Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Parker Reproductions

Notices

Unread 12-10-2018, 07:09 PM   #21
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,787 Times in 3,967 Posts

i always wanted one of them reproduction parkers even way back when they first came out...still want one but aint made the call yet...maybe someday....charlie
charlie cleveland is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-12-2018, 02:45 PM   #22
Bob Jurewicz
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,920 Times in 554 Posts

I just reread Mr. Trevallian's story on the repro and realized that one small import piece of the history was missing. John Allen reported that 25 sets of original factory 30" 12 gauge barrels were manufactured. This fact is well worth inclusion in the Parker Reproduction History.
Bob Jurewicz
Bob Jurewicz is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bob Jurewicz For Your Post:
Unread 12-12-2018, 03:25 PM   #23
Bindlestiff
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 2,924 Times in 869 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Laudermilch View Post
I certainly hope a copy of this article will find a home in the Parker paper section of the archives.
I can't copy the article to our web area because there is some issue with a photo. Sorry.
Robin Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-13-2018, 01:31 PM   #24
Wild Skies
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 3,600 Times in 984 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Flanigan View Post
In some ways I guess the reproduction was better than the original. Modern steel and much better wood generally. But it is in the fit and finish area that I think they fall short of the original, at least the DHE. I bought one when they came out but have sold it. My gun and others I have seen did not generally have as nice a wood to metal fit. Also, the checkering on my gun had run overs and crossed lines. I have seen the same mistakes on other reproductions.

~~~snip~~~
I don't doubt you happened to buy a Parker Reproduction in which the checkering had overruns or crossed lines, but I believe that to be the exception rather than the rule.

I just examined very closely the several Repros that I own and could not find a single overrun or any crossed lines in the checkering, nor do I recall any other Repros I have owned or have examined that have shown these issues. I've also gone through the twenty pages of the "Let's See Some Wood" thread and could not find a single example of a Repro that has overruns or crossed lines.

I wish someone would post a pic of what I've been missing.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Greg Baehman For Your Post:
Unread 12-13-2018, 02:04 PM   #25
B. Dudley
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 17,411 Times in 4,591 Posts

The biggest fault in the Checkering on Parker Reproductions is that on the DHE guns and forends of BHE guns, the point patterns are not true point patterns. They are fill in patterns. The whole pattern was laid out at once and then the checkering filled in. Vs. the borders of the pattern being defined by the checkering like a true point pattern should be. ie: the straight borders of the pattern should be parallel to the lines of the checkering. You will find this situation on nearly all Reproduction guns. It is simply a quicker way to do things in a production setting.
Unread 12-13-2018, 02:26 PM   #26
Big D
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 3,597 Times in 1,550 Posts

Was the checkering done manually, or was it laser cut?
Unread 12-13-2018, 03:21 PM   #27
B. Dudley
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 17,411 Times in 4,591 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Dallas View Post
That I cannot say. I wasn't there. It would be interesting to know.
Unread 12-13-2018, 03:43 PM   #28
Wild Skies
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 3,600 Times in 984 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Dallas View Post
Parker Reproduction brochures state that they were hand checkered.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg user4_pic1016_1264522080.jpg (165.6 KB, 11 views)
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Greg Baehman For Your Post:
Unread 12-13-2018, 04:05 PM   #29
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,039 Times in 12,321 Posts

The checkering doesn’t look to have been laser cut but the border cuts look like they may have been.

George King, "That's Ruff", 2010 - a timeless classic.
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-13-2018, 05:28 PM   #30
Tom Flanigan
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 1,253 Times in 425 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Baehman View Post
I don't doubt you happened to buy a Parker Reproduction in which the checkering had overruns or crossed lines, but I believe that to be the exception rather than the rule.

I just examined very closely the several Repros that I own and could not find a single overrun or any crossed lines in the checkering, nor do I recall any other Repros I have owned or have examined that have shown these issues. I've also gone through the twenty pages of the "Let's See Some Wood" thread and could not find a single example of a Repro that has overruns or crossed lines.

I wish someone would post a pic of what I've been missing.

My comments were not meant to be derogatory of the repro’s, just my personal take on the gun being better than the originals. They were an awful lot of gun for the money when they came out and still are. But the fit and finish of the DHE’s is not the equal of original guns. I don’t see how it could be and keep the price at a point where the gun would be marketable, even being built in Japan. The checkering was not a true point pattern as Brian pointed out and the checkered area of the skeleton butt was glued on. And, of course, the case hardening was not bone charcoal. None of this detracts from a gun at the repro’s price point. If the gun was finished the way Parker did it, it couldn’t be brought to market at a price that put it in reach of the average person.

My gun and the few I have examined were early guns. Perhaps the later repro’s had better checkering. Sometimes I can correct mistakes in checkering if they are not too bad. But on this gun I had to take the checkering down to the wood and do it properly. The checkering on my repro was very poorly done, especially on the forend. Cross overs, depressed areas where a mistake was made and then checkered deeper to cover it up and other imperfections. I’m not saying this was typical. But I did see mistakes on a few other repro’s I examined back when I had an interest in them.

All in all it was a great effort to bring these guns to market and price them within the reach of the average person. They were fine firearms and will last as long or longer than the originals. My hat is off to the folks who made this happen.
Tom Flanigan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tom Flanigan For Your Post: