Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Hunting with Parkers

Notices

a covey of grouse
Unread 10-10-2020, 07:24 AM   #1
Ed Norman
Forum Associate

Member Info

Default a covey of grouse

When I was in my early 20's I hunted behind a wire haired pointer that a friend had. The dog went on point, 4 or 5 grouse flushed, I took a shot and 2 birds fell. My buddy and his wife were there, she said he got 2 birds!! Fast forward 40 plus years later. We have had our brittany for 3 hunting seasons now. My first hunt with him 3 years ago he pointed 8 grouse and a woodcock on opening day, 5 of those were in a covey and those birds flushed one right after the other. I never took a shot, I thought they were to far away for a shot. Two days ago, I went out for an hour hunt, cash pointed 3 woodcock that held, I missed every bird I shot at. I went to another area that was what I call a mid growth woods with a lot of poplar trees, ferns, some crabapple trees etc. He went on point, as I walked in a grouse flew right between us and behind me, a very hard shot, but it was the most open shot I have had this year. I missed that one too, we went to where I saw the grouse fly and hunted that whole area to make sure I didn't kill that bird. (I did the same for the woodcock I missed earlier) I was in an area of this woods I have not hunted yet, I saw about 5 acres of ferns going down into a small valley, not many trees, a perfect spot for woodcock. My brittany cash went on point, I walked towards him thinking I might actually get a shot in here. A grouse flushed to my right, I pulled up and 2 more flushed I swung on those two (thinking double) and pulled the trigger, then I pulled the rear trigger, I realized I did not take the safety off. I was dropping the gun, cash was still on point another grouse flew, I pulled up on that one, then another one flushed, gun still won't fire, the 6th bird flushed and flew right up into a tree about 20 feet away and 20 feet high and just looked down at me. I opened my gun, shut it, pushed the safety on and off and figured out I must of had a bad case of buck fever, or my thumb just slid off the safety and didn't move the safety lever forward. On the way home, I stopped by my brittanies breeder and he said "buck fever" was the cause. Yesterday I hunted for 30 minutes before work. Cash goes on point, woodcock flushed everything worked fine. I am kind of glad I had buck fever, I will have a smile on my face the rest of my life thinking about that moment with my brittany cash.
Ed Norman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Ed Norman For Your Post:
Unread 10-10-2020, 07:35 AM   #2
mobirdhunter
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 9,559 Times in 3,070 Posts

Sadly, there are lots of folks who will never experience the exhilaration of points and flushes...and the wonderful befuddlement they sometimes bring. Ed, I think we all have had our share of excitement-induced "safety" issues, I know I have. It's also interesting that I remember those as often as I do the times when I shoot well.

Glad to read you're getting out and having good action. I'm sure Cash is OK with finding so many birds.
Garry L Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Garry L Gordon For Your Post:
Unread 10-10-2020, 08:24 AM   #3
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,175 Times in 12,362 Posts

The stuff memories are made from. And I have lots of those stored away.

George King, "That's Ruff", 2010 - a timeless classic.
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dean Romig For Your Post:
Unread 10-10-2020, 09:18 AM   #4
Bob K
PGCA Member

Member Info

Buck fever is a common affliction! My first year with a hunting license (1958) I pulled up on a nice buck with my model 94 and ejected three live rounds and never pulled the trigger. In my mind I must have been saying bang, bang, bang!
Bob Kimble is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bob Kimble For Your Post:
Unread 10-10-2020, 09:48 AM   #5
Brett Hoop
PGCA Member

Member Info

You harvested some wonderful memories, all said and done that’s what we are hunting.
Brett Hoop is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Brett Hoop For Your Post:
Unread 10-10-2020, 10:13 AM   #6
Jeff S.
PGCA Member

Member Info

Nice to hear that you and Cash are seeing some birds.
Jeff Stegmeier is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jeff Stegmeier For Your Post:
Unread 10-10-2020, 07:50 PM   #7
Ed Norman
Forum Associate

Member Info

thanks guys, that first time I got two birds with one shot never made that much of an impact on me until now. The forty year lay off has really helped me put things in perspective. I just started laughing after all those flushes, my dog never moved until the last one flushed and the scent started dispersing. I was more proud of him than ever. Today I hunted with one of the guys that work at a large high end gun shop. He has a young brittany, and cash was extraordinary today too. I think we had 3 woodcock points and 2 of those held, and 7 grouse, 3 grouse held, and we had a couple of shots. My hunting partner couldn't believe how well cash held a point. Jeff S. the flight birds should be coming soon, but we have a lot of woodcock around here anyways it seems this year, and the leaves are starting to come off the poplar slashings. You are welcome to come up again. I have had some rough hunts too, with none or only one or two points. Most of my buddies are are doing well overall, a lot of woodcock, but they also have some tough days too. I still cannot believe how lucky we are to live in this area where there are so many birds....
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ed Norman For Your Post:
Unread 10-10-2020, 11:41 PM   #8
stumpstalker
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,380 Times in 680 Posts

Ed:

Are you sure it was all buck fever?

This is what I believe happened with me, and it seems reminiscent of what led up to your ecstatic moments of hesitancy:

1) In the morning I had missed every bird.

2) Apparently spent powder residue or foreign matter was accumulating in the action, or breech and barrel faces, leading to a threshold point later in the day, so that when I thought my gun was closed, it was NOT fully-closed; thus, the safety would not move.

3) I was not aware of the developing condition in the gun, nor what I was doing wrong with my manipulations at critical moments when birds were going up. I was not pulling the trigger, did not know why, and just attributed it to a late-afternoon climaxing of vague ineptitude, Buck Fever.

4) The problem with the gun was remedied when I recognized that I had to snap the gun closed after reloading, and not close it gently, as I would on an empty-chambered gun.

Does that sound possible in your case? Has anyone else had the same experience?

The top lever not being centered should have been a give-away that the gun was not closed, but I don’t know where it had stopped-short. My eyes were elsewhere, with a bird about to go.

It is still a strain of Buck Fever, as I analyze it, but with a mechanical assist.
Unread 10-11-2020, 07:55 AM   #9
Ed Norman
Forum Associate

Member Info

Russell,
I am so glad you posted this!!! I have had one other time when my gun did this, and I believe I had a small twig or pine needle stopping the gun from fully closing. I had taken 2 shots at 1 woodcock earlier that hunt, and one other shot at another woodcock. In the heat of the moment things were not making sense. If it was a "mechanical assist" version of buck fever I am ok with that too. I will tell you that I will admit buck fever every time I ever get in that situation again, if I am ever lucky enough to have that situation happen again. I am sure that 40 year lay off has something to do with how excited I am getting. I ask a lot of questions in here and with my buddies because of my lack of knowledge/experience hunting. I will take more time now making sure that gun is closed properly. I am glad you posted this. Thanks, Ed
The Following User Says Thank You to Ed Norman For Your Post:
Unread 10-11-2020, 08:48 AM   #10
Woodcock survey
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,400 Times in 598 Posts

This is a good thing i think. This year marks 60 years i have been able to hunt on my own and I still get the same feeling of excitement when a bird rises.
Every year that first bird of the year leaves me flummoxed , shaking, confused and asking what just happened. By the end of the day, yesterday, I have come back to my hoped for state of mediocrity.
If it ever changes i will give it up but that excitement is why we do it.
Daniel Carter is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Daniel Carter For Your Post: