Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

What would you do with it?
Unread 03-01-2013, 03:58 PM   #1
C.O.B.
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanked 6,320 Times in 2,082 Posts

Default What would you do with it?

Now that we have gone back in time with unlimited finances and have our "special" Parker in hand what are you going to do with it.

Give me the late 30's early 40's my Parker A-1 special 20ga is with me in what was then British East Africa for a two month safari traveling between Tanzania and Kenya. I also have a Westly Richards 450/400 double rifle and a Rigby bolt gun in 275 Rigby aka 7X57 or 7MM Mauser. The double rifle is for the big stuff the Rigby for the plains game.

After a long day of tracking a big tusker (100lb of ivory per side) or Mbogo in the thick scrub my Parker and I would relax around a water hole and shoot Sand Grouse, doves, francolin and guinea fowl.
Rich Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-01-2013, 04:08 PM   #2
Harold Pickens
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,829 Times in 2,017 Posts

I'd buy a house in Channing, Michigan in the UP and stay there from Sept 15 th thru the end of bird season.
Harold Lee Pickens is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Harold Lee Pickens For Your Post:
Unread 03-01-2013, 04:13 PM   #3
OH Osthaus
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,157 Times in 3,260 Posts

less adventurous here

If is was dreaming

My setters and I go to meet the Woodcock as they set off from the maritimes, migrate with them picking up Grouse in the north and adding quail after getting south of of the frost line.

i read about the old timers like Dr. Norris over a hundred years ago traveling with their sport

of course - we all imagine or selves as the sport, not the pullman attendent or sharecropper
Unread 03-01-2013, 04:40 PM   #4
BRDHNTR
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 2,735 Times in 1,252 Posts

I'd be hunting grouse and woodcock with my grandfather and dad over a brace of english setters in New Hampshire.
allen newell is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-01-2013, 04:42 PM   #5
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,794 Times in 3,967 Posts

i take my 8 and 10 gas and go hunt the mississippi flyway in about 1890 s time period... charlie
charlie cleveland is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-01-2013, 04:44 PM   #6
C.O.B.
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanked 6,320 Times in 2,082 Posts

Harold that house in Channing is open to you anytime during bird season and beyond
Rich Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-02-2013, 07:47 AM   #7
Harold Pickens
PGCA Member

Member Info

How about starting out on the plains of Montana chasing huns and sharptails in September and cotinuing on thru the Dakotas. By early Oct, I would be in Minnesota hunting grouse and woodcock, I,d stop at Grand Rapids, Min. for the National Grouse and Woodcock Hunt, I've been a guide there before and have b.een the chairman of the Upper Ohio Valley Chapter for 28 years.
By mid Oct, I'd be in the UP and stay there until the season ended or the weather ran me out. I would then need a couple weeks of R and R, to rest the dogs of course. In Jan., Kansas for ringnecks and quail would be the order.
The next year, I might start out in Nova Scotia, then drop down into maine and over to Hew Hampshire and Vermont, or one could stay in Montana and hunt the plains and then to the mountains for ruffs and blue grouse.
As you can see, I've thought about this before. I am going to need at least one more dog.
What guns would I take, well thats a whole new thread!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Harold Lee Pickens For Your Post:
Unread 03-02-2013, 08:33 AM   #8
Double Lab
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 6,277 Times in 2,428 Posts

Harold;
Have guns, dogs, will travel. That's exactly what I've always dreamed about doing once I leave the world of the working man and retire. To me it would be the grand slam of bird hunting. I'd like to bag a different species of bird with a different Parker (or Fox) just for the fun of it.
Daryl Corona is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-02-2013, 09:03 AM   #9
Harold Pickens
PGCA Member

Member Info

Daryl, I hope to be able to do this within a couple of years. I have been an optometrist for 30 years now. I will be 59 in April, and probably need to work a couple more years.
Thats a good looking lab in your Avatar. Although I am a setter man, a good lab is hard to beat especially on pheasants. My best friend had a lab, and we routinely hunted it with my setters on grouse and woodcock. It figured out real quick that when the beeper collar went off, ther was a bird in front of my dogs. On running and or crippled birds, especially pheasants, it excelled. Unfortunately, Cowboy has passed.
Unread 03-02-2013, 12:54 PM   #10
Labowner
PGCA Member

Member Info

Harold I will drive, have a suburban so all will be comfortable. I just bought a 32' tag along camper to hunt the North Maine woods as I am usually 2 hrs. from a gas pump when bird hunting Maine...little set back on camper had it two months...never used it and tree came down and totaled it...good thing is had insurance on it. New Brunswick has the highest bird numbers I ever seen the last few years and all the ground you could ever imgine to hunt.
Only seven months till Woodcock season in NB.