Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

Unread 01-10-2024, 03:10 PM   #21
Andy
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,469 Times in 971 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryl Corona View Post
I've said this before and I'll say it again Andy...Just shoot the damn thing and forget about the chokes. Looks like you're doing that with that 16/ O frame
Daryl I think you're sorely mistaken. It has nothing to do with shooting it, I just want to have an inventory of my stuff and make better buying decisions. I don't pay much attention to chokes. I have ordered a Perazzi and I'm considered a heretic because I did NOT get screw in chokes. I hate choke tubes and shoot what I got. The only thing I don't like is very open chokes all the time. Not enough dust is created that way.
Unread 01-10-2024, 03:36 PM   #22
Pay Dirt
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,348 Times in 303 Posts

Like the bank robber said to Dirty Harry while Harry was standing over him
pondering whether he had fired six shots or only five,

"I gots to know...".
Bobby Cash is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bobby Cash For Your Post:
Unread 01-10-2024, 04:08 PM   #23
Andy
PGCA Member

Member Info

Good one Bobby! : )
Unread 01-11-2024, 12:53 PM   #24
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,235 Times in 12,376 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Srebro View Post
Dean, I don't know if the swell was done from the breech or muzzle ends but it's long been described as a way to "normalize" the bare shot charge before starting into the choke. It's not as pronounced as jug choking. The earliest references to the swell I've seen were by Askins and Sweeley in the early 1920's as they experimented with borings and chokes for max long range pattern efficiencies, that was prior to the advent of the Super-Fox which was largely based on their work. What I wonder about now is what effect, if any, the swell has on performance with plastic shotcups. One of these days I'll do some comparative long range patterning with bare shot and shotcups to check for myself. Actually I had planned to do that in part for a DGJ article and that's why it slipped to the back burner when the editors pulled the plug. I've seen these swells on a few Foxes, Parkers, Winchester M12's, M21's and 101's.
Frank - AH Fox No. 31088 chamber, bore, and choke measurements from Austin's files.

Presuming most folks still reading this thread know 31088 Super Fox was Buckingham's "Bo-Whoop".

https://parkerguns.org/forums/showthread.php?t=32142

George King, "That's Ruff", 2010 - a timeless classic.
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-11-2024, 04:04 PM   #25
Double Lab
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 6,277 Times in 2,428 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Sacco View Post
Daryl I think you're sorely mistaken. It has nothing to do with shooting it, I just want to have an inventory of my stuff and make better buying decisions. I don't pay much attention to chokes. I have ordered a Perazzi and I'm considered a heretic because I did NOT get screw in chokes. I hate choke tubes and shoot what I got. The only thing I don't like is very open chokes all the time. Not enough dust is created that way.
Didn't mean it that way Andy. Just saying that you do so well with your tightly choked 16 and yes, for reference purposes and for better buying conditions you are on the right track.

In the last year I have acquired 3 Perazzis, a 12, 20 and 28. Only the 12 has screw ins and they came with the gun. They are Teague and they are wonderful. Written in bold letters inside the tube case is "do not underchoke". I leave the M and IM in full time. The MX28 has fixed M/IM and the MX20 has M/M. Yea, I like em tight.
Unread 01-12-2024, 09:49 AM   #26
Andy
PGCA Member

Member Info

Quote:
Didn't mean it that way Andy. Just saying that you do so well with your tightly choked 16 and yes, for reference purposes and for better buying conditions you are on the right track.

In the last year I have acquired 3 Perazzis, a 12, 20 and 28. Only the 12 has screw ins and they came with the gun. They are Teague and they are wonderful. Written in bold letters inside the tube case is "do not underchoke". I leave the M and IM in full time. The MX28 has fixed M/IM and the MX20 has M/M. Yea, I like em tight.
I love Perazzi's : ) I'm waiting on my only one (should say FIRST one) to be delivered.
Unread 01-12-2024, 10:09 AM   #27
Mike of the Mountain
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,906 Times in 2,688 Posts

Quote:
I've said this before and I'll say it again Andy...Just shoot the damn thing and forget about the chokes. Looks like you're doing that with that 16/ O frame
BINGO!! If you put the muzzles at the right place you’ll hit what you’re shooting at no matter what the choke is.
Mike Koneski is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mike Koneski For Your Post:
Visit Mike Koneski's homepage!
Unread 01-12-2024, 10:15 AM   #28
Mike of the Mountain
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,906 Times in 2,688 Posts

Andy, good all around chokes would be on both sides of Mod. LM, M and IM. The IM is close enough to F for those that like “diesel smoke” while LM is tight enough to reach out and break a longer clay. I had full length sub-gauge tubes made that stay in each barrel set. They were made to fit those specific barrels. They are all fixed chokes. I did LM/IM in each. Fun to shoot. Crush targets when I do my part.
Mike Koneski is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mike Koneski For Your Post:
Visit Mike Koneski's homepage!
Unread 01-12-2024, 10:38 AM   #29
Andy
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanks Mike. The only gun I really struggle with is my go to grouse gun choked C/IC if I'm shooting clays. All my Parkers are German choked...Gutten-tight

The Perazzi will be LM/IM and I can shoot spreaders if I feel the need to. I think my choke tubes in my Beretta 694 have been in there for three years, I should see if they are welded in : ) I'd rather floss my teeth than clean choke tubes.
Unread 01-12-2024, 11:05 AM   #30
Double Lab
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 6,277 Times in 2,428 Posts

Andy, trust me when I tell you the Perazzi will blow you away if you are serious about breaking targets. What model did you order?