Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Parker Reproductions

Notices

Altering Repros, does it make a difference?
Unread 07-20-2013, 12:18 AM   #1
Wild Skies
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 3,603 Times in 984 Posts

Default Altering Repros, does it make a difference?

We all are aware of how serious collectors feel about altering Parker Bros. guns from the way they left the factory in Meriden -- they want them all original and pooh-pooh anything short of that, but what about Repros?

Let's say you were to cut off the skeleton butt plate and install a pad on your Repro, would you expect that to affect its value? How about opening chokes? How about refinishing? What do alterations do to the desirability and resale value of Parker Repros? I'm looking for opinions, what's your's?
Unread 07-20-2013, 12:32 AM   #2
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,042 Times in 12,322 Posts

Personally, I believe that altering repros can negatively affect the value... except in certain cases. To that point, to have an expert professional re-do the color case hardening is a positive if some original color is worn or flaked off. Another positive on a used Repro is to have an expert cut the mullered borders on the checkering... keeping in mind that the Parker Reproduction by Winchester is an exact copy of the Remington era Parkers that were sent to Japan in order that every detail of the original gun could be accurately duplicated, and Remington did not cut mullered borders on their Parker's checkering.
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-20-2013, 01:06 AM   #3
Wild Skies
PGCA Member

Member Info

Dean, would you extend your allowance to re-case coloring all original, but colorless Parker Bros. guns and mullering Remington Parkers or do you draw the line to just Repros?
The Following User Says Thank You to Greg Baehman For Your Post:
Unread 07-20-2013, 08:20 AM   #4
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,042 Times in 12,322 Posts

No, I would not alter an original Parker. Some colorless originals might benefit from re-case coloring but a Remington Parker would lose value in my opinion if the borders were mullered... in my opinion. Doing so would be akin to opening a Parker's chokes. In my opinion - if you don't like something about your Parker, get another one that better suits your tastes... there are few enough unaltered Parker's out there.
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dean Romig For Your Post:
Unread 07-20-2013, 08:42 AM   #5
SXS OHIO
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,888 Times in 533 Posts

First we are talking about parker reproductions that the most are meant to be working guns. A new unfired or nice original gun will always hold its value! A used gun that has been refinished but is original otherwise is also good but worth less than the same item with original finishes. Now start altering the gun like remove the SSBP, shorten stocks, add wood back, mess with barrels, change wood, ect. This kind of work will always decrease the guns value. Most up-grade work if done properly will hold some extra value but must not be ugly or over the top. Spend 10K making up a A1 spl from a lower grade gun....that's great for the owner who wants his dream gun but will most likely never bring back the investment made when sold. My advice: Only make alterations if there is no other option, make sure the gun is a keeper working gun that will be used in its new configuration. You must get the value lost by using the gun. Like a car or truck....the more you drive and enjoy it the less its worth.....Parker reproductions were made to use....(-: I use mine and I don't look back! thanks all SXS ohio
Kenny Graft is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Kenny Graft For Your Post:
Unread 07-20-2013, 11:46 AM   #6
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,786 Times in 4,718 Posts

One thing we must remember is that a flat back pad installed on a Repro with a cut off skeleton butt comes out at about the same length it was before. A creative way to get around that is to leave the wood intact and install the pad on the original curve and fill in the widow's peak with black acraglass.
Bill Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-20-2013, 12:28 PM   #7
Ken Hill
PGCA Member

Member Info

Interesting discussion to say the least. Original Parkers were modified to suit the needs of the owner and now we value an original gun not the modified gun. When the original Parkers were made, they were meant to be used.

The repro guns aren't that old and who knows what an unmolested one will be worth 50 years from now. If you are buying a modified repro, then make sure the modifications are what you would have done and for less than an unmolested gun.
Ken Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ken Hill For Your Post:
Unread 07-20-2013, 01:20 PM   #8
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,786 Times in 4,718 Posts

An outrageous restocked 28 gauge Repro 2 barrel set was sold at the Easton MD show last fall for a very reasonable price. I was disappointed I didn't give it a closer look, but it sold like lightning before I got a close look. What a great gun it was, much nicer than the original. I know where it is, but I don't think it will ever come on the market. I'm sure the restock cost way over half the selling price of the gun.
Bill Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-20-2013, 04:22 PM   #9
Wild Skies
PGCA Member

Member Info

Let's add some dollars and cents to this discussion . . .

It seems that most would agree that some alterations may yield a positive effect to the practical value of a Repro, but will create a negative effect on the monetary value. How much is the question?

Restocking, as Bill Murphy pointed out, can add to the practical (fit issues) value and aesthetics of the gun, but it surely could be argued that it would be detrimental to resale value. Same goes for refinishing. A seller would be lucky to break even and most likely would take a $500 hit, maybe more, if and when they decide to sell if making these alterations.

Whack off a skeleton butt plate to install a pad a seller of a 12 or 20-ga. Repro may realize it cost him $500 to $1000 to do so, a 28-ga. owner may see a $1500 loss.

Alter the chokes on a set of 28-ga. 28" DHE Repro barrels a seller may find out it cost him upwards of $500 of monetary value in doing so, even though it may have added a little perceived practical value to him or her.

Those are my opinions, what do you think?
Unread 07-20-2013, 04:47 PM   #10
Ken Hill
PGCA Member

Member Info

As Bill mentioned above, cutting off the skeleton butt and adding a pad may not buy much for the LOP. The skeleton butt is a nice treatment on the repros. I agree cutting off the skeleton butt and adding a pad is a big deduction ($1000). You can always use a slip-on pad. Opening 28ga 28" chokes that are wrong to begin with is maybe $100 as long as they are opened correctly and are usable.
Ken Hill is offline   Reply With Quote