Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

Unread 03-28-2018, 03:59 PM   #21
John Davis
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 6,313 Times in 1,239 Posts

Page 2 of du Bray's gun list attached.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf du Bray letter 2.pdf (165.2 KB, 162 views)
John Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to John Davis For Your Post:
Unread 03-28-2018, 07:02 PM   #22
John Sexson
Forum Associate

Member Info

I just signed up to be a member, trying to figure out how to post pictures.
John Sexson is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to John Sexson For Your Post:
Unread 03-28-2018, 07:05 PM   #23
Bindlestiff
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 2,924 Times in 869 Posts

Welcome to our Parker family! I look forward to learn about your great-grandfather and your Parker experiences.

Go to www.parkerguns.org and click on the faq link on the left side. At the bottom of the FAQ page are two links that may help with posting pictures.
Robin Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Robin Lewis For Your Post:
Unread 03-28-2018, 07:22 PM   #24
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,228 Times in 12,374 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Sexson View Post
I just signed up to be a member, trying to figure out how to post pictures.

Welcome to the Parker Gun Collectors Association John!

Your joining should prove to be mutually beneficial.

George King, "That's Ruff", 2010 - a timeless classic.
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dean Romig For Your Post:
Unread 03-28-2018, 08:18 PM   #25
C.O.B.
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanked 6,320 Times in 2,082 Posts

The guns of Arthur DuBray would make an interesting article. He led an interesting life from his narrow escape of going with General Custer to being a top salesman for Parker. A friend has a W.C. Scott Premier grade pigeon gun that the rib is inscribed "custom made for Arthur DuBray. It has the finest engraving of any gun I've ever seen.
Unread 03-29-2018, 06:23 AM   #26
John Davis
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 6,313 Times in 1,239 Posts

June 18, 1910, The Sportsmen’s Review, “Capt. Arthur W. DuBray (‘Gaucho.’) Learning that one of our old-time friends and correspondents is going to leave Cincinnati to take up his abode in California, we take this opportunity of presenting this sketch to our readers, who doubtless have read many articles from his pen, signed ‘Gaucho.’
Arthur W. duBray is an Englishman by birth and parentage, a naturalized American citizen and a cosmopolitan. At an early age he went to South America, where he spent several years on the Patagonian frontier in the days of Indian raids, when game was plentiful and when a good sound horse and a couple of powerful, plucky dogs and the best of firearms for companions were about all that constituted his belongings. There he enjoyed fine sport, chasing ostriches and deer, shooting an occasional puma and plenty of feathered game. He speaks both French and Spanish, and at one time when using them almost exclusively was as fluent in them as in his own language.
Upon reaching the United States, Mr. duBray devoted several years to his favorite sport, game shooting, and in Minnesota, when duck, grouse and snipe were plentiful, enjoyed excellent shooting.
In 1875, having met with financial reverses, he joined the army, and in 1876 was stationed at Fort Seward, North Dakota, adjoining the present site of Jamestown. There he had the honor and pleasure of meeting General George A. Custer, and at their meeting the general, himself a thorough sportsman, and knowing of Mr. duBray’s passion for shooting and a wild, roving life, offered to take him on the campaign that ended so disastrously to himself and his famous crack regiment, the flower of the army, the Seventh United States Cavalry. Owing to an unlooked-for delay, occasioned by the general not being in command of the fatal and memorable campaign, orders for Mr. duBray to join it were never issued, as in the meantime the general with the greater part of his valiant command were annihilated.
Upon the return of the remnant of this superb regiment to their winter quarters at Ft. Abraham Lincoln, he received an appointment in the quartermaster’s department at that post, and in the spring of 1877 he went afield with his cherished regiment on the Nez Perces expedition. Here he was fortunate enough to come under the observation of that splendid and most intrepid Indian fighter, Colonel F. W. Benteen, who then commanded a battalion of the Seventh Horse, and after an engagement with the Nez Perces Indians, Colonel Benteen made special mention of Mr. duBray in an order that was read at the head of his battalion. Such an honor emanating from one of the foremost Indian fighters of his time, Mr. duBray regards as the most important event of his life and the climax of his checkered career, and even today, when speaking of his idolized Colonel Fritz, he cannot do so without feelings of the deepest emotion.
In the following year he again took the field with his beloved regiment in the pursuit of fugitive Cheyennes, and saw some hard service in that campaign.
During these two expeditions he had exceptionally fine shooting at antelope, elk, deer and buffalo, and always kept his mess well supplied with game, even when in a hostile Indian country, and as he generally accompanied the foremost scouts he naturally had many lively experiences when away from the command.
In December, 1890, Mr. duBray left the army and accepted the position of traveling salesman with Parker Bros., his fondness for guns and shooting causing him to take this course. During the succeeding years he has traveled in the interest of his company through the South, the entire west coast, Canada and Mexico, and is now going to take up his residence in San Francisco as resident agent there.
As a writer for the leading sportsmen’s journals he has been before the public for nearly thirty years, and has contributed gratuitously many articles on shooting, guns, etc. He is now regarded as the leading exponent and firm believer in small-bore guns for upland shooting, and was the first writer to bring twenty-bores into prominent notice, having learned while shooting with his friends in Texas what these small bores can be made to do.
It is with profound regret that Mr. duBray is leaving his southern field of work, for, as he has said, he only too well knows that nowhere can he find more loyal, sincere and true friends and companions than those he has made among the chivalrous Southern sportsmen, whose memory will always remain as one of the brightest episodes of his life, and to whom it pulls hard to say good-bye, for they entertained him in their homes, divided share and share alike with him afield, and invariably treated him with frankness, kindness and courtesy.”
John Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-29-2018, 07:23 AM   #27
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,228 Times in 12,374 Posts

Great stuff from our most proficient historical archivist.

George King, "That's Ruff", 2010 - a timeless classic.
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dean Romig For Your Post:
Unread 03-29-2018, 04:28 PM   #28
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,862 Times in 4,751 Posts

I expected to see Dr. Truitt's name in the customer column of the second list.
Bill Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-30-2018, 09:32 AM   #29
Mike Franzen
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 4,378 Times in 1,317 Posts

John, do you have an address where DuBray lived in Newport, KY? I live just 30 minutes from there and would like to go see it I could get some pics and post them.
Mike Franzen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mike Franzen For Your Post:
Visit Mike Franzen's homepage!
Unread 03-30-2018, 12:01 PM   #30
John Sexson
Forum Associate

Member Info

Sorry I do not know that address
John Sexson is offline   Reply With Quote