Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Non-Parker Specific & General Discussions Man's Best Friend

Notices

DOG WITH TORN ACL's
Unread 11-21-2016, 11:56 PM   #1
Phil C
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 5,917 Times in 1,432 Posts

Default DOG WITH TORN ACL's

I got back from the vet with one of my dogs. It seems while out hunting she tore her ACL's on both the left and right rear leg. She is a heck of a hunting dog but she is at least out for the season. She is 8 years old so still has 2 to 3 more seasons ahead of her. They gave me an estimate for surgery and I about choked.
Two ways to go one is at a cost of 5K the other is 10K. I just may retire her and let her live out her time in the back yard.
The other option I will try is a more natural approach using rehab, diet, supplements and possibly braces. I know we have a lot of dog knowledge on the Parker board. I am hoping you can share any of your experiences using a non evasive approach. Please feel free to share your comments here or PM me. All help is appreciated.

http://parkerguns.org/forums/attachm...1&d=1479786650
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2683.jpg (590.3 KB, 11 views)
Phillip Carr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-22-2016, 06:27 AM   #2
Craig Larter
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 10,213 Times in 1,622 Posts

I had a Lab that tore both CCL's cranial crucrate ligaments (the equivalent of a ACL in humans). I elected to have the TPLO surgery done and it was very successful, but she was under 2 years old. For a canine athlete my advise is TPLO surgery (the more expensive option) is the only way to go. Since your dog would require over a year to fully recover and since she is 8, I would retire her. Very crushing, I feel sorry for you it is a real blow to a dog man. Good luck with your decision,
Craig Larter is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-22-2016, 06:47 AM   #3
Phil C
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanks Craig, yes it is the CCL, I keep referring to it as the ACL which it is not. The surgery due to her age is not a good option. Time to retire her unfortunately.
I am planning on trying to use alternate treatments to improve her stability, and reduce any discomfort. I have seen some braces and may try them.
Unread 11-22-2016, 08:18 AM   #4
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,039 Times in 12,321 Posts

There have been discussions on this topic on the Shooting Sportsman forum under the 'hunting dogs' heading by some top dog men.

George King, "That's Ruff", 2010 - a timeless classic.
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-22-2016, 08:21 AM   #5
Phil C
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thank you Dean, I will have a look right away.
Unread 11-22-2016, 08:37 AM   #6
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

I can't say how helpful they will be but they were good discussions of opinions and experiences.

Unread 11-22-2016, 08:49 AM   #7
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Search keywords...

Is surgery really necessary for dog's...

Unread 11-22-2016, 11:14 AM   #8
Bill Bates
Forum Associate

Member Info

I went through this with one of my setters 3 years ago. My six year old setter blew his knee out a week before the season. I guess I'm glad I live where I do the repair surgery cost about $1500 from a vet recommended by my regular doc.

The surgery was successful but the recovery time was well over a year. The worst part was the first couple months where I had to keep a very active setter from running or playing. Then it was slow going; kind of a two steps forward, one step back sort of thing.

One downside is the vet tells me that dogs that have this sort of problem tend to sooner or later have the other knee go. So far I've been lucky, knock on wood, my dog has been okay.
Bill Bates is offline   Reply With Quote
Visit Bill Bates's homepage!
Unread 11-22-2016, 11:19 AM   #9
B. Dudley
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 17,411 Times in 4,591 Posts

My dog (not a hunting dog) had two torn ACLs. We elected not to have any surgery done and he recovered fine with just limiting his activity and administering anti-inflamitory medication.

Keep in mind that the different types of surgeries are just methods of stabilizing the joint so that scar tissue can develop in the proper way. The same thing can be done with activity limitation so that the scar tissue will repair the joint naturally.
Why would bones need to be cut and altered to correct the problem. ?
And the other proceedure (not usually recommended for bigger dogs) where a rubber band is put in, thay are basically designed to stretch out or eventually break over time. But the hopes are that the band will fail after scar tissue has done its job.

Just my thoughts based on my experiences.
Visit Brian Dudley's homepage!
Unread 11-22-2016, 11:46 AM   #10
David Fishley
On Vacation

Member Info

At torn ACL is a tendon and torn tendons do not heal, fuse, or any other thing. They remain torn without surgery to tie them back to the bone. Chemicals of any kind either synthetic or natural will not fix the situation. A dog with a torn ALC and no repair may learn to compensate and get around but a hunting dog or competition dog it will no longer be. You can expect a limp and most probably early arthritis.

My good friend and field trialer had a ACL tear in June on one of her labs. It is just getting better and always under constant supervision while out but he tore the other side this weekend just loping around on cut grass.
David Fishley is offline   Reply With Quote