Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Parker Hammer Guns

Notices

Unread 03-24-2017, 05:30 PM   #31
Rob Marshall
Forum Associate

Member Info

Mr. Bishop, Thanks for all your hard work. It is for sure a 10 gauge or someone turned it into one. A Rst 12 gauge shell falls past the extractor and a 10 gauge fits perfect.

Thanks again,
Robert Marshall
Rob Marshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-24-2017, 07:32 PM   #32
Jim DiSpagno
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanked 2,573 Times in 774 Posts

By the looks of the entry blown up and clarified, it is definitely a 10 and not 12.
Jim DiSpagno is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jim DiSpagno For Your Post:
Unread 03-24-2017, 11:11 PM   #33
Jeffrey H. Smith
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanks Rob for the info regarding the "S" stamp on our guns.

I am confused however on how our 2 guns could be considered the same Dollar Grade. ($100-$105).

I realize there was much variation in these less defined grade early guns. But can anyone clarify or provide explanation in the differences of these 2 guns?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Rob's $100 Grade.jpg (137.5 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg 20160229_095524-1.jpg (516.4 KB, 2 views)
Jeffrey H. Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jeffrey H. Smith For Your Post:
Unread 03-25-2017, 06:32 AM   #34
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,235 Times in 12,376 Posts

There could be several reasons for differences in the sell price of guns of the same grade within a specific period where there was a 'standard' price. This was a period we refer to as the "dollar grade" or "dollar quality." The reasons could be such things as longer barrels or some other feature not considered by Parker Bros. to be standard. Another reason that is sometimes seen is a discounted price, for one reason or another. Often there will be no obvious reason for a small difference in sell price.

George King, "That's Ruff", 2010 - a timeless classic.
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dean Romig For Your Post:
Unread 03-25-2017, 07:14 AM   #35
Big D
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 3,615 Times in 1,557 Posts

Why the difference in the number of pins - 4 vs. 3?
Unread 03-25-2017, 07:52 AM   #36
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Grade 3 and higher had different and better lock mechanisms, hence the 4 pins in grade 3 and higher.

The Following User Says Thank You to Dean Romig For Your Post:
Unread 03-25-2017, 07:53 AM   #37
Jeffrey H. Smith
Forum Associate

Member Info

And the barrel bolsters.... I thought general grade differentiation started there along with the number of pins? The pin count might be related to the gun being either front action or rear action locks?? I recall reading about that but can't remember where now. But basically the rear action lock required more wood to be removed from the inner stock thus making the stock wrist somewhat weaker. I think these are the 3 pin guns. The 4 pin guns have the front action lock that required more metal be milled out to provide the needed spacing, thus providing the stock to be stronger. Is that correct?
It seemed the mid-1870's was a very transitional time in design with the addition of Charles King to the design team. I believe he began implementing changes and new patents very soon during this time. I think King ended up with like 14 or 15 patents, maybe more through the years of his tenure with Parker? (I really need to get my hands on the TPS, cause I'm sure most of my Q's have answers in those 2 volumes) Anyway... Also as Dean mentioned there were several price changes in the gun grades during this periods as well. Not to diminish the quality of Rob's gun at all, but the historical pictures of Grade 2 guns of that era bare much more resemblance to his gun than the Grade 3's.
Again, I'm in no way referring to down grade anyone's gun as any Parker is truely a unique and special gun of fine workmanship and historical significance. I'm only trying to better understand the history of these remarkable guns, particularly the early grade lifters of the 1870's.
I and others might benefit from any clarification that those of you with far more knowledge than I of this era could provide. Thank you
Jeffrey H. Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jeffrey H. Smith For Your Post:
Unread 03-25-2017, 08:44 AM   #38
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

As I understand it, Double Gun Journal has sold out of the "blemished" volumes of "The Parker Story." However, you may find some on eBay or ABE. If you would like the leather-bound limited edition I think Robin Lewis will be willing to part with his.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dean Romig For Your Post:
Unread 03-25-2017, 08:47 AM   #39
Rob Marshall
Forum Associate

Member Info

Mr. Smith, that is a really nice Parker. I hope to own one some day that nice. The engraving looks like fireworks exploding. I really like the Dog guns and the engraving that tells a story, but most of those guns are out of my reach.

I learn something new about these old Parkers just about every day on this site by searching the old threads. I really need to invest in The Parker Story too.

I wonder what is the lightest weight 10ga Parker ever built?
Rob Marshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-25-2017, 09:29 AM   #40
Pa SxS
Research Chairman
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 4,972 Times in 1,421 Posts

Let me try and explain a few things about how I determined both Rob's and Jeffery's Dollar Grade. Remember, there are no Order Books for these guns, order books started in 1877.

Rob's gun was made in 1874. The stock book shows the barrel steel as Twist. Looking at the 1874 Price list, a 10ga. gun with Twist steel barrels sold for $55,65, or 80 dollars. With Stub Twist steel, I'd say his was either a $55 or $65 Dollar Grade gun.

Jeffery's gun was also made in 1874 but his barrel steel was Damascus. Looking at the 1874 price list shows 4 different offerings in 10ga. with Damascus steel barrels. They could be 105, 150, 200, or 250 Dollar Grades. I stated in Jefffery's letter that the grade could not be determined. I believe it's the $105 Dollar Grade but I can't put it in the letter if I'm not sure. I'm not sure where Jeff came up with $100 - $105 grades. And remember, at this point in time, Parker didn't use terms like D grade or grade 3. That started about 1882.

Also, do not make assumptions on stampings such as the "S" found on both guns. You can think it is for Stokes but you don't know for sure. The stock books list the contractor who signed off on each phase of the gun and the name Stokes is not found on either gun entry. The same holds true for all the other stampings we see on Parker shotguns.
Chuck Bishop is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Chuck Bishop For Your Post: