Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

"Barrels ring true?"
Unread 03-08-2014, 02:24 PM   #1
Paul Straughn
Forum Associate

Member Info

Default "Barrels ring true?"

How is the term "barrels ring true" defined? And how does one '"ring" a barrel to determine if it's true? I know this technique is used to check the condition of a gun's barrels, rib, etc.

Please pardon my ignorance. I'm new to fine double guns and the PGCA, and Google searches haven't provided an answer. Many thanks for any assistance.
Paul Straughn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-08-2014, 02:56 PM   #2
Kensal Rise
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,577 Times in 926 Posts

Paul:
In "ringing" a set of barrels you are basically checking for loose ribs. If the barrels sound like a "chime" with a mostly clear tone to each tube, then chances are the ribs are well connected. If they sound "dead" or "buzzy" then there's a chance the ribs have come loose somewhere (or were never well laid to begin with). It all takes practice and experience.

To do this afield:

1) remove the barrels from the gun and the forend.
2) suspend the barrels vertically a short distance over a safe surface like a padded table.
3) use your left index finger in the "hook" of the barrel lump to suspend the barrels (if you're right handed).
4) with your opposite index finger's nail, "flick/tap/ting" one barrel along it's length. You can also use a non-marring object like a pencil.
5) if the barrel "rings" then all is good.
6) repeat for the second barrel.
7) if the sound is dead or buzzy in spots, you might have a loose rib somewhere.

But be aware that various barrels sound differently. Some are perfectly fine, but don't chime well or much at all. Also... a slightly loose/buzzy sound doesn't mean the gun is bad. It means the rib might separate some time in the future. Maybe years. Maybe never.

It also helps to remove the extractor to do this test, but dealers often frown on that. It works with it in as well... just not so well.

But always do this test with permission and over a safe surface in case the barrels drop off your finger.
John Campbell is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to John Campbell For Your Post:
Unread 03-08-2014, 03:13 PM   #3
Paul Straughn
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanks so much Kensel for your extremely thorough and informative reply! It's good to be "armed" with as much knowledge as possible when examining a potential new purchase. I appreciate your willingness to share you knowledge.
Paul Straughn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-08-2014, 04:42 PM   #4
ed good
On Vacation

Member Info

this barrel ringing business is nonsense...a visual inspection of the top rib with a magnifying glass will reveal any major flaws in the solder joints. and, keep in mind that the only purpose of the bottom rib is cosmetic.
ed good is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-09-2014, 01:52 PM   #5
J.B. Books
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 4,800 Times in 1,369 Posts

All the barrels of my guns ring, they do it constantly, I can even hear them now in the other room.
Pete Lester is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Pete Lester For Your Post:
Unread 03-09-2014, 02:44 PM   #6
10 bore
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,452 Times in 803 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Lester View Post
All the barrels of my guns ring, they do it constantly, I can even hear them now in the other room.
And I though it was just my ears ringing.
Unread 03-09-2014, 03:12 PM   #7
Jawjadawg
Forum Associate

Member Info

I'm not in the nonsense camp. A buyer can definitely feel more secure in a purchase when the barrels ring as expected. I'm not a gunsmith, but if you break your leg and need me to make a splint are you going to prefer that I use one piece of wood, or two for better stability? An LC Smith is one example where you shouldn't expect barrels to ring every time, but when they don't I'm going to take an extra hard look and then use that in my negotiations. Cosmetic or not, a gun that doesn't ring isn't going to bring the same money from most buyers who are checking.
Unread 03-09-2014, 03:59 PM   #8
Cold Spring
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 6,308 Times in 1,217 Posts

Let me share a real life experience. A long time ago I took a chance on a high grade Fox at a good price, as is-no return deal. The seller was a shop that specialized in Class 3 weapons and the contact guy there hardly knew a thing about vintage SxS guns. I tried to walk him through the ringing thing over the phone but he just didn't get it. When the gun arrived the barrels wouldn't ring and I inspected the ribs thoroughly with a magnifier, and by probing with a fine sewing straight pin and with a very small piece of .002" thick steel shim stock, and found them to be apparently tight. I fired the gun twice on a sporting course and it worked well (200 shots). I then rechecked the ribs with the same result and convinced myself the barrel was one that just wouldn't ring. Barrel bluing was worn a little too much, so l sent the barrels off to a friend, noted gent for rebluing. He called after starting the metal prep and said the lower back rib had popped loose. This friend didn't do rib relaying so he sent the barrels to his comrade who did that work. Friend called me about 2 weeks later when the barrels were returned and rang them over the phone. The sound was very loud and crisp. It turns out the rib guy just did a local re-solder at the back end of the lower rib and that got them to ring like a bell. $100. plus shipping. I had a similar thing happen one other time and it cost me about $200. for a more extensive re-solder.

I will never ever again convince myself that a vintage SxS barrel that doesn't ring is OK, no matter how tight the ribs look. I do value other opinions but this is mine for whatever it's worth.
Frank Srebro is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Frank Srebro For Your Post:
Unread 03-09-2014, 05:53 PM   #9
Autumn Daze
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 4,048 Times in 1,727 Posts

Be advised that composite barrels are more prone to have a bit duller ring to them than fluid steel barrels. That is due to their construction be of an iron and steel combination. I have a set of 16 gauge barrels with a dull ring to them and have repeatedly checked the ribs with a pointed .001 feeler and they are as solid as the day is long.
Unread 03-09-2014, 06:44 PM   #10
Richard Flanders
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 5,538 Times in 1,717 Posts

My grade 2 10ga damascus bbls produce a very slight buzz when rung, and it's not the extractor. Dale Edmonds could find no reason for it during the refinish process and reckoned they were ok. I've shot them at waterfowl (and the ****cicle - "carry enough gun," as they say) quite a lot with low pressure loads and they seems fine so far. I think you can get false positives and negatives with the ringing test, but I certainly don't write the method off in evaluating a gun. It's just one more potentially valuable tool to use in the process.
Richard Flanders is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Richard Flanders For Your Post: