Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Non-Parker Specific & General Discussions General Discussions about Other Fine Doubles

Notices

Browning 16 gauge Gran Lighting
Unread 04-07-2022, 08:40 AM   #1
Jim Thoma
PGCA Member

Member Info

Default Browning 16 gauge Gran Lighting

Any thoughts on the 16 gauge Browning does anyone own one thinking of purchasing one please give me your thoughts or convince me to buy one.
Jim Thoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-07-2022, 09:21 AM   #2
Joe from MO
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,121 Times in 422 Posts

The Browning citori's are great guns. And, the Gran Lightning is one of the nicer ones they are making today. I just bought a CXS White and am very happy with it. I've got a Super Lightning, and hunting grade citori's as well. For me, the citoris always fit better than the Berretta's...... If at all possible I'd try to shoot one before you buy though, as just because I like the way it fits and feels, doesn't mean you will. $3k+ is a sizeable investment on a gun you've never shot.....
Unread 04-07-2022, 09:34 AM   #3
Double Lab
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 6,211 Times in 2,411 Posts

You really can't go wrong with a Browning. Starting with the early Superpose right up to the Citori's . Lots of choices and repairs, if needed, won't take two years.
Unread 04-07-2022, 09:41 AM   #4
BS
PGCA Member

Member Info

Nice gun. Built on the twenty gauge frame, Beautiful wood.
- Brett
The Following User Says Thank You to Brett Souder For Your Post:
Unread 04-07-2022, 11:31 AM   #5
6pt-Sika
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 7,524 Times in 3,400 Posts

I make no bones about it I prefer the Superposed over the Citori but thats my father still having a bearing on what to buy .

Browning Citori's are about as tough a gun for the dollar as can be purchased . I've known a boatload of people that shot Citori's exclusively at skeet for many years and typically these folks would put 30-50K shots thru the guns each year . Only thing you need to do with that amount of shooting is take them to a COMPETENT gunsmith and have him take the action apart and clean it well every year or every other year , a lot of folks that shot that much rountinely had their guns cleaned as well having the firing pins and hammer springs replaced . Not saying it's necessary just what target shooters tend to do .

My first skeet gun was a Browning Citori 4 barrel set . It was a nice enough gun but I wanted to go to 28" barrels and a tubed gun so down the road it went .

The only other Citori's I've owned were a pair of 16 gauge guns the first was a plain vanila Lightning 28" gun thirtyfive years ago that was my Sporting Clays - Dove gun . The other Citori 16 I owned was also a plain vanila Upland Special 24" gun , that was my grouse gun at the time .

I've been close to buying another Citori of some denomination in 16 gauge for a number of years and still think about it often . The only reason I'e not gotten another was usually when I found one I liked it was either higher priced than I was willing to go or I found a Parker or a rifle I'd rather have .
Unread 04-07-2022, 11:49 AM   #6
Alan Phillips
Forum Associate

Member Info

Default Browning 16

Although I have collected many types of shotguns I have always used Brownings for hunting about 90% of the time. They have never failed me. When the 16 was offered I was quick to purchase one of the first. Still have that one and after 1000's of rounds and not a little abuse it still is as tight as the day I bought it and never a malfunction. I have several in my safe (back up guns?) that I am sure will outlast me and probably the next several owners.
Alan Phillips is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-07-2022, 12:09 PM   #7
Andy
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,454 Times in 966 Posts

I think Beretta's handle better due to the shallower frame, but I have owned a half dozen Citori's, love them, and they just never quit. My current favorite is a 20g Citori Skeet gun with 28" barrels, but I'm eyeballing a Superposed as you can get a solid 12g Superposed for comparable money to a new Citori these days. 16g going to be tougher. I have not shot the Gran Lightning.
Unread 04-07-2022, 12:28 PM   #8
Mike of the Mountain
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,860 Times in 2,673 Posts

The Citori are tough guns. When I still shot NSCA registered targets I used a brand new 425. Put well over 100,000 rounds through that gun and only ever had to replace a few springs and two firing pins once. I still have the gun and it's a rental here at our range.
Mike Koneski is offline   Reply With Quote
Visit Mike Koneski's homepage!
Unread 04-07-2022, 01:00 PM   #9
Timothy Salgado
PGCA Member

Member Info

My go to hunting shotgun is a Browning Citori Lightning 16 gauge , or was since my grandson started hunting with me. We use it regularly for Wobble Trap to get ready for the season and it works great on pheasants, and ducks with bismuth shells. I’ve been keeping my eye out for another one and I prefer the Lightning configuration as opposed to the Hunter style. Here’s a photo from a pheasant hunt a few years ago. You can’t go wrong with a Browning 16 in my opinion.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 41372355-583C-4366-93AE-831B9F298336.jpg (542.1 KB, 0 views)
Timothy Salgado is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-07-2022, 01:55 PM   #10
nid-28
PGCA Member

Member Info

I bought one of the original Citori 16’s many years ago and it gave flawless service. Somewhere along the line, I sold it! A few months ago, I saw the new Gran Lightning 16 being offered and bought a 28 inch model with very nice wood. It has a relaxed pistol grip and a field style forearm without a schnable, which is a plus. This particular gun shoots where I look and has nice detail and workmanship. I’ve used Citori’s in all gauges and in many places including South America. The the best gun for the least money that is available today. I give it top marks in all categories. The prices have increased lately, like everything else, but the value is still there.
Bill Davis is offline   Reply With Quote