Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Parker Restoration

Notices

Need opinions...
Unread 06-28-2015, 01:47 AM   #1
Frank Wilson
Forum Associate

Member Info

Default Need opinions...

I recently received my semi-inletted stock back from a firm in Missouri for my 16 ga 0 frame. The stock is from a blank I picked out from a local sawmill here in southern OK. The colors and grain patterns in the wood itself turned out considerably more attractive than I had even hoped for. I've been chomping at the bit to get started on fitting and finishing this stock. But here's the problem, the stock I received back is a straight grip and the existing stock on my gun is a pistol grip with original cap, butt plate and yes, matching serial number trigger guard. Not sure how that happened since I emailed a pic of the gun with existing PG stock. It appears the stock itself on this 1903 gun is the only part that is not original, (no serial number and no checkering but an otherwise very sound and we'll fitting stock) thus my desire to upgrade the wood. I really like the look and feel of the straight grip but not sure I'm comfortable with modifying the original trigger guard by cutting, welding etc... I'm aware of the Parker straight grip tg available from Galazan.
Would like some opinions: 1) send the company another blank and allow them to correct the issue? Or 2) go with the amazing wood of the new straight grip and go through with either modifying or replacing altogether the original trigger guard?
Frank Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-28-2015, 07:22 AM   #2
Parkerman
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

I would get a replacement trigger guard. As long as you can replace the original parts, should you so desire, you have no issues.
Linn Matthews is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Linn Matthews For Your Post:
Unread 06-28-2015, 07:32 AM   #3
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,208 Times in 12,371 Posts

And try to find an original Parker straight grip guard... they require no extra work to make them look "right". All it should need is the serial number changed and reblueing.
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dean Romig For Your Post:
Unread 06-28-2015, 11:31 AM   #4
Frank Wilson
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanks gentlemen, that's the direction I was leaning. Now to find that "original" Parker trigger guard... I hope I can post the before and afters before dove season.
stock problem
Unread 06-28-2015, 01:41 PM   #5
Ronald Moore
PGCA Member

Member Info

Smile stock problem

Brad balchdecker can extend your olf trigger guard for you. Contact Baldecker Master gunsmiths for this.
Ronald Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ronald Moore For Your Post:
Unread 06-28-2015, 02:12 PM   #6
Harry Collins
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,757 Times in 732 Posts

I agree with all options presented above. I am leaning toward Ronald Moore's suggestion. Send the gun and new stock to Brad to fit. He is reasonable and quick. In making the new trigger guard from the old he will be able to fit it correctly to the inletting. I have used Brad on several projects and could not be more pleased with his work.
Harry Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Harry Collins For Your Post:
Unread 06-28-2015, 02:45 PM   #7
B. Dudley
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 17,518 Times in 4,619 Posts

Frank,
What firm in MO did you get the semi-Inletted stock from?

There is one in MO that is notorious for this type of stuff so I would not be surprised if it is them.

If you asked for a PG stock and got a SG stock, there is no excuse for that. And they should make the situation right.
Unread 06-28-2015, 04:38 PM   #8
Frank Wilson
Forum Associate

Member Info

Brian,
The firm I used was Wenig Gunstocks. I too have read some negative reviews of the work of another Missouri based company so I steered clear. Like I said, I sent a couple of pics of the stock including the butt-plate since I wasn't sure how or even if the inletting would be done for this area since I understand that such stocks are shipped a little long with the expectation that the LOP adjustment is part of the final fitting. As shipped the LOP measures about 2 inches longer than what I specified so I'm also a little surprised that the butt is actually inletted for a skeleton plate, which I would love to have but of course is useless since the the length needs 2 inches chopped off. Is this type of service typical for this sort of thing or did this company swing and miss on this one?
Unread 06-28-2015, 04:49 PM   #9
Frank Wilson
Forum Associate

Member Info

For the record I just received the stock on Friday and have yet not contacted Wenig to make them aware of the issues. I wanted to get some advice on my options here first since I REALLY like how the wood turned out.
Unread 06-28-2015, 05:47 PM   #10
B. Dudley
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 17,518 Times in 4,619 Posts

Frank,
I would have expected it was Macon. I have not had any direct experiences working with Wenig's product.

I cannot express strongly enough to people to stay away from Macon.
Visit Brian Dudley's homepage!