Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Parker Restoration

Notices

advice solicited on Acra-Glas
Unread 02-14-2010, 09:08 PM   #1
Old and Reliable
PGCA Member

Member Info

Default advice solicited on Acra-Glas

I've used Brownell's std Acra-glas for years now- for bedding rifles to improve accuracy- and to rebild slightly damaged shotgun stocks and forearms- But- is there a method in which you can mix the resin and the hardener and some form of oil or thinner- to produce a thin skin coating to seal the exposed wood pores from the inletting/routering in the stock head areas- so that you deposit, by artist's paintbrush perhaps, a microscopic thin layer that hardens, seals the pores and any hairline interal cracks or fissures? Advise pls.
Francis Morin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-14-2010, 09:23 PM   #2
Labowner
PGCA Member

Member Info

I think it recomended to use super glue to seal wood in that area.
E Robert Fabian is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to E Robert Fabian For Your Post:
Unread 02-15-2010, 01:01 PM   #3
Chuck Heald
Forum Associate

Member Info

Brownells offers a thinner for their Acraglas.
Chuck Heald is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Chuck Heald For Your Post:
Brownell's- Good folks indeed
Unread 02-15-2010, 02:58 PM   #4
Old and Reliable
PGCA Member

Member Info

Default Brownell's- Good folks indeed

Thanks Chuck and others- I just bought a new Acra-Glas kit- save the shipping I guess. Retails for around $16.95 around my locale. I am "re-freshing" a 12 Gauge Grade 1 LC Smith- 28" barrels DT extractor gun with original straight hand grip buttstock- As we are allowed to discuss "other doubles" on the PGCA forum site, and Smiths can be prone to stock cracking in the stock head area, I like to "seal the pores" of the inletting-

First after stripping down the shotgun (and with Smiths best to leave the hammers cocked, just the opposite as to stripping down a Parker) and cleaning out any debris with a dental pick, toothpicks and very fine emery paper, I use Formby's wood cleaner solvent and a tooth brush to remove any trapped oil or dis-coloration, and let the buttstock dry after each treatment, suspended on a coat hanger wire next to the furnace-

I have been very lucky so far, this is the fourth "project Elsie" I have bought, none have had any stock cracks or splits- I prefer the pre-1913 Smiths, I never shoot heavy loads in any of them- my "SWAG" on that is- better season American black walnut available before we entered WW1- cannot prove that-And to be fair, I also prefer the hammerless Parkers made before 1916-- also better wood for the grade you buy- can't speak as to engraving for two reasons: (1) I'm not an engraving expert (2) I don't shoot a Parker higher in grade than a GHE (or a Smith higher than a 3E Grade)--

One final question on Acra-Glas-- as in the kit there is a container of release agent-- has anyone used this product- say on the edges of a sidelock inset into the stock head for final fit-up on a cracker stock- and applied the release agent to the metal and then a skin coat of Acra-Glas to just the wood? I have a friend who is great for "not following the instructions" and he permanently bedded the barrel and receiver of a Model 70 into the stock channel with Acra-Glas- instead of using modelling clay and release agent as the directions indicate-- Not Good--
Francis Morin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-15-2010, 03:29 PM   #5
Chuck Heald
Forum Associate

Member Info

I have repaired a pretty severely damaged LC by not only cutting out and replacing wood, but by using carbon fiber to reinforce the wood in the slot for the top lever and in the slot for the triggers (inside the walls for the sidelocks). I used a Zap cynoacrylate glue as the binder for the carbon cloth.
Chuck Heald is offline   Reply With Quote