Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

Unread 03-25-2020, 02:06 AM   #11
6pt-Sika
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 7,527 Times in 3,401 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Butler View Post
Take a deep breath and wait two weeks.

I do not know the vast majority of our members who post, but have learned so much over the past years from your advice and comments. I value your lives even though we have never met. Whatever your opinions, I fear that we will loose many of our posting and personal friends.

I hope very much that that I am wrong. April 15th will tell some truth.

Patrick
I suspect if this thing is even half of what they say it is it’ll take a bit longer then 4/15/20 probably more like 8/15/20 .
Unread 03-25-2020, 02:11 AM   #12
6pt-Sika
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 7,527 Times in 3,401 Posts

I’m not so much worried about myself . But rather my almost 85 year old father who stays home but has therapists that visit several times a week . And I’m more worried about my wife , daughter , grandson and 87 year old mother in law in the Philippines . The state of health care there is a bit less than here , however I’m not sure that matters since they say they have no cure etc if this crap grabs you in a bad way .
Unread 03-25-2020, 08:56 AM   #13
Mills
PGCA Lifetime Member
Since 3rd Grade

Member Info

Thanked 12,332 Times in 4,418 Posts

Some hope here. This guy David Katz suggests the vulnerable remain quarantined, while those not at risk go back to some level of normalcy.

https://riverdalepress.com/stories/s...omo-yale,71525
Mills Morrison is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mills Morrison For Your Post:
Unread 03-25-2020, 09:48 AM   #14
GH-16
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,304 Times in 445 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Lester View Post
I am pretty sure if everyone keeps watching the news, reading social media and watching videos about the Wuhan flu there will be a major increase in mental health issues especially depression, drug use, alcoholism and suicide. Turn it off, wash your hands, avoid touching your face and keep your distance from people you don't know. I bet if you could see the daily stats of the seasonal flu, infections and death you would see it is outpacing the new virus by a wide margin. Living in fear is no way to live and we all have a choice to do that or not.
This virus is quite different from the seasonal flu strain in many ways. First off it is a brand new virus to the world & due to it being new no human on earth has any immunity to it. Where as the flu has been around in one strain or another forever and we all have some built up immunity for it, plus we have preventative vaccines along with certain drugs to deal with it. Yes the flu is a major killer around the world every year, but it doesn't overwhelm our health care systems from a sudden out break of it.

C-19 on the other hand is extremely contagious and due to no one having an immunity for it or any medications to deal with it at this time, it can & is spreading like wildfire through the global population and has the potential of totally overwhelming our hospitals, supplies, equipment & staffing if we don't try to keep it in check on a slow roll basis.

C-19 is going to do what it's going to do. The only thing we & the rest of the world are trying to do at this point is attempt to slow it down some. If we were to leave it unchecked it would probably far surpass the death toll of a typical seasonal flu. Take a good look at what happened & is happening in Italy & Spain. The virus hit those countries before they had a chance to prepare for it & their hospitals, equipment & supplies are totally overwhelmed and now the death toll is so high that the morgues are being overwhelmed as well.

Everyone needs to deal with this on their own basis in an attempt to maintain some form of personal balance, but IMO it's a good thing to be as informed about it as you can be, so you have the information to use as a tool to help achieve that balance point.
Paul Ehlers is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Paul Ehlers For Your Post:
Unread 03-25-2020, 09:51 AM   #15
Timothy Salgado
PGCA Member

Member Info

I worry about everyone as far as this virus is concerned, particularly my 93year old mother-in-law who's in the county nursing home , they've restricted visitors but recently reported that a food worker has the virus. At work we've been put on a staggered schedule and I hear more restrictions are on the horizon. My oldest son is a biologist in San Francisco who works for a biotech company, they produce products that support vaccine development they've upped production since this thing started. We were going to go visit him this June but that's not going to happen now. We've prepared as much as possible at home and will wait for this to pass as best we can. I've been going through all my shooting gear and guns and doing an inventory, as suggested in another thread, and maintenance.

Craig, my daughter in law is from the Phillipines and I just asked her yesterday at dinner how her family is doing over there, she said her mother is at the farm that's kind of isolated and her siblings are in town practicing social distancing.

Take care everyone,
Tim
Timothy Salgado is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-25-2020, 10:00 AM   #16
Mills
PGCA Lifetime Member
Since 3rd Grade

Member Info

Thanked 12,332 Times in 4,418 Posts

Here is a good source of information without the fear-mongering of the major news networks.

http://www.enkiops.org/blog/2020/03/...e5TWY0HOR843zo
Mills Morrison is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mills Morrison For Your Post: