Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

The ones that got away
Unread 09-26-2012, 06:54 PM   #1
David Noble
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,090 Times in 386 Posts

Default The ones that got away

Hello, new nember here. I was just reading in the reproduction forum about a gun that was sold a few years back and how the seller wishes he had it back now.
Ohh do I know that feeling! I've collected doubles for 35 years now and have a few, but times have not always been good so some had to be sacrificed.
The one I regret selling most was a DelGrego restored BHE 12 ga with 32" barrels that was just immaculate. It was an early gun made before Parker had beavertails. This one had a correct beaver tail and the correct beavertail forearm lug on the barrel.
I also had to let go of the only CHE I've ever owned at the same time. It had been recolored with a torch but was still a great gun.
In previous years I had to part with some others that just broke my heart to sell. Among them was a T latch serial number 70 that is known to some on this board. I had acquired it from a Shotgun News ad by one of the (still) prominent classic gun dealers. I traded a Winchester model 42 and some cash for it. That was a really crudely designed gun, but it was an evolutionary step in the right direction for Parker. Then there was an early back action hammer gun with a three digit serial number, 139 I believe. That gun had several stock repairs but they were done well and it was a quite usable gun. I'll list some of the others and what particulars I can remember about them.

DHE 12 ga Trap gun with raised ventilated rib and high comb cheek piece.
VH 12 ga Try Gun with the original tools and measuring pieces in original leather pouch.
VH 12 ga with 32 inch barrels and the blondest original wood I've ever seen on a Parker.
GHE 16 ga that was a dove slaying wonder. When the man that sold it to me saw how good I hit with it he wouldn't leave me alone until I finally sold it back to him a few years later.
DH 12 ga very early damascus that I had sleeved. Wish I had not sleeved it, I know better now. That gun had the most beautiful dogs on it. I couldn't count how many birds flew right over my head while I was sitting and admiring the way the light refracted off the fine shading details in the dogs torsos. (OK, this happens to me with some of my other guns as well, I just can't help it!)
Parker SBT SC 12 ga 32in.
Trojan 12 ga first year production.
Parker Reproduction BHE 20 ga, match to my 12 ga. (should have sold the 12 instead!) I had ordered the full 4 guage set. Never got my 28 or 410.
Parker Reproduction DHE 28 ga 2 bbl set. 26in Q1/Q2, 28in mod/full (fore arms would shoot off in my hand, anyone else have that problem?)

Non Parker but worth mentioning.
LC Smith Specialty grade 20 ga with ejectors and beavertail.
Fox AE 20 ga (that hammered my middle finger everytime I shot it)
Ithaca NID 4e 10 ga magnum. (One of McIntoshes picks for 10 best shotguns)
Ithaca 4E 20 ga A little rough but restorable.
A couple of Darne guns. 12 and 20 ga. (R-11's)
Halifax (Darne type) 16 ga nicely engraved.
DM Lefever 12 ga boxlock (lightly engraved)
J.P. Sauer 28 ga 28", extractors
And numerous spanish, belgium, and german sxs'.

I've never sold a Parker because I wanted to, it was always due to unforseen expenses like wifes and kids and mortgages and such. But at least I still have the memories of those that got away. Bittersweet memories.
David Noble is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-26-2012, 08:06 PM   #2
Parkerman
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Welcome aboard!
Linn Matthews is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-26-2012, 08:29 PM   #3
C.O.B.
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanked 6,320 Times in 2,082 Posts

I would need two more safes IF I had kept the ones that got away. I traded a GHE 20 2bbl set for a GHE 20 skeet gun that I sold to pay some bill

Some of what I wish I had back, the GHE 20's, a DHE 16, GHE 16 skeet. Non Parker a Winchester M42 solid rib skeet and a M12 28ga solid rib skeet, M71 348, M70 358 NIB and a M70 Super Grade 7X57.

Unfortunately you just can't keep all of them
Rich Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-27-2012, 12:57 PM   #4
todd allen
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 3,260 Times in 1,130 Posts

Hard times hit me like the wave in the movie "The Perfect Storm". I sold off a lot of guns, but a couple that really hurt was my 1935 Parker trap gun that was was up-graded to an A-1 Special by Runge/Delgreco, and a sweet little Ithaca NID .410 upgraded and restored by George Flaim (sp) and Doug Turnbull.
The A-1 was bought by a gentleman from the PGCA, who most graciously offered it back to me when it came time to sell it. Unfortunately I could not afford it.
If/when I can ever mount a financial come-back, I would love to track that Parker down again.
BTW the trap gun was a 32" Vent Rib, single trigger, BTFE gun. I shot a few pigeon shoots with, back in the day, with pretty good effect!
todd allen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to todd allen For Your Post:
Unread 09-27-2012, 02:24 PM   #5
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,854 Times in 4,747 Posts

I can't afford to buy any of them back, but I would buy any I have sold if I had the cash. The ones that bother me the most are the ones I could have afforded but didn't take advantage of. I won't try to list them here. You'll have to wait for the book.
Bill Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Bill Murphy For Your Post:
Unread 09-28-2012, 11:43 AM   #6
David Noble
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,090 Times in 386 Posts

Bill, I'm waiting for that book!
David Noble is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-28-2012, 12:44 PM   #7
Pa SxS
Research Chairman
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 4,960 Times in 1,418 Posts

Back in the late 70's I traded a PH 12ga Parker with twist barrels plus a mint Superposed pigeon grade lightening trap gun at a gun show for a Westley Richards SBT. The Superposed would bloody my cheek after only a round or two. Found out while waiting for the gun to arrive it was not worth anything near what I thought. Called the dealer back up and of course his reply was "I've already sold the Superposed." I was young and stupid but I'm trying to learn from my mistakes.
Chuck Bishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-28-2012, 08:32 PM   #8
Hammer Gun
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 7,680 Times in 1,644 Posts

I can tell you about stupid, Years ago before I knew much about Parkers I got in trade a 20 ga CHE Do not remember the barrel length But am going to look the ser# up as I keep records of every gun that I have ever owned and see. Well I traded this Parker for 2 colt pistols, a viper and a short barrel nickel Python, which I still have but would love to have that little 20 CHE I get the see# and see if any one has it in our group Gary
Gary Carmichael Sr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-28-2012, 08:54 PM   #9
Larry Mason
PGCA Member

Member Info

Mr. Murphy,
I'll pre-pay for my copy!
Larry Mason is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-28-2012, 09:07 PM   #10
Chris T.
PGCA Member

Member Info

I can relate to Bill. I had a nice documented CHE pigeon gun with 32" barrels, straight stock, no safety. The stock dimensions were awesome, it felt better than any Parker I had before or have had since. I had it in my hands, even brought it home, but I got cold feet because the price was out of my comfort zone and sent it back.
Chris Travinski is offline   Reply With Quote