Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

Unread 09-20-2021, 12:28 PM   #41
Mike of the Mountain
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,667 Times in 2,628 Posts

Mike, we started doing a Pro-Am Shoot here at our SXS event. We take the top 5 scores and bottom 5 scores in any 50 bird event and pair them up. Basically 1-10,2-9,3-8,4-7,5-6. Shoot-off has 5 report pair. The "Am" must shoot at each target first, the "Pro" can only shoot back-up. Keeps it interesting and gets more shooters involved into the competetive team concept. They all have fun and no complaints about the format. I like the FPC and FLC in the top 5 vs top 5 format, but will shoot it no matter what is done. Maybe a Pro-Am type deal as a new event with no differentiation between Parker or Fox shot earlier in the day? All scores put in the list and Pros and Ams figured from there. Only issue would be whether the 5-Stand would be busy or not.
Mike Koneski is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mike Koneski For Your Post:
Visit Mike Koneski's homepage!
Unread 09-20-2021, 12:49 PM   #42
Woodcock survey
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,386 Times in 594 Posts

A club i belong to 35 years had a man who bought a Perazzi and spent a few thousand dollars on a skeet coach so he could win the winter and summer skeet league. He won going away and was very smug about it, to the point of being obnoxious. A system of handicap was brought up and he was incensed, he would again have to be in competion with the little people. He refused to play when this was proposed and went away. We all lived happily ever after.
Daniel Carter is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Daniel Carter For Your Post:
Unread 09-20-2021, 01:32 PM   #43
Cold Spring
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 6,229 Times in 1,200 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryl Corona View Post
[snip] ...... Once again the super sporting course yesterday was great! If any members can get the chance to shoot it at Rock Mountain, don't pass it up. Sometimes it ain't about the score but the fun of a new venue.
Sunday marked the annual members shoot-off and luncheon at nearby Rock Mountain. Daryl and Smitty stopped by to shoot before heading back to their homes, First pic L to R - Abby, Frank, Daryl and Mike

Second: Quite a range of guns on our squad ..... two Parker small bores (28 & 16), Model 12, Browning o/u and Beretta competition gas gun

Last: Abby is getting close to getting her own vintage SxS. Here she's trying out Mike's way cool 32" VH 16 bore
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_7612.jpg (503.7 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_7614.jpg (505.8 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_7615.jpg (498.1 KB, 4 views)
Frank Srebro is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Frank Srebro For Your Post:
Unread 09-20-2021, 05:02 PM   #44
Double Lab
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 6,079 Times in 2,378 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Koneski View Post
Mike, we started doing a Pro-Am Shoot here at our SXS event. We take the top 5 scores and bottom 5 scores in any 50 bird event and pair them up. Basically 1-10,2-9,3-8,4-7,5-6. Shoot-off has 5 report pair. The "Am" must shoot at each target first, the "Pro" can only shoot back-up. Keeps it interesting and gets more shooters involved into the competetive team concept. They all have fun and no complaints about the format. I like the FPC and FLC in the top 5 vs top 5 format, but will shoot it no matter what is done. Maybe a Pro-Am type deal as a new event with no differentiation between Parker or Fox shot earlier in the day? All scores put in the list and Pros and Ams figured from there. Only issue would be whether the 5-Stand would be busy or not.
I like that idea Big Guy. Might be a way to satisfy everyone but it could turn in to a time/scheduling nightmare. Something to think about.
Unread 09-20-2021, 06:49 PM   #45
Pa SxS
Research Chairman
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 4,925 Times in 1,410 Posts

Let me give you my thought per my perspective.

First the competition aspect and I'll just talk about the Parker vs. LC Smith Challenge at the Southern for now. Each year I ask myself if I really want to shoot the qualifier and pay 60 cents per target for essentially practice? Being a realist, I know I have a snowballs chance in hell of making the team. Every year I do it. Why? First, I like to hear the gun go off, secondly, I want to support my Association, and thirdly, some part of the entry fee goes to a good cause. 10 high gun shooters make the team for each Association. I don't know how many shooters shoot the qualifier but the shooting is continuous for all day Friday and a half day Saturday. That's a lot of shooters and the majority of them will never make their team. It's the same shooters who make the team year after year plus or minus a couple of new additions. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy watching these guys break targets in the shootoff that I can't hit in my dreams. No amount of practice at my age will bring me up to their level.

Now for the Fox Parker Challenge, I want to congratulate Steve, Craig, and Daryl for trying something new to get the "average shooter" involved in the challenge. It seems like many of the "Top Dogs" don't like it. I guess only 2 "Top Dogs" in the shootoff is not enough. They want it all, even though it's been that way in the Fox Parker Challenge for years, and it's always been that way at the Southern. I can tell you that my name was drawn for the Parker team and I was apprehensive about shooting. I didn't want everyone to see how bad of a shot I was (although many already knew) and cost the Parker team the win. I hadn't been in a shootoff in almost 20 years while shooting ATA. I sucked it up and shot but boy was I nervous as I'm sure Dennis Downs and Fox shooter Laura Beavers was. I can tell you this, my nerves were a wreck and my heart was pounding when I took the line. My memory of shootoffs long ago are still etched in my memory and this one will be too. Lets think of the average shooters in our Associations a little more, the "Top Dogs" will still get their bones. Big shout out to Laura Beavers for giving it her best shot.
Chuck Bishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-20-2021, 06:53 PM   #46
Mills
PGCA Lifetime Member
Since 3rd Grade

Member Info

Thanked 12,306 Times in 4,411 Posts

I was the “random” guy chosen for the Fall Southern shoot off years ago. I managed to not cost the team a victory and still have the trophy in my office. Looked at it and thought about that day today as a matter of fact
Unread 09-20-2021, 06:54 PM   #47
Pa SxS
Research Chairman
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Some pictures of the Fox Parker Challenge. Moe, Larry, Curly
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 500_0544.jpg (91.1 KB, 2 views)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Chuck Bishop For Your Post:
Unread 09-20-2021, 06:56 PM   #48
Pa SxS
Research Chairman
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Team Fox
L to R
Dick Mider
Jeff Stegmeier
Laura Beavers
Dana Farrell
Mike Smith
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 500_0554.jpg (199.8 KB, 7 views)
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Chuck Bishop For Your Post:
Unread 09-20-2021, 06:58 PM   #49
Pa SxS
Research Chairman
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Team Parker
L to R
Dennis Downs
Mal McGregor
Mike Koneski
Chuck Bishop
Dave Defernelmont
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 500_0552.jpg (189.2 KB, 2 views)
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Chuck Bishop For Your Post:
Unread 09-20-2021, 06:59 PM   #50
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,039 Times in 12,321 Posts

Chuck - I applaud you for speaking with impunity of your candid opinions. Thank you!

George King, "That's Ruff", 2010 - a timeless classic.
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Dean Romig For Your Post: