Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

Unread 09-28-2012, 09:53 PM   #11
edgarspencer
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 11,523 Times in 3,100 Posts

For obvious reason, this thread reminds me of the old saying "To Soon Old, Too Late Smart" I suspect there are more of us who choose not to bring up their decisions that leave regrets, but I'm not one of them. This has been a life-long hobby, and each of the former guns I was lucky to care for, and subsequently passed on has left me with both fond memories, and some regrets. I guess it's likely I've learned some lessons from those 'transactions' but mainly to buy what I can afford, and only when it's one I truly want, and not be fooled into thinking I want it because it makes others go Ooo and Ahh. Almost without exception, the ones I've parted with were because there was a greater need (like college tuitions) or something that really was better, and not just different. I'm sure it isn't just a coincidence that the ones I still have, have many associated good memories, such as the dogs and friends I have hunted with.
edgarspencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-29-2012, 08:25 PM   #12
C.O.B.
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanked 6,320 Times in 2,082 Posts

Edga I have some pain and regret over a certain 16ga 0 frame hammergun. Perhaps I was a bit hasty
Rich Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-29-2012, 08:35 PM   #13
edgarspencer
PGCA Member

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Anderson View Post
Edga I have some pain and regret over a certain 16ga 0 frame hammergun. Perhaps I was a bit hasty
For the regret, may I suggest a gill of whisky. For the pain, take 2 Tylenol and call me in the morning if you're still feeling poorly.
The Following User Says Thank You to edgarspencer For Your Post:
Unread 09-29-2012, 08:41 PM   #14
C.O.B.
Forum Associate

Member Info

I have had the wisky to ease the aches and pains of a day spent in pursuit of feathered game and to fortify the joins and vertebrae for a repeat performance tomorrow.

What was that phone number again Edgar???
Unread 09-30-2012, 06:49 AM   #15
edgarspencer
PGCA Member

Member Info

Rich, I'm having the locks reworked at the moment, so let me get it back and shoot a few birds. Then we'll talk.
Unread 09-30-2012, 08:06 AM   #16
Hammer Gun
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 7,680 Times in 1,644 Posts

They ain't nothing like home remedies to cure what ails you!
Gary Carmichael Sr is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gary Carmichael Sr For Your Post:
Unread 10-01-2012, 01:27 AM   #17
David Noble
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,090 Times in 386 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by edgarspencer View Post
For obvious reason, this thread reminds me of the old saying "To Soon Old, Too Late Smart" I suspect there are more of us who choose not to bring up their decisions that leave regrets, but I'm not one of them. This has been a life-long hobby, and each of the former guns I was lucky to care for, and subsequently passed on has left me with both fond memories, and some regrets. I guess it's likely I've learned some lessons from those 'transactions' but mainly to buy what I can afford, and only when it's one I truly want, and not be fooled into thinking I want it because it makes others go Ooo and Ahh. Almost without exception, the ones I've parted with were because there was a greater need (like college tuitions) or something that really was better, and not just different. I'm sure it isn't just a coincidence that the ones I still have, have many associated good memories, such as the dogs and friends I have hunted with.
Edgar, truly the words of an experienced and wise man. Your post made me feel almost foolish for talking about having to sell my guns to meet other needs. Of course I always put my family first and never hesitated to pass a cherished gun along when there was a greater need. The T latch and the Try Gun were just "Ooo and Ahh" guns that made for great show and were by far the most rare items in my collection but were of no use to me otherwise.
The B and C grades were important to me because they were the highest graded guns in my collection, but I am so thankful that they were there to help my family through a tough time.
It was truly a pleasure to sell my GHE 16 back to the man I bought it from. He was twenty years my senior and my personal Parker mentor. We hunted together and traded guns on many occaisions. Some here may have known him as he was a life long Parker collector. He was also a not so famous author of some very famous country western songs. His name was Lawton Williams, and he was the kind of friend that cannot be easily replaced.
Lawton let me trade him out of that GHE because he liked me and it was the highest graded gun that he had that he knew I could afford at the time. I saw the proud look of a father in his eyes when he passed that gun into my hands. I can only hope that he knew how proud and honored I was to pass it back to him years later. This hobby truly is about the people you meet and times you get to share while hunting, shooing or trading with them.
I, like you, have held on to the guns that I use and though they are not necessarily all graded or high condition guns, they are priceless to me because of the fond memories of times spent hunting and shooting with my boys and friends. I would not be embarrased to display the least of my guns next to anyones A-1 or AA.
Edgar, thanks for reminding us why we collect.
David Noble is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to David Noble For Your Post:
Unread 10-01-2012, 08:12 AM   #18
C.O.B.
Forum Associate

Member Info

I think we have all sold a gun or two to finance a car, help "the kids", make a house payment as for the most part they are a source of ready cash. I have always maintained the idea that my guns are a tax free part of my retirement I just hope I have the courage to sell them when the time comes.

On the other end of the spectrum there are guns that I would never sell for any reason. These include a Ruger MK1 22 pistol and a Browning (Belgium) 9mm Hi Power that for some reason my dad has. Then there is another Ruger MK1 .22 target pistol I bought to give to my brother and his Remington 1100 20ga and a Ruger M77 in .270. Joe had to leave us very early and while I have never shot the 1100 in over 30 years it isn't going anywhere. I used his 270 a couple of years ago in Wyoming and plink around some with the 22.
Unread 10-01-2012, 08:29 AM   #19
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,854 Times in 4,747 Posts

Sell a gun to finance a car?? Is that why I'm still driving my '74 Ford? I like my guns much better than any new car. Well, maybe a nice little AC would turn my head.
Bill Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bill Murphy For Your Post:
Unread 01-09-2022, 09:41 AM   #20
Jim Thynne
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

I looked for years for a A1 Special that I could afford. I finally bought a reasonably priced one at a small auction House in Los Angeles. It was a time when the money was a greater need than the Parker. I have regretted that sale to this day
Jim Thynne is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jim Thynne For Your Post: