Notices

Close enuff to Friday
Unread 08-27-2019, 02:04 AM   #1
Richard Flanders
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 5,538 Times in 1,717 Posts

Default Close enuff to Friday

I know all the talk is about upcoming bird hunts but I just had a couple of good days pike fishing on a river on the north side of the Yukon east of the Yukon River Bridge with a neighbor. Fishing was slow but I managed about 25-30 pike of ~7# - 25# and mostly 15#-20#. I used a ~50yr old Shakespeare Wonderod and a similar vintage and near mint Mitchell 300 and both performed flawlessly and as expected. Nothing beats an old Wonderod for sexy action. I had that thing bent into a severe "U" nearly every fish and it held up just fine. You can have all those broomstick-stiff graphite rods.... it's Wonderods for me! They make you a better fisherman because you can't just horse the big ones in. I also caught a nice Sheefish, a type of whitefish that is sometimes referred to as "freshwater tarpon." We used all sorts of lures - spinners, Daredevils, Red eye Wigglers, Silver Spoons, and some more modern rubber lures meant for Lord knows what! Anything with a Mr. Twister type tail was hammered, and they hit viciously on most any top water lure, such as this huge wooden gray rat lure - they savaged that thing early this morning but had trouble hooking up on the single hook Ron replaced the treble hook with... little wonder, I know. He also had this absurd looking rubber top water lure that looked like a bat and had "Crazy Crawler" like wings. They smashed that thing! I'd stop to watch Ron use it just for the entertainment factor. It was really fun to fish with, despite the similar hooking up issue. The little rainbow trout lure was magic; I caught 6 nice pike with it this morning before we headed downriver to the bridge and none of them mangled it. If I go with him again I'm taking a few largish Jitter Bugs. The real winner was the mangled eel shown here; that was the best by far. At one point I caught 6 pike in 6 consecutive casts while no one else around me hooked anything. Finally the one pike I actually landed(shown) - we unhooked all of them in the water and let them go - which got the lure so far in we did him in just getting it out, mangled it(+a couple of fingers). This was nowhere near my biggest pike. I still kept on using it and it still worked(!) and in the end snipped the tail off in two pcs and hooked them onto Silver Spoons, which also worked very well. I've not seen a fish yet, from Michigan farm pond sunfish to 25# Alaskan pike, that can resist anything with a Mr. Twister type tail; they just can't. The orange/yellow baby burbot lure was a winner also and must have weighed 8oz. You needed a stiff rod just to toss it, but those big pike loved it. What a hoot! It was like tossing a baseball sized rock out when it hit. The fish didn't care; they were hungry and the splash was likely more of a dinner bell than an alarm. This was my first time in a boat on the Yukon and I can tell you it's one big river that you can't let your guard down on for a minute. There are hidden sand bars and logs that you can't see until you hit them. We had no issues though and a good time was had by all. I'll add that many years ago two friends and I lined our three planes up side by side and flew under the Yukon bridge in the last picture, each taking a bay. THAT was a hoot also. I love this place!
Richard Flanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-27-2019, 03:03 AM   #2
CHE
PGCA Member

Member Info

Rich, when did you steal my outfit? I have the exact rig that I have been using since 1952.
the 300 is a French made one with a serial# on it, and I love it. I tried other rigs over the years but still go back to old wondered and 300.
tom leshinsky is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tom leshinsky For Your Post:
Unread 08-27-2019, 11:56 AM   #3
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,039 Times in 12,321 Posts

I too, have a few French Mitchell 300's and have always liked them since the early '60's

Way better than the Garcia Mitchells.

George King, "That's Ruff", 2010 - a timeless classic.
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-27-2019, 01:43 PM   #4
Richard Flanders
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 5,538 Times in 1,717 Posts

I learned how to fish in the middle 50's using my grandfather's 300 on a sweet Orvis bamboo spinning rod; nothing like starting out with the Rolls Royce of kits! I've been a Mitchell guy ever since. Strangely enough, this particular 300 is a Garcia Mitchell made in France; not sure of the vintage. Runs very well, but the drag makes some chattering racket when a 25# pike is running off. Have to take the spool apart and look into that. I still have the first 300 I bought for $16 in 1966 and it still runs like new. I may have replaced the bail spring once, but they're readily available on ebay for pennies so I have spares for 300's and 308's. No one has ever really topped the Mitchells for reliability. The newer reels have smoother running bearings, but that's about the limit of their superiority.
Richard Flanders is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Richard Flanders For Your Post:
Unread 08-27-2019, 01:45 PM   #5
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,039 Times in 12,321 Posts

Oh the dreaded Mitchell bail spring!

George King, "That's Ruff", 2010 - a timeless classic.
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote