Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

Unread 01-07-2022, 02:35 PM   #41
Kevin McCormack
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 3,599 Times in 1,016 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Koneski View Post
Kevin, I am impressed that you know FZs work!!
Yes Mike; I am enamoured of many of his compositions; some of my favorites are "Toads of the Short Forest", "Eric Dolphy Memorial Barbecue", and "America Drinks and goes Home." Each somehow remain relevant in small and personal ways to our various shooting events over the year. Can't wait for our 2022 outings!
Kevin McCormack is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kevin McCormack For Your Post:
Unread 01-07-2022, 03:00 PM   #42
6pt-Sika
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 7,458 Times in 3,383 Posts

Some of my uh friends were complaining about ammo availabilty then the cost . They're telling me this as I am methodically loading shells right in front of them . And I see the dim wat light bulb go on over their little heads . Then their brilliant idea comes bubbling out .

Usually went something like this ,

You've got plenty components , how about letting me buy enough at your cost to load me a flat of shells and I just pay your cost .

Usual reply on my nice days were , you don't wanna pay me what I charge to load for others . FWIW I don't load for others on a payment basis , if I load for someone it's done more as a gift and then very very rarely .

On not happy days it was more to the effect of "Get the hell out of my sight" .
Unread 01-07-2022, 03:01 PM   #43
Milton C Starr
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanked 1,000 Times in 462 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Gietler View Post
How much is the shipping and tax and handling charges on Top of the $150?
Remember, you have to add that to the Cost of the shells.

Harry
Lowest today is the 1oz Federals, free shipping for members or $20 for non members.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20220107-140141_Chrome.jpg (140.1 KB, 5 views)
Milton C Starr is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Milton C Starr For Your Post:
Unread 01-07-2022, 03:32 PM   #44
John Allen
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 1,598 Times in 341 Posts

They were probably quoting you their actual cost. Ammo cost a lot because of the weight and special handling. I shipped a flat of 20 gauge shells from Tennessee to Texas and the cost was $39. $395 for 12 flats is high,but probably what they had to pay.
John Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-07-2022, 03:36 PM   #45
ArtS
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,009 Times in 394 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Day View Post
Parker appropriate 16 ga shells are made by Federal, Winchester , Remington , Fiocci , Herters and RST. I just bought two cases of recently made Winchester 1 oz loads.

On another note , I just ordered and received a case of Remington STS 12 ga and a case of Federal 12ga paper hull loads.
This thread has really wandered around and at one point got off into the never ending recoil argument. However, everyone is entitled to their own opinion and decision, but I personally don't believe that most of the loads listed above are "Parker appropriate" (or LC Smith or Older Ithaca or Lefever or whatever).

Number 1, I agree that high recoil should be avoided due to fragile wood. However, a broken stock won't kill me. A blown up barrel may, or someone near me.

I own a bunch of shotguns old and new and have been intensely following the low pressure quest for 15 years or more. I have seen too many actual pressure tests of Lite style shells to believe that most of them are what I want to shoot. The problem is that while they strive for low recoil, they also make good and sure no one is going to complain about an autoloader, which makes up a huge part of their market, is going to malfunction. Most tests of Lite loads I have ever seen tend to be in the 9000 to 10000 range. I for one don't consider that at all appropiate for a 120 year old shotgun. The ultimate goal I have always seen has been to duplicate black powder loading. That number from a working standpoint is in the 6000 to 6500 range. A lot of people seem to use a rule of staying below 8500 or so but that causes me personal concern. I shoot RST's but feel they are the max I want. From my standpoint, 6000 is my number and all the loads I make have been tested to be in the 5000 to 6500 range. There are a lot of them published if you look.
I also shoot only an appropriate length shell for the gun. Data shows there is not a huge increase by shooting long shells in short chambers. However, it varies and there is no way to know for sure. Just last week I saw a test report of this and in a 5 shot string the increase measured between 300 and 1200 psi increase. If you decide to shoot a "Lite" load and it happens to be 9500 psi and the long shell happens to boost that particular round by 1200 then you are in the full SAMMI max range and totally ignoring the entire concept.

Some people argue that there is a difference between black powder and new loads because of burning rate, but Sherman Bell's seminal article on the subject I think pretty much put that to rest. He tested low pressure loads using fast burning powder vs black powder with the same peak pressure readings and measured at many points down the barrel. The pressure profile all along the barrel was essentially duplicated.

There was a lengthy thread on the new Remington Vintage shells recently. The asumption seemed to be through the entire thread that these would be a new answer to low pressure ammo supply, but they were expensive and couldn't be found. They actually stocked quite a few of these at a local large gun store, but shot selection of what they had was useless. I did research the shells, however, and found not one mention anywhere in the data that they were a bit lower than normal pressure. They seemed to be marketed for the pure nostalgia of the thing.

My solution is to load either 2" or 2-1/2" shells with square loads or better of shot and shoot for a load that has been tested at 5500 to 6500 psi. They will then interchange in all my old guns with no worry. With the new guns, I generally stick to factory rounds as a source of empties.
Arthur Shaffer is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Arthur Shaffer For Your Post:
Unread 01-22-2022, 10:54 PM   #46
Mike Poindexter
PGCA Member

Member Info

So the burn rate and pressure curve of one specific powder could create a different recoil moment or "feel" than another with the same muzzle velocity at the end of the barrels? I.e. some shells with identical printed charge weights and velocities could feel different when fired.
Mike Poindexter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-23-2022, 08:18 AM   #47
Aaron Beck
PGCA Member

Member Info

Powder companies make marketing claims about felt recoil but that doesnt change the physics. Those peters paper shells have a wad which is supposed to absorb some of the initial acceleration. Some will maintain these claims are true while others probably dont notice.
Aaron Beck is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-23-2022, 02:59 PM   #48
Cold Spring
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 6,235 Times in 1,200 Posts

Just my take on things, but if I had a vintage American double gun (Parker, Fox, Lefever, LC Smith, Ithaca) made after smokeless powders came into common use and felt the need to limit it to < 6500 psi for fear of blowing up a barrel and injuring myself or someone else, I'd toss the barrels into my neighbor's swamp and part out the gun. If the barrels were that weak I wouldn't ever sell the gun intact or have it passed on and set someone else up for a blow up and serious injury or worse. I’m talking here about pressure, not recoil; they’re not directly related and are so often confused and some even use the terms interchangeably. Again this is just what I’d do in that situation.
Frank Srebro is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Frank Srebro For Your Post:
Unread 01-24-2022, 01:04 AM   #49
Mike Poindexter
PGCA Member

Member Info

Just ordered two flats of B&P Comp I Target 12's, 2 3/4" 7/8 oz 7 1/2 at 1160 fps. $199.80 shipped. Two flat limit. AbleAmmo
www.ableammo.com
Mike Poindexter is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mike Poindexter For Your Post:
Unread 01-24-2022, 06:48 AM   #50
William Davis
PGCA Member

Member Info

100 dollars a flat is what one of my favorite Sporting Clays courses charges for B&P Comp One. He only stocks 1 oz no 7/8. Only sells to shooters, walk in don’t shoot won’t sell. He has AA 110 dollars Fiocchi 90. Plenty of shells on hand.

That B&P 7/8 oz was my first choice when stating with SxS guns, it’s a great load. 100 per flat = 10 dollars a box. My reloads that duplicate the B&P with 80 dollar per thousand primers 50 dollars x 25 lbs shot. Wads and powder on hand at pre shortage cost box cost 7.50 . Figure scalper powder prices add another dollar.

Looks like it’s what we need to expect going forward.

William
William Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to William Davis For Your Post: