Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Parker Reproductions

Notices

Calls and e-mails to busy craftsmen
Unread 04-17-2010, 09:20 AM   #21
Old and Reliable
PGCA Member

Member Info

Default Calls and e-mails to busy craftsmen

Tom- one of my traits, I guess, at almost 70, is my loyalty to good friends. I've known Brad Bachelder and his family operated custom gunsmithing operation for over 25 years, so I am more than a casual customer, I'm also a good friend and hunting partner with Brad. Two of the prized LC Smith 12 bores in my 'working collection" were also purchased from him, and I have a eye on an Ideal 12 with the Hunter One trigger and ejectors as well.

That being said, I have sometimes called or e-mailed them and left a message and not always received a quick reply. In my circumstances, that is no problem as I am retired and have time to travel about 27 miles from my home to his shop in Grand Rapids. Brad does a lot of business with all the area LE agencies on their issue weapons- sidearms and shoulder weapons, his store front is small and often jammed with customers.

Except for "vintage" shotshell boxes, he does not sell ammo or reloading supplies, instead he refers customers looking for those items to the Rylee's Ace Hardware and Sporting Goods just up MI Ave. to the West of his place. That's good business, IMO. Keep the $ spent locally.

Brad's wife Lori is a real treasure. I have never seen her flustered, even with ringing phones, UPS deliveries, and three customers waiting to pick up their firearms.

If you were trying to reach the Gun Library at Cabela's or Bass Pro, and didn't get a reply, I could see the reason for possible concern. But this is a smaller op.- normal hours are 1000 to 1700 Tues through Fri. summer hours, in the Fall I believe Brad has sometimes opened on Mondays to cover the greater amount of hunting season traffic.

You might want to try their direct e-mail instead. It is: bachelderfirearm@aol.com-- their website is: www.bacheldermastergunmakers.com--

There are many top shelf gunsmiths mentioned on our PGCA, among them I have observed messers: Vicknair, Rotelli, Bicknell, Kercher and Brad is also well mentioned. As I only know Brad, I tend to mention him first. I am also friends and a customer of Buck Hamlin in Mo., but as Buck, wisely perhaps, elects not to list on the Internet, I could only give you his phone number. I suspect he is out in the hardwoods now, 10 bore Smith or LeFever in hand, and a big Gobbler is a "Daed man Walking" soon--

I think, in fairness here, if you read the recent posts and see the fotos posted of some examples of Brad's work, you will wish to contact him. You will not be disappointed in the outcome.
Francis Morin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Francis Morin For Your Post:
Unread 04-18-2010, 08:11 AM   #22
ch
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

What method does he use for coloring. And would that be somewhat correct for a 1881 lifter? ch
calvin humburg is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to calvin humburg For Your Post:
You done come to de goat house fo wool
Unread 04-18-2010, 09:53 AM   #23
Old and Reliable
PGCA Member

Member Info

Default You done come to de goat house fo wool

Sorry Cal. Even if I knew the answer to your question, I would refer you directly to Brad. I'm getting old and sometimes forgetful, fortunately I have friends like Brad and others who make allowances for that.

I have seen some Parkers and others on his for sale rack that he has refinished or restored- I'm not enough of a expert to know the difference in those terms, if any. I am sure he would be glad to discuss your fine old lifter Parker with you, and whatever he tells you will be the "Gospel truth"-

OT- but I read one of your other threads and sensed a note of frustration. For what it's worth, I am near 70, didn't grow up in the electronics age, and share your feelings. But I have been helped and befriended by many members of the PGCA, and I hope you will not give up either. There is a great deal of knowlege shared here about not just our beloved Parkers!
Let me know if you decide to contact Brad and how it works out for you.-
Francis Morin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Francis Morin For Your Post:
Unread 04-18-2010, 01:25 PM   #24
Setter Man
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,636 Times in 634 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by calvin humburg View Post
What method does he use for coloring. And would that be somewhat correct for a 1881 lifter? ch
The 28 which is the subject of this thread was done with bone and charcoal.
Jay Gardner is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jay Gardner For Your Post:
Unread 04-18-2010, 02:09 PM   #25
ch
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Jay thank you what a nice job he did. ch
calvin humburg is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to calvin humburg For Your Post: