Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Parker Restoration

Notices

together again
Unread 04-22-2014, 09:57 AM   #1
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,796 Times in 3,967 Posts

Default together again

well boys with the help of brian who let me have some screws i now have the old ten ga with the heavy barrels back to gether..i did not put the safety in it because i m going to tear it back down and try my hand at redoing the stock and maybe getting the barrels redone.the old gunwas shot twice last night and it stayed closed when shot..one trigger still a littlesensitive but safe to shoot..i ve got to reread some of the old doings about getting the oil out of a stock...got one little pinthat fell out of the gun when i disasembled it that i don t no were it goes..i do not see a pin that looks like it in the parts map..the pin may not even go to the gun..i will post pictures tonite of it to see if someone can tell me were it goes...any way i learned don t wait to long before you put a parker together again after you have tore it down it took me awhile to figure out things...charlie
charlie cleveland is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-22-2014, 10:27 AM   #2
Dean Freeman
Forum Associate

Member Info

Charlie,
I had to take pictures and stick labels with the part names on mine. If I hadn't, I'd still be wondering where all those parts go! Good luck with your gun
Unread 04-22-2014, 08:53 PM   #3
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

here's a picture of the little pin. it fell out when i took the bottom plate off it may belong to the gun and it may not. this is a tiny thing maybe some of you can identify it i could not on the parts list...this gun is a e grade hammerless ten ga serial no somewhere in the 69000 range..charlie
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 001.jpg (481.8 KB, 1 views)
Unread 04-22-2014, 08:58 PM   #4
J. A. EARLY
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,709 Times in 877 Posts

Charlie,

Bet your opening lever does not stay over? That pin (plunger), with the small spring, and barrel latch trip is what releases your opening lever from the open position when the barrel lug presses down on the parts. Do you have the other two parts in there? Or do you have extra parts?

Go to the Parker Home Page, Technical Information, parts illustration. Part 20 is three pieces but you can't tell it from the illustration.
Jerry Harlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-22-2014, 09:03 PM   #5
B. Dudley
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 17,661 Times in 4,634 Posts

Jerry is right, that is the trip plunger pin. The corresponding pin is likely still inside the trip.
Unread 04-22-2014, 09:47 PM   #6
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

jerry your rite about the gun lever not staying open when gun is open..i have tomove lever by hand to be able to shut gun...will go to the parts picture again i did not see this little pin the 2 times i looked at the pictures..those 2 screws brian fixed the gun from coming open when its shot..i shot 2 remington nitro express through it and shes tight as fort knox..does the little pingo into the little spring...charlie
Unread 04-22-2014, 09:51 PM   #7
B. Dudley
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 17,661 Times in 4,634 Posts

The pin likely is not shown as an individual part since it is part of the trip assembly, which is technically 3 separate parts.
Unread 04-22-2014, 09:56 PM   #8
J. A. EARLY
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,709 Times in 877 Posts

Pin has a spring on the shaft and they both go into the barrel latch trip, which goes into the gun towards the top and the flat the barrel lug hits is to the front. Look at one of your assembled guns and you will see the part and when you press down on it with a screwdriver the opening lever releases.

Should see it in your new gun but it has no tension since the pin is missing. Sometimes those springs are weak also, but just pull the two parts out and put the pin in and test the pressure with your fingers. You'll know if it works when you get it back together.

The good thing is you only have to remove the trigger guard and floor plate to put it back in, and the sears can be left in place.
Jerry Harlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-22-2014, 10:47 PM   #9
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

took it apart and put the little end of pin into the spring it now works rite..now i ve got to get me some acetone and a brush and work on getting the oil out of the stock..also got to work a little more on the one trigger its just a little to sensitive for my liking...thanks fellows for the advice i ll probly need some more help before i m done with this one...charlie
Unread 04-26-2014, 09:54 PM   #10
Ruff Hunter
PGCA Member

Member Info

Charlie,
If the stock is dark from soaked in oil, you will need to remove it and soak it in a pan of acetone or lacquer thinner. It sometimes takes a week or more to draw out all the oil. I also usually have to take the wood out, let it dry thoroughly, and apply heat from a heat gun to draw deeply embedded oil out of the head end of the stock, several times. If you just wash the outside of the stock with a solvent, it will remove the surface oil, but in time the deep oil will migrate up to the surface, appearing as dark splotches, and ruin the new finish. So you really need to soak it to draw out all the oil before refinishing.
Justin Julian is offline   Reply With Quote