Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Parker Single Barrel Trap Shotguns

Notices

solid ribs?
Unread 10-26-2011, 03:50 AM   #1
Dale Zywina
Forum Associate

Member Info

Default solid ribs?

I am in the middle of a search for a full choked singleshot partridge gun for up here in the thick NW Ontario woods where I live and hunt, I have seen a few Parker traps for sale, but all have a vetilated rib, wich I am not fond of, as evergreen needles and debri just clog these vents, so my question is are there any factory Parker Single barrel traps with solid raised ribs? I did not think it would be so difficult to find a quality singleshotshotgun to purchase, the only candidate I found of US make was a Fox Trap, but it to had a ventilated rib. Oh well the search continues for the elusive boxlock high quality partridge gun, cheers from Canada, Dale Z!
Dale Zywina is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-26-2011, 10:27 AM   #2
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,780 Times in 4,716 Posts

The weight of an American single trap gun would keep me from using it as a partidge gun. There are Euopean single barrels that are more suited to hunting partridge, and most have safeties. There are no Parker single traps without a vent rib. Where will I find that Fox trap gun you did not choose?
Bill Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-26-2011, 09:48 PM   #3
Dale Zywina
Forum Associate

Member Info

I hunt with a heavy old single for the last 25 years, a trap Parker is a breaze to carry, and my Parker DHE has no saftey and I love that is has none, really drilled into me was safety ,especially muzzle control! And to find a top quality boxlock english gun is near impossible, seems they are over priced or sold in matter of minutes! The Fox Trap 12ga was for sale on gunbroker $5500, good deal but can have a new gun built for the same price, but with minumal ingraving out of Germany right now. One gun is to heavy for one fellow, and perfect for the next guy, cheers from Canada!
Unread 10-27-2011, 01:56 AM   #4
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Uh huh.
Maybe i can "help" Dale--
Unread 10-30-2011, 10:42 PM   #5
Old and Reliable
PGCA Member

Member Info

Default Maybe i can "help" Dale--

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Zywina View Post
I hunt with a heavy old single for the last 25 years, a trap Parker is a breaze to carry, and my Parker DHE has no saftey and I love that is has none, really drilled into me was safety ,especially muzzle control! And to find a top quality boxlock english gun is near impossible, seems they are over priced or sold in matter of minutes! The Fox Trap 12ga was for sale on gunbroker $5500, good deal but can have a new gun built for the same price, but with minumal ingraving out of Germany right now. One gun is to heavy for one fellow, and perfect for the next guy, cheers from Canada!
I won't ask why you wish such a shotgun, that is your call. I haven't hunted grouse/woodcock in 35 years- when I did here in MI I used either a 20 ga. M12 or a 20 gauge LeFever DS double. But I did have a "altered" Parker SC single trap- given to me by a neighbor who was a class A shooter with it- rechoked, release trigger, and a Morgan adjustable pad. I'm not a trap or clays man, but to use such a set up, even with the conventional trigger and std. pad for grouse- well, as they say- we all have our tastes in firearms- so I did a 'recee-recon" for you- if you have the cheque book capacity to order a fine gun from Germany, or consider even a scarce AH Fox single trap- then perhaps the "asking" price of this gun I found in Guns International might be your "cup of tea"- perhaps not. English made single barrel 12 bore waterfowler-sidelock 32" full choked barrel with SOLID RAISED RIB-- ITEM NUMBER IS #100141529-- PLEASE LET US KNOW IF YOU DECIDE TO CHECK THIS OUT-
The only other though I had was perhaps a Savage hammerless single shot, and have a gunsmith install a solid rib for you--Best regards--
Francis Morin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-04-2011, 07:24 AM   #6
Dale Zywina
Forum Associate

Member Info

tHAT ENGLISH 12GA 32" IS A PIECE OF s**t ,i COULD NEVER LOWER MY STANDARD THAT FAR AFTER OWNING A DHE! BUT THANKS FOR THE HELP, i THINK i WILL JUST FIND A LOW GRADE sINGLE tRAP AND HAVE A SOLID RIB INSTALLED, THANKS FOR THE HELP, dALE z IN cANADA!
Unread 11-04-2011, 10:45 AM   #7
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Inexpensive Ithaca Flues model traps are quite common.
Unread 11-04-2011, 09:07 PM   #8
Dale Zywina
Forum Associate

Member Info

Bill I have considered the Flues as there are a few hanging around, but somehow I don't like the look of it, I would not take it out with me, would grab my DHE or ball & shot gun instead. I am looking for the perfect single, cheers Dale Z!
Unread 11-04-2011, 09:10 PM   #9
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,039 Times in 12,321 Posts

Have you considered a scoped .22?
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-06-2011, 09:49 AM   #10
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

I have also looked for the "perfect single" sporting gun. However, if someone showed me a Woodward sidelock single trap with a cut barrel for about $500, I would find a way to shape it down to about 6 1/2 pounds and make it my "perfect single".