Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Parker Hammer Guns

Notices

Finally! A Parker underlever, hammer action
Unread 01-19-2011, 08:30 PM   #1
Chuck Schmidt
Forum Associate

Member Info

Default Finally! A Parker underlever, hammer action

schmidtce@aol.com
I have been collecting and restoring (amature stuff) unnoteworthy old hammer double shotguns for a few years, and finally picked up a Parker underlever hammer (10 gauge) that I could afford. This one is in fair condition: bores OK, stock OK but cracked and repaired, fingerprint mostly worn away on the Damacus barrels, one firing pin broken and one hammer has the top broke off (I have the part). The S/N is A1525, Patented No. 2133 (hard to read), the receiver is stamped F.9.R. and the barrels are stamped 'OT'. The locks are backlocks without the Parker logo; the 'Parker Bros. Maker' logo is on the barrels. Very plain shotgun, which is just fine with me. Grade 'O' based on the PGCA site photos (except those guns have pistol grip stocks and this one does not). The stock is stright, the forestock is pinned not latched, checkering is good, and the butt stock is steel. Before I launch into my ususal cleaning and repairs, I wanted to check with you Parker experts- should I leave this one 'as is' or does it matter? I paid $400 for the shotgun and I don't know what it's worth in the shape that it is in. For photos, please check the listing on the gunbroker site, item #206677640. My guess is that since none of you Parker guys bid on it, it's worth about $400. Thanks much for your input. I appreciate it. Chuck Schmidt
Chuck Schmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-20-2011, 07:12 AM   #2
Big Friend Ten (BFT)
PGCA Lifetime Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,933 Times in 795 Posts

Hi Chuck,

Welcome aboard to 10 Gauge Parkers! I looked at that early back action Parker but did not desire to spend the money to restore it. If you can clean up the metal without damaging it and restore the wood you will have a gun to be proud of.

Considering the age I would definately have the barrel thickness checked and the barrels closely examined for pitting or other faults. If everything checks out okay I would limit the pressure of any smokeless loads.

Shoot well and safe,
Mark
Mark Ouellette is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-20-2011, 12:18 PM   #3
Chuck Schmidt
Forum Associate

Member Info

Hi Mark-

Thanks for the welcome and the sound advice. I figured that every Parker guy not overly spent at Christmas time looked at the auction posting and said...'naw'. But I was wondering with the low S/N if I should only do minimum repair and cleaning because of it's age. It is a very plain and worn gun, but still cool...it's a Parker! Considering the condition of the gun and the dings near the end of the barrels, I have been contemplating cutting it down for my scatter gun collection. Where it is an old, worn gun in my long gun collection, it would be the gem of my short gun collection. I am worried, however, if I do that, will I get kicked out of PGCA or will a Parker collector come after me! If it's only worth what I paid for it ($400) I guess it doesn't matter much either way. A Parker 10 scatter gun would be an awesome sight, and look great next to the short Colt, Rem, and various other makers.

Thanks very much for your input Mark! Chuck
Unread 01-20-2011, 12:27 PM   #4
Autumn Daze
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 4,048 Times in 1,727 Posts

Chuck, Could you tell us the rib marking on that gun?
Unread 01-20-2011, 12:45 PM   #5
Chuck Schmidt
Forum Associate

Member Info

Hi Dave-

Thanks for the interest. The rib marking is:
'Parker Bros., Makers Meriden Conn Damascus Steel. Other than the stampings on the receiver and barrels reported above, that's it. 'Parker Bros.' is not stamped on the locks or anywhere else.

Question- what does the 'A' mean in the S/N? Does this mean that this gun is the 1,525th shotgun of this grade or gauge, or is it the 1,525th shotgun make by Parker Brothers?

Thanks for you interest and help Dave. Chuck
Unread 01-20-2011, 12:50 PM   #6
Bill Anderson
PGCA Member

