Unread 05-13-2020, 04:09 PM   #11
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,040 Times in 12,321 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by edgarspencer View Post
Mmm, hmmm. How's that book "My 1001 Excuses" coming along?
The first installment will be in the fall issue of Parker Pages titled “How Do I Miss Thee.... Let Me Count The Ways”

George King, "That's Ruff", 2010 - a timeless classic.
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dean Romig For Your Post:
Unread 05-14-2020, 02:08 PM   #12
Gerald McPherson
PGCA Member

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Flanders View Post
It's an Atlas thrower Gerald. I would highly recommend it. It throws a clay as far as any professional setup and breaks down to fit inside the little tote beside my chair here. I power it with a smallish garden tractor battery that I keep on a solar panel at home. It's a great setup for shooting alone and is easy to get into the plane. There's a foot pedal switch that allows you to get pretty far off to the side if you wish. It doesn't have a wobble function but I'm just trying to get my mount clean and consistent so don't care about that so much. I think Do-All makes one that might have that. I really like this one.
I have a wheely bird 2 that has remote control that I really like. It also has a pedal but I have never used it. I adjusted it down because it threw them to fast and far. I set it up in the frond yard and walk around in the back yard and shoot from many different spots. Neighbor said it sounds like freedom. Mine has wheels and a handle.
Gerald McPherson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-14-2020, 02:53 PM   #13
Richard Flanders
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 5,538 Times in 1,717 Posts

Just looked them up. Improved version explains why the originals without wheels like mine were being sold on sale at Sams Club for $279! So, you have the improved version and with wheels, which wouldn't work for me. I like the steel bracket on top of the magazine. I'm always waiting to open my tote and find the plastic bracket broken, which will surely happen at some point as it is very flexible and fragile. I might just get that metal bracket before it happens. Looks like others do the same as I did and not install the plastic hoop guard. Does yours have a wireless remote trigger of some kind? That would be nice. On the ridge I had a 10-15mph wind at my back so the clays were really screaming out there a looong ways and sailing on the wind! I tried a few followup shots on missed birds and actually broke a few out at well over 50yds. The VH12 I took out is an interesting set and seems likely a special order. It has 26" and 30" bbls, both with .013"/.035" chokes and their own forend, a 13-3/4" LOP, 3.5"DAH and BSS engraved in the stock shield. The wood is really nice too, a bit nicer than most V grades. S/N is 220878 so is a 1927 gun. Condition is much better than any V grade I've ever owned for sure. It's clearly not an off the shelf gun and if it fits the shooter, will deal with everything from woodcock to geese.
Richard Flanders is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Richard Flanders For Your Post:
Unread 05-15-2020, 02:21 PM   #14
Gerald McPherson
PGCA Member

Member Info

Yes Richard the remote is wireless. I taped a string to it and hang it around my neck. It works really well. It also has a relay that one can set as long as needed. I have mine set at about 5 seconds. It stays put well also. Does't move at all when fired. When I first set it up I walked about 35 yards to one side and the clays came by so fast I thought I was going blind. I live on a high ridge with a lot of wind which also plays with the targets. That adds fun. It will throw about 300 feet or more depending which way the wind blows. I shoot a DH 12 ga. choked about skeet and modified.1903 damascus gun 28 inch. I shoot it best but I also shoot a GH 30 inch 12 ga very tight chokes. The wheely bird setup at home has improved my shooting I think because I pay more attention especially how I miss. Beats driving to the gun club, saves time and money. My friends enjoy it also. Our turkey season ends today and I am not able to do it anymore. This is my last year i'm sure. I will continue to shoot doves as long as I can get my Grandson to carry my stuff. I don't think he will quit. He thinks he will inherit the Parkers when I croak. So for now I will do my hunting literally around the house. Artificial birds. The Lord is Good isn't He.
Unread 05-15-2020, 02:29 PM   #15
Richard Flanders
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Oh, that wireless function with a decent delay would be a game changer for me also. The foot pedal works ok, but it throws your foot positioning off and the delay is pretty short so you have to get that foot back into position quickly. The biggest reason I'm doing this is to get my left hand mount smooth and consistent so every small detail counts. Just imagine if they came up with a voice command for it....
Unread 05-15-2020, 03:54 PM   #16
Jeff K.
PGCA Lifetime

Admin

Member Info

Thanked 2,789 Times in 651 Posts

Richard,
Check out Clay Delay voice command. I really like mine. It is on its second machine.
Jeff Kuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-15-2020, 07:03 PM   #17
Gerald McPherson
PGCA Member

Member Info

The wheely bird remote is very simple just press one button and wait. I like to mount the gun when I see the target, mounting the gun and working the safety off before the shot and back on after the shot. That is how I always did while hunting. I know what you are talking about feet position. It make a big difference for me. The remote is very small about the size of a Zippo lighter with about a 2 inch antenna. I move about among fruit trees, grape vines and around a large white oak tree often out of sight of the trap.
The Following User Says Thank You to Gerald McPherson For Your Post:
Unread 05-16-2020, 09:51 PM   #18
Hammer Gun
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 7,668 Times in 1,642 Posts

Richard that is truly Gods country where you are, enjoy every minute of it, love the photos, Gary
Gary Carmichael Sr is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Gary Carmichael Sr For Your Post:
Unread 05-21-2020, 11:10 AM   #19
Richard Flanders
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Did a hike up a creek on the 17th that is in the same area as my ptarmigan lake, just downstream a ways. Gorgeous day and nice country. I made it up the creek to where the valley narrowed. Nice easy walking. Lots of caribou tracks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Virginia Cr strip pan3 may 17 2020 mail.jpg (519.7 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg Virginia Cr pan1 may 17 2020 mail.jpg (532.2 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg Virginia Cr hike may 17 2020 mail.jpg (552.9 KB, 6 views)
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Richard Flanders For Your Post:
Unread 05-21-2020, 05:07 PM   #20
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,787 Times in 3,967 Posts

I never get tired of looking at these pictures....Richard is a blessed man....charlie
charlie cleveland is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to charlie cleveland For Your Post: