Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Foto Fridays

Notices

Go To Guns- For grouse and "ITR" beforehand
Unread 09-16-2009, 05:09 PM   #11
Old and Reliable
PGCA Member

Member Info

Default Go To Guns- For grouse and "ITR" beforehand

Wow- I haven't hunted grouse here in MI for years, forget the heavy cover and the branches- I do some "boondock" sneak shooting for mallards, and the mud and muck and possible rainy weather are a factor, but I'll tip my L.L. Bean camo duck cap I bought new in 1977 to you die-hard grouse guys.

I can't really mention my favorite "go-to" shotguns on this forum, because neither is a Parker. Let me just say my favorite duck gun was built in New Haven (same State as holds Meriden in its boundaries) and my favorite pheasant gun has two barrels, two triggers and was made in Fulton NY--

But- as I have just gotten the 12 GHE project gun "in hand" and have been crunching area barn pigeons with it, I plan to use it for river and farm pond decoying ducks with the Hevi_Shot for Classic Doubles loads, and also for the "pick-up" pheasant hunts after the Tower release shoots, so by next year, that resurected GHE 12 may well be my "Numero-Uno"- Good luck to all of you hunting "Sir Ruffs" anywhere this Fall- grouse and flighting doves, and I am sure, box bird pigeons- toughest targets awing- IMO of course--

Last edited by Francis Morin; 09-16-2009 at 09:09 PM.. Reason: Delete cuss- my mistake- grouse deserve kudoes!!
Francis Morin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-16-2009, 08:05 PM   #12
Blind Dog
Forum Associate

Member Info

My most effective grouse gun is one the Market Hunter might approve of if he were inclined to indulge; a 108 year old VH #2 frame 12ga with barrels sawed off at less than 26". A few years ago, before I paid attention to anything as important as barrel wall thickness, I put a couple of #5 shot Win 1&1/2 oz mags through it to "fill out the pattern" for pheasant and blew out the left barrel at the end of the forend. I took a count and still reached five. Kirk Merrington sleeved in a couple of tubes of the same length, choked skeet in and skeet out and it was back in business, though it cost me about twice what I paid for the gun. I can even use steel in it if needed. It's a little heavy for the Michigan guys (aside from Destry), but it does take out a fair amount of foliage and a bird if it happens to be in the pattern.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MI 7-08 hunt 001(2).jpg (156.5 KB, 47 views)
Fred Preston is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-19-2009, 10:13 PM   #13
MarketHunter
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 4,035 Times in 1,168 Posts

I've handled that gun Fred, it's a sure killer I'm certain.

Destry
I was as virtuously given as a gentleman need to be; virtuous enough; swore little; diced not above seven times a week; went to a bawdy-house once in a quarter--of an hour; paid money that I borrowed, three of four times; lived well and in good compass: and now I live out of all order, out of all compass. Falstaff - Henry IV
Destry L. Hoffard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-20-2009, 09:35 PM   #14
Blind Dog
Forum Associate

Member Info

Just got back from 3 days (including driving) hunting G&W in MI with that gun. Saw no woodcock and three grouse; one was shot at, no confirmed kill. Had a chance to meet Bill Bolyard; a really nice guy with fine dogs, friend and family. For the first time Ringo decided he wasn't going to take any more crap from a Porcupine and wound up looking like John Muir. He's confronted them a few times in the past and always held his point till collared. At thirteen you'd think he would know better; took me more than an hour to get all the quills out of his face, neck and inside his mouth. He was reeady to go in the morning though, and even with a sore mouth, he regained his appetite.
Fred Preston is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-21-2009, 06:23 PM   #15
MarketHunter
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 4,035 Times in 1,168 Posts

You boys are hardcore, I'll barely squirrel hunt in this kind of weather let alone thrash around in the brush after birds.

Eric's dog had a big run in with a porky last year by all accounts. I believe they are now on the "kill at all costs" list in his book.

Destry
I was as virtuously given as a gentleman need to be; virtuous enough; swore little; diced not above seven times a week; went to a bawdy-house once in a quarter--of an hour; paid money that I borrowed, three of four times; lived well and in good compass: and now I live out of all order, out of all compass. Falstaff - Henry IV
Destry L. Hoffard is offline   Reply With Quote