a lot ofa fellas time to look after these youths my hats off to bruce and others who volunteer so much of their time training these boys....charlie
charlie cleveland is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-06-2014, 09:30 AM   #3
Gary Laudermilch
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,101 Times in 674 Posts

Boy that sounds like a fun time for all!

I coach a Scholastic Clay Target Progam team from our local club. We just completed the state championship sporting clays shoot with 207 kids shootiing. It is an absolute pleasure seeing this many kids enjoying the shotgun shooting sports.

Every other year the NRA National Youth Hunter Education Challenge (YHEC) Championship comes to Mansfield, PA. They will be here again this year, starting July 19. Our small club hosts these kids for practice over the weekend prior to the competition. We'll have between 200-300 kids at our club at any one time shooting 22's, muzzleloaders, archery, and sporting clays for two days. We typically throw 9000 plus clays during this weekend so it is quite busy. We will see kids and parents from all over the country and I absolutly guarantee they are the nicest people you will ever meet. Although it is a great deal of work for us, after it is over all involved comment on the tremendous satisfaction this endeavor provides those that work the event.

No, I have never seen any kid shooting a Parker but some day, if they stay involved with the sport, their interest may turn to shooting old guns. We have to make the investment now to reap rewards later. If you ever have the opportunity to help out at an activity such as these make sure you do. You will be richly rewarded.
Gary Laudermilch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Gary Laudermilch For Your Post:
Unread 07-22-2014, 11:06 AM   #4
Gary Laudermilch
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,101 Times in 674 Posts

This is a follow-up to a previous post where I commented on YHEC.

Well, this past weekend we hosted the kids coming to the National Championship for practice prior to the main event this week. This effort is a bunch of work for our small club but very much worth it in the end. We had about 200 kids at the club at any one time. They kept coming and going all day for 2 days. We started shooting sporting clays at 8:00 am each day and finished about 6:00 pm. At the end of 2 days we presented about 8800 targets to kids of all ages and capabilities. These kids were from all over the country and the nicest people you would want to meet. I'm pooped but this year was another wonderful time. A few photos of the activities:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF1735.jpg (350.8 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF1742.JPG (314.6 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF1745.JPG (310.4 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF1747.JPG (322.2 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF1752.JPG (319.1 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF1760.JPG (318.4 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF1766.JPG (314.6 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF1776.JPG (333.8 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF1782.JPG (323.9 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF1787.JPG (330.1 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF1771.JPG (320.2 KB, 0 views)
Gary Laudermilch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Gary Laudermilch For Your Post:
Unread 07-23-2014, 01:16 PM   #5
Ed Blake
PGCA Member

Member Info

Good work Bruce. Your shooting club has beautiful grounds. I'm an ASM with Troop 400 here in Richmond. (We just celebrated our 100th anniversary.) Twice during the Scout year I bring my Atlas trap on hikes and the troop fronts all ammo and clays. I will bring a few Parkers and some black powder loads and lite smokeless handloads so the boys can shoot my hammerguns. Pardon the pun, but they have a blast.
Ed Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-25-2014, 05:46 PM   #6
MarketHunter
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 4,027 Times in 1,163 Posts

Just bought a big batch of .22 ammo plus BB's and pellets on the cheap at an estate sale this morning. A buddy of mine runs our local shooting sports Varsity Team, essentially what was Explorers when I was a kid. With ammo prices these days they have a real challenge keeping enough shells for the boys (and girls) to use. I'm always on the scout (literally) for anything they've got a gun for, he's excited to get the .22 stuff as they've got a big event coming up. Found them two muzzle loaders for cheap last year, and a couple nice modern .22 rifles as well. Off next month for the big 60th Anniversary Reunion at my old home Scout Camp on Little Grassy Lake.

DLH
I was as virtuously given as a gentleman need to be; virtuous enough; swore little; diced not above seven times a week; went to a bawdy-house once in a quarter--of an hour; paid money that I borrowed, three of four times; lived well and in good compass: and now I live out of all order, out of all compass. Falstaff - Henry IV
Destry L. Hoffard is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Destry L. Hoffard For Your Post: