Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

Unread 03-15-2010, 06:37 PM   #11
MarketHunter
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 4,020 Times in 1,158 Posts

The grouse guys would say I'm wrong of course, but eastern grouse hunters are a small fraternity. Waterfowling is nationwide, worldwide even, he's more well known by far than any vintage sporting writer then US ever produced. Give me one you think might be more beloved and more well known. Name a gun that you think is more famous, that more people have heard of. I'm interested in the opinions everybody, even the ones of wanna be cowboys from California.

DLH
I was as virtuously given as a gentleman need to be; virtuous enough; swore little; diced not above seven times a week; went to a bawdy-house once in a quarter--of an hour; paid money that I borrowed, three of four times; lived well and in good compass: and now I live out of all order, out of all compass. Falstaff - Henry IV
Destry L. Hoffard is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Destry L. Hoffard For Your Post:
Unread 03-15-2010, 07:29 PM   #12
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,040 Times in 12,321 Posts

I'm not taking sides Destry but I think you're close. However, the upland bird shooting fraternity is a lot bigger than you think, but I don't think we could produce a more revered or beloved writer/hero than Nash Buckingham but certainly on equal ground would be Sheldon, Spiller, Evans, Grinell, Ford, and probably a few more I haven't named but it doesn't make any sense to me to play "My Shooting Icon Can Beat Up Your Shooting Icon".

Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dean Romig For Your Post:
Bo woop
Unread 03-15-2010, 07:32 PM   #13
terc
PGCA Member

Member Info

Default Bo woop

Destry, I am PA grouse hunter. I've never shot at a goose or duck in my life.
I have all of GBE's ,Spiller's, Foster's,....books. But I have to agree with you. I don't think any of there books compare to Nash Buckingham's writing. Even though I never hunted water foul, I feel like I have. Nash and Bo-woop have ment alot to me.
Dave
Dave Tercek is offline   Reply With Quote
Famous Guns
Unread 03-15-2010, 07:35 PM   #14
Greg Miller CTGunLaw
PGCA Member

Member Info

Default Famous Guns

I would guess that more people know of TR's "Big Medicine" Winchester than of Bo Whoop, which had been all but forgotten outside of Fox circles.

And, if you went to your local gun show and asked a hundred people what was more valuable, Nash's BoWhoop or Colt Peacemaker No 1, I would guess most would take the original prototype for the Peacemaker, which I had in my possession for a very brief while when it was being auctioned by Christies back in the 1980s.

And, then there is the modified Winchester lever action that John Wayne used to swing around to load in the movies. An awful lot of people would recognize and want that gun.

Bo Whoop is an important part of Americana, but it seems to me most likely that a couple of addicted Fox owners fulfilled a dream by buying it at any price. May the Buyer enjoy it in good health. Should be good for the Fox Collectors to have the "legitimacy" of a Fox selling for real money.
Gregory Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Visit Gregory Miller's homepage!
Unread 03-15-2010, 07:41 PM   #15
Bruce Day
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 15,605 Times in 2,666 Posts

I liked Corey Ford and the Lower Forty. He struck a responsive chord with me that Nash Buckingham never did. But then I am not a southerner, growing up as I did in Nebraska, the Dakotas and the central coast ranch country of California, and I can understand that if one grew up in the south and was primarily a waterfowler, then Buckingham would be the end-all. The dialect was difficult for me and the southern caste system of the era was strange.

But that is one man's opinion. My point is that everybody has their own opinions about what they like in authors.

And I'm happy for the Fox collectors. Great guns and I'm happy to hear that the long lost iconic Fox gun is out and can be shown to those who have long awaited its emergence. We had a nice Fox that we showed around at Pheasant Fest when we did that seminar of using American doubles for upland game hunting, along with Smiths, Winchesters and others. Maybe some day we can put together a classic American doubles competition instead of just Parkers and Smiths. Wouldn't that be fun.

Last edited by Bruce Day; 03-15-2010 at 07:51 PM..
Bruce Day is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bruce Day For Your Post:
Unread 03-15-2010, 08:07 PM   #16
Autumn Daze
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 4,047 Times in 1,727 Posts

We shoot with a bunch of Fox guys at Addieville and Hidden Hollow every year.Those boys can shoot too!
Unread 03-15-2010, 08:12 PM   #17
Austin W Hogan
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Default Julia Auction

I have just returned. I have attached my notes on the Super Fox sale. The opening bid was 50K and quickly went to 85K There were 8 bidders on the phone when the lot was called. There were 4 bidders remaining at 110 K and at least one if not two floor bidders got in around 145 K Four or perhaps 3 were still active at the end. The sale was close to gavel three times when a bidder came back in. Two twelve ga (non super) XE's followed for 4k and 6k. The Czar gun brought about 5 or 6 times its wood and iron value; this Super Fox brought less dollars but probably closer to 15 times its wood and iron value.

The AHE Parker lot 1180 opened at 15K and brought 25K; the AA lot 1181 opened at 8k and brought 19k. The 8 ga PH brought 12500; and most of the rest of the Parkers brought close to or more than the low appraisal.

The LC specialty 410 opened at 17500 and brought 32500.

Some people collect guns; some people collect marks on guns; some people collect stories about guns. When gun, marks, and stories coincide, three times as many collectors want the gun.

Best, Austin
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SUPER FOX AUCTION web.jpg (26.2 KB, 328 views)
Austin W Hogan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Austin W Hogan For Your Post:
Unread 03-15-2010, 08:21 PM   #18
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

That picture Austin, with your notes will be a coveted piece of Americana one day.

Thanks for the update.
The Following User Says Thank You to Dean Romig For Your Post:
Unread 03-15-2010, 08:46 PM   #19
Autumn Daze
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 4,047 Times in 1,727 Posts

Got that right Dean...In fact I think it's a coveted piece of Americana right now...
Unread 03-15-2010, 08:53 PM   #20
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

I've gotta say though, I don't quite understand the 501C notation