Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

USPS - back to pony express days!
Unread 06-02-2020, 09:25 AM   #1
Keavin Nelson
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 1,242 Times in 445 Posts

Default USPS - back to pony express days!

Not sure if anyone else is experiencing this, but the USPS certainly isn't what it was, snow, rain sleet or shine, ok, but not with the virus.
Recently had a gun parcel, shipped 3 day priority, take 8 days to reach it destination. This is over a drive time distance between origin/destination of about 2 1/2 Hr.!
Unread 06-02-2020, 09:36 AM   #2
Setter Man
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,636 Times in 634 Posts

I am friends with a fellow who works in the local PO and he has told me that nationally a lot of postal employees have been hit by Covid and there is a substantial backlog of mail they are trying to process and get out to be delivered.
Jay Gardner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-02-2020, 09:46 AM   #3
Joe from MO
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,121 Times in 422 Posts

It's not just USPS.... In the last few years, I have had 2 long guns completely broken in half by UPS. One was inbound to me, the other I had shipped. One of them being a somewhat rare Ruger No1 in 6.5x55 Swede that had great wood.

Here are some pics, the third one made me

Ruger really took care of me, completely restocked the rifle, test fired it, etc. The new wood is not quite as nice as the original, but they didn't do me wrong either. The forearm is actually nice, but but stock has less color.

Rifle still shoots sub moa with my handloads.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg No1_original_lt.jpg (524.8 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg No1_original_rt.jpg (537.0 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg No1_UPS.jpg (476.5 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg No1_post_restock_lt.jpg (427.5 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg No1_post_restock_rt.jpg (426.4 KB, 5 views)
Unread 06-02-2020, 09:49 AM   #4
Cold Spring
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 6,308 Times in 1,217 Posts

I can understand some delays nowadays but to compound things the USPS isn't scanning Priority Mail envelopes - at least not those that go through Phila - and the tracking shows a vague statement: "your item is on its way". No scans at intermediate stops as in the past. Just two weeks ago my payment and FFL copy for a SxS took 9 days to arrive in So Cal. That was with 3 day Priority mail. And the seller was about to sell the gun to the next highest bidder because he thought my envelope went astray to a far away galaxy and wouldn't be located for many additional days. Icing on the cake on the 9th day was the tracking showed "we attempted to deliver at 9:30 (am) but couldn't access the location", but the seller's agent said they were open and in the office starting at 7:30 and no post office employee came by. Nice.
Frank Srebro is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Frank Srebro For Your Post:
Unread 06-02-2020, 10:06 AM   #5
Pa SxS
Research Chairman
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 4,960 Times in 1,418 Posts

Of course it's not a long gun but I ordered a MEC super sizer last Friday. According to USPS tracking it was sent priority mail. Arrived at the USPS distribution center in Wisconsin on Saturday, arrived at the local distribution center in Harrisburg on Monday and is out for delivery today. We'll see.
Chuck Bishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-02-2020, 10:50 AM   #6
Mills
PGCA Lifetime Member
Since 3rd Grade

Member Info

Thanked 12,332 Times in 4,418 Posts

More sellers I deal with now offer a plastic hard case for a little extra to keep the guns safe in shipping. A good investment.

The virus has thrown off shipping for sure. I have a few things I need to send off for work, but am holding off until things get back to normal, assuming that happens in the foreseeable future
Mills Morrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-02-2020, 10:53 AM   #7
Joe from MO
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,121 Times in 422 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mills Morrison View Post
More sellers I deal with now offer a plastic hard case for a little extra to keep the guns safe in shipping. A good investment.

The virus has thrown off shipping for sure. I have a few things I need to send off for work, but am holding off until things get back to normal, assuming that happens in the foreseeable future
I will never ship another long gun without a hard case.... Unless it's a break down gun that can ship in a much shorter box, with LOTS of buble wrap and double boxed. It's not work risking the breakage of a irreplaceable firearm.

It just seems like service levels across the board for delivery services are not what they used to be.
Unread 06-02-2020, 10:56 AM   #8
Craig Budgeon
PGCA Member

Member Info

Don't tell me about the USPS being overwhelmed due to the Hruhan virus. In December 2019 I purchased a Parker paper collectible from a friend living less than 100 miles away. I notified him I sent a check first class on the next day. After 8 days he called me and told me he had not received my check yet. I sent him another check by certified mail ($3+) and told him to cash the first check and shred the second if it ever arrives. After 12 days both checks arrived in the same delivery. This is not the only occurrence but one of many.
Craig Budgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-02-2020, 10:57 AM   #9
Mills
PGCA Lifetime Member
Since 3rd Grade

Member Info

Thanked 12,332 Times in 4,418 Posts

Shotguns should always be broken down no matter what. With rifles, you just have to pack and pack and then hope.
Mills Morrison is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mills Morrison For Your Post:
Unread 06-02-2020, 01:16 PM   #10
B. Dudley
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 17,518 Times in 4,619 Posts

If that photo of the broken ruger in the box was taken after it was opened, and if that packing material is all that was in the box, then that gun was not packed properly and should have been broken, as it was.

The fact is that many simply do not know how to pack guns. Many methods are just plain laughable. Most issues with damage can be avoided by packing well with the proper materials.
Visit Brian Dudley's homepage!