Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Hunting with Parkers

Notices

it was hunting with a shovel named parker
Unread 03-30-2020, 09:15 PM   #1
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,787 Times in 3,967 Posts

Default it was hunting with a shovel named parker

today started out as usal a late breakfast then go work on the lawn mower to put the new battery i just had bought yesterday at wally world...put the battery on then hit the starter and the starter only whizzes yes the starter drive had quit...the starter was dragging so i went to town or i should say my daughter susan and i went to town and bought the starter 100 bucks...back to the house my wife says the other daughter had called they want to go metal detecting...so i go get the side by side fill it up with gas and head for i first digging site..it is were my dad was born and old log cabin site...we got a few good hits but was just old pieces of metal and nails a coupla pop tops...we then moved our digging site to my grand pa s home place...we got started and found 3 lincholn pennies then a roosevelt dime..next was 2 33-30 brass cases then a flashlight that looked like a zippo lighter...odd...next found a the brass part of a shotgun paper hull shell when i cleaned it up it said ted williams on it...it took a moment to remember ted...then we found a most unusal piece of metal dont know what it was for..we took a short break then started searching again the little detector was really singing yep we hit pay dirt ...at the first shovel of dirt nothing the little detector said it was still in the hole...next shovel brings up a metal detectors dream 6 silver dollars...my daughter sherrie was excited and so was i till the let down...she cleaned at one of the silver dollars then another she looks up and said what are these things...those silver dollars turned fast into lead dollars.....i looked at them lead dollars and instantly i knew what these lead dollars were...when i was just a boy of about 10 years my uncle wayne who was 10 years old also showed me how to make these lead dollars...back then fruit jar or canning lids were made of lead with a glass lid inside of it...we would take a tin can put the lead lid in it with the glass removed it would melt down quickly then we would pour it into a tin snuff can top a 10 cent size top...when it cooled it would come out of the top and you had your self a lead dollar to use for pitching dollars at a hole in the ground...called pitching washers kinda like pitching horse shoes... me and my uncle might have made those lead dollars or it could have been some other person who made them..one things for sure we had found some ones dollars where they had played the last game 60 to what ever years ago....was a mighty fine day of hunting with a parker...charlie
charlie cleveland is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-01-2020, 01:56 PM   #2
Richard Flanders
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 5,538 Times in 1,717 Posts

Sounds like a good time Charlie. I'm sure the Lincoln pennies and the dime made it more than worth the effort. This is what you find when you really go to the right place. This was all found with a metal detector in one small hole on the edge of a small river at some unknown location on an island somewhere. That lady sure scored that day!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Gold nuggets detected YouTube 2019.jpg (194.0 KB, 6 views)
Richard Flanders is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Richard Flanders For Your Post:
Unread 04-01-2020, 09:52 PM   #3
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,787 Times in 3,967 Posts

boy this lady sure made a good find...you could buy a nice parker with her find...charlie
charlie cleveland is offline   Reply With Quote