Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Hunting with Parkers

Notices

Unread 04-18-2020, 10:10 PM   #31
J. A. EARLY
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,693 Times in 871 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garry L Gordon View Post
He said that turkey hens will not revisit their nest if pushed off it. The PLS and I were skeptical, so, after waiting the appropriate time (and getting the OK from the turkey biologist), I went back to check the nest. The eggs -- the same number we found upon flushing the hen -- had obviously been predated by something -- probably a coon or 'possum. Another time Elaine and I flushed a hen from a nest while surveying our access trails. We noted the number of eggs and went back much later to check. Eggs were there (same number), but no sign of the turkey. Our last check of the nest indicated that the nest had been abandoned. That's a tiny sample size, I know, but based on those experiences and what the turkey biologist said, I'm inclined to believe that scaring a hen from her nest is the end of that nest.
:
Gary,

Last year I let my clover and grass field grow until the end of June. I was sure all birds had hatched. As I made the last round with the bush hog a hen that I had observed the whole spring flew and I stopped the tractor. I left the tall hay intact. Checking often the next week, she never came back. I felt so bad that I had caused six or more birds to not hatch and she was so close. It is the second week of July usually for us in your old home state. I won't do that again.
Jerry Harlow is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jerry Harlow For Your Post:
Unread 04-19-2020, 07:16 AM   #32
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,235 Times in 12,376 Posts

Jerry, that was probably a late or second nesting because the first nesting had failed. It’s unfortunate but a fact of life.

We have a swan on the Shawsheen flats here that due to very high water, has had to make a new nest and lay more eggs a few times in the last several years.

George King, "That's Ruff", 2010 - a timeless classic.
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-19-2020, 09:34 AM   #33
Big D
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 3,615 Times in 1,557 Posts

Mich season opened yesterday. First time I've hunted turkey at 32 degrees. Grouse drumming, geese honking, cranes cackling, and pileated woodpeckers pecking. The spring woods are much more interesting than during deer season. Oh, BTW no turkeys heard
Unread 04-19-2020, 12:30 PM   #34
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,794 Times in 3,967 Posts

but aint it nice just to be out and alive......charlie

charlie cleveland is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to charlie cleveland For Your Post:
Unread 04-19-2020, 12:41 PM   #35
mobirdhunter
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 9,596 Times in 3,087 Posts

I went scouting this morning on a farm about an hour SW of us. The road to our Tree Farm is not passable, so I'll save it for the second week. I heard 2 or 3 gobblers this morning, all just on the edge of the property. I'll be ensconced in the brush overlooking a couple of decoys tomorrow morning. I just hope I get to "see a show" as Pop used to call a Tom's strutting. Elaine got me a Garmin watch to go with our dog tracking collars. It also gives me my heart rate. I can't wait to see just how high it goes if a big one strolls in to my calls.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg IMG_6839.jpeg (173.5 KB, 2 views)
Garry L Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Garry L Gordon For Your Post:
Unread 04-19-2020, 12:51 PM   #36
Big D
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 3,615 Times in 1,557 Posts

A body of mine shot one this AM with a 36" 10 gauge H&R 10 gauge. Charlie, you should have been there
Unread 04-19-2020, 08:01 PM   #37
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,794 Times in 3,967 Posts

yes i should have been there maybe next time...them 36 inch barrel 10 ga s will reach out and touch them for sure....charlie
charlie cleveland is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-19-2020, 08:19 PM   #38
John J Sundelin
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Harlow View Post
Gary,

Last year I let my clover and grass field grow until the end of June. I was sure all birds had hatched. As I made the last round with the bush hog a hen that I had observed the whole spring flew and I stopped the tractor. I left the tall hay intact. Checking often the next week, she never came back. I felt so bad that I had caused six or more birds to not hatch and she was so close. It is the second week of July usually for us in your old home state. I won't do that again.
We have kicked many turkeys and even ducks off their nests while cutting hay. A couple hens went through the mower conditioner, that was messy. I was raising poultry at the time and have several large incubators so I would grab the eggs and put them in the incubator. Most usually hatched so I would raise them for a few months having minimal contact with them and feeding non medicated feed. They always managed to get out and join their family flock of 40-60 birds that lives around here. They roost across the road in the pines then feed through the cow pasture in the mornings and afternoons.
John J Sundelin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to John J Sundelin For Your Post:
Turkey Scouting
Unread 04-23-2020, 07:53 AM   #39
Kent Nickerson
Forum Associate

Member Info

Default Turkey Scouting

Have filled my tags for the year, but it's fun to look around and see what's going on out there. Scouting FPV from the drone I found this fellow still out and about two days ago. (small dot in strip at left). Happy hunting, ya'll.
Kent Nickerson is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Kent Nickerson For Your Post:
Unread 04-23-2020, 04:51 PM   #40
Harold Pickens
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,829 Times in 2,017 Posts

Don't know whether I'm good or just lucky . Probably just lucky! Set up Mon. morning, birds gobbled down below me, made 1 series of yelps, and laid the box call down. 6:40 and done for the day, birds were still carrying on, so took the gobbler back to the truck and exchanged gun for thermos of coffee and some oatmeal raisin cookies. Sat there in the sunshine listening to them carry on, no doubt I could have called in another , but only 1/day. Then caught a stringer of bluegills and crappies--my version of a Blast and Cast! Been back in the area for the next 3 days lugging around the Beast--a grade 2 12ga hammer gun with 30" F/F chokes--damn, I need a sling on that thing. Not the gun I want when I have to run and gun the logging roads, but really want to shoot a turkey with it. Maybe tomorrow.