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Schmidt View Post
schmidtce@aol.com
I have been collecting and restoring (amature stuff) unnoteworthy old hammer double shotguns for a few years, and finally picked up a Parker underlever hammer (10 gauge) that I could afford. This one is in fair condition: bores OK, stock OK but cracked and repaired, fingerprint mostly worn away on the Damacus barrels, one firing pin broken and one hammer has the top broke off (I have the part). The S/N is A1525, Patented No. 2133 (hard to read), the receiver is stamped F.9.R. and the barrels are stamped 'OT'. The locks are backlocks without the Parker logo; the 'Parker Bros. Maker' logo is on the barrels. Very plain shotgun, which is just fine with me. Grade 'O' based on the PGCA site photos (except those guns have pistol grip stocks and this one does not). The stock is stright, the forestock is pinned not latched, checkering is good, and the butt stock is steel. Before I launch into my ususal cleaning and repairs, I wanted to check with you Parker experts- should I leave this one 'as is' or does it matter? I paid $400 for the shotgun and I don't know what it's worth in the shape that it is in. For photos, please check the listing on the gunbroker site, item #206677640. My guess is that since none of you Parker guys bid on it, it's worth about $400. Thanks much for your input. I appreciate it. Chuck Schmidt
Chuck,

You have a lot more courage than I do to take on a fix-it project like this. I wouldn't know where to start. If I was into Parker lifters I would probably buy something like this: http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=210626385 and then complain about paying for it. I don't think you over paid for the one you bought. Good luck with your project!

Bill
Bill Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-20-2011, 12:54 PM   #7
George Lander
Forum Associate

Member Info

Chuck: Don't cut the barrels down. Have the dents taken out, clean it properly & put it in your long gun rack. JMHO

George
George Lander is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-20-2011, 01:21 PM   #8
Chuck Schmidt
Forum Associate

Member Info

Greetings Bill!

Thanks for your input. I looked up the older Parker on auction you suggested- man is that nice. I don't typically look at anything other than 'fix-it' guns, and as it is, I live on the ragged edge of domestic civility on these issues. My joy comes from taking the broken and incomplete antique guns, and piecing together something that is functional, restored to the best of my ability, but not necessarily restoring to value (certainly not valuable in the sense of an original, collectable gun). I get guns at the bottom of their value, ready to be parted-out, and make something that at least I appreciate.

The gun you directed me to is very similar to mine, even some of the details, but the rear stock on mine is straight and that one (like those on the PGCA web site technical section) is a pistol grip, it has the forward lock plates stamped with 'Parker Brothers', a short undertang also stamped with the S/N, but much the same character including the old style forestock with the pin versus the latch. How is it that a gun with a lower S/N than mine (the one on auction is around 1,300) has what appears to me to be more 'modern' features? Or did they carry design features with gauge, like for example the straight stock with 10 gauge?

When I was younger and had more ambition for sanding and varnishing, my primary hobby was restoring old wooden boats (runabouts and cruisers mostly), making them correct and functional. Again my mode of operation was to find basket-case boats (called 'gray ghosts' in that group of afflicted middle-age men) and do all the work myself. What I learned was that the boat makers used what worked, often had no real plan of manufacturing, and used what was locally available that month in order to make production orders. Futher, they were always doing 'this and that' differently, experimenting to find what was the best way to go with products that would sell. I am beginning to suspect that this might be the case here.

Any thoughts on these topics from you guys in the know about early-made Parker shotguns would help. You guys are the repository for information and know-how! The ower of AuctioArms site talked me through hot-dip bluing... as and example. (With the old wood boats, I had to go to the boat bone yards and find the guy working in the back shop!) Thanks for your input. Chuck
Unread 01-20-2011, 02:05 PM   #9
Chuck Schmidt
Forum Associate

Member Info

Hi George-
Thanks for the message. That's what my insticts are telling me. But why? Are there only a few of these around of this vintage, gauge, grade, and style, or is it just wrong to cut down a Parker in any condition? I don't want to wreck something that someone else may really want down the road. This isn't really about an investment or 'big score' or anything like that for me. But I do really like hammer action scatter guns- all makes, models and gauges. Thanks! Chuck
Unread 01-20-2011, 03:21 PM   #10
Big Friend Ten (BFT)
PGCA Lifetime Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,933 Times in 795 Posts

Chuck,

Yes, there are few of these remaining. Every time someone cuts off barrels or parts out a Parker (Smith, Fox, LeFever...) there is one less. You are the legal owner of the gun and can cut the barrels or cut the action in half with a cutting torch if you desire. Most of us think that we are but custodians of these fine shotguns which will someday be passed or sold to someone else in hopefully as good or better condition than when we bought them. Parkers are a part of our American heritage. Defacing a Parker or other fine American double would be like (although illegal) cutting off a piece of the Liberty Bell.

Please respect your Parker. It is 140 years old!

Most respectfully to you,
Mark
Mark Ouellette is offline   Reply With Quote