Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

Unread 01-22-2017, 01:48 PM   #11
todd allen
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 3,248 Times in 1,125 Posts

I think it really requires a certain level of maturity to develop a passion for Parkers.
Most are not there yet, at 30 years of age.
todd allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-22-2017, 01:50 PM   #12
Hammer Gun
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 7,668 Times in 1,642 Posts

This is an interesting topic, The "aging out" of folks that appreciate quality doubles has something to do with it, I myself have a few guns consigned, just because I needed to make room for new acquisitions, I have a certain price that I will sell at and no less, else I will keep them for a few more years God willing, There comes a time when you go into that gun room and stop and realize that most of what you see is not being used, or have been shown at many shows, and it is time to move on. In my case just rare and high grade guns from now on. I have to wear blinders like the old mule, concentrate on what to collect or the collection ends up just a lot of guns. Some of our group are in their late seventies or early eighties, and just want to be rid of them so they are not tied up in an estate. We need to come up with an idea, that will attract younger folks and keep them in the fold, this is needed by all the groups Smith ,Lefever,Fox etc. I have an idea and will put it out at a later date. If we are to survive, we must do like businesses do, start readying the next generation, Gary
Gary Carmichael Sr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-22-2017, 02:12 PM   #13
Kirk Potter
PGCA Member

Member Info

I think it goes hand in hand with the declining popularity of hunting. I'm 30, I started upland hunting in 2011 when my cousin invited me to go out with him and his English setter.. In 2012 I bought my first double gun, a Ruger red label.. 2013 bought my first dog an English setter.. 2016 first Parker. I think that if you fall in love with upland hunting eventually the road leads to Parkers. But one thing that I have noticed as someone who really hasn't hunted that many years, is that every year I run into less and less people. When I do they tend to be in their 60's or 70's.
Kirk Potter is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kirk Potter For Your Post:
Unread 01-22-2017, 02:27 PM   #14
SXS OHIO
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,888 Times in 533 Posts

Loss of the working middle class!!!!! Big culprit. I will say we are in a soft marker for all firearms unless they are special.... in demand and hard to find. If anyone finds a sleeper deal on a un-molested O-frame DHE-16....please let me know, I will up the bid...(-: I see the nuts and bolts gun selling under value or at a real good price these days, a buyer can pick and choose and wait till he finds the sweet spot. But guns like the one I mentioned are few and have more than several people who want it...maybe the only one available for some time.....good ones never sell ''cheap'' if properly marketed! that's my take...SXS Ohio
Kenny Graft is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kenny Graft For Your Post:
I don't want to be an alarmist either....
Unread 01-22-2017, 06:13 PM   #15
John Liles
PGCA Member

Member Info

Default I don't want to be an alarmist either....

I don't want to be an alarmist either, and hope that Dean is correct in his prognosis that values will rise again.
I think we have a bigger problem looming. As we age we'll hit a point where suddenly we don't need another Parker or LC Smith, and if we haven't somehow garnered the interest of the next generation of vintage gun enthusiasts, then the value of our prized doubles will die of old age as we do.
When is the last time that Team Parker fielded a Junior Shooter at either the Spring or Fall Southern SXS shoots? Team Elsie usually has one or two, and that is nearly as pathetic as none, but my point is that if we don't do something to bring along the next generation.....we WILL be the end of the line as far as interest in our guns, and interest is what drives price. Even if the economic times get better, if there's no interest there is no sale. Our un-intersted grand-churrins will clean up at the Pawn Shop for Pennies on our well spent Dollars.
It's up to us.
John
John Liles is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to John Liles For Your Post:
Unread 01-22-2017, 06:29 PM   #16
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,040 Times in 12,321 Posts

This is getting depressing... but I agree with you John. I think we owe it to our hobby, to these great old guns, to the young folks who could really get a lot from collecting, shooting, and hunting with them, and to ourselves to try to get the kids off the couch, off their electronic games and out to the Skeet, trap, and SC ranges. Our future and the future of collecting will be in the hands of today's youth.

George King, "That's Ruff", 2010 - a timeless classic.
Dean Romig is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dean Romig For Your Post:
Unread 01-22-2017, 07:09 PM   #17
Gary Laudermilch
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,099 Times in 673 Posts

I agree with the age issue as others have stated. Kids today are into guns so far away from a Parker sxs it is difficult to even hold a conversation on the subject. Next time you are at a well attended sxs shoot, stop and look around. Nothing but old duffers.

As for kids, I am more than a bit bewildered. I have coached a youth shotgun team for the last 15 years. Early on we had little difficulty getting kids to participate. Oh, we had to work at it but ultimately we found the kids we needed. Last year we barely fielded a qualifying squad and at the end of the season several opted out for this year and efforts at new recruits yielded nothing. I admit we are in a rural, low population area but it is in the middle of PA hunting country. The kids themselves are part of the problem but equally so are the parents. Many have given up hunting in favor of more social activities and are not encouraging the kids to participate. Over the years the most dedicated kids have been those whose parents also shot. We are just not seeing that anymore.

It is indeed a sad state of affairs.
Gary Laudermilch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Gary Laudermilch For Your Post:
Unread 01-22-2017, 07:17 PM   #18
Kensal Rise
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,575 Times in 925 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Romig View Post
Our future and the future of collecting will be in the hands of today's youth.

Agreed, Dean. But is the PGCA planning to do anything about some of it? About a year ago there was some talk of a youth program. But I've heard nothing more for 12 months. Anybody have an update?

As others have said, the value of any classic gun is a combination of history, heritage, romance, nostalgia, tradition and taste. Without those aspects handed down to young people, tomorrow's market for any classic double gun will fade to oblivion.

Sorry if I sound pessimistic...
John Campbell is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to John Campbell For Your Post:
Unread 01-22-2017, 07:47 PM   #19
Craig Larter
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 10,213 Times in 1,622 Posts

It is not only the vintage gun market that is soft. I have collected antique decoys for nearly 50 years and I can buy nice decoys for 30 to 40 percent less than 10 years ago. Same deal as vintage guns an aging collector population. Country antiques are even more depressed, I sold my parents life long collection of antique furniture and got 30 cents on the dollar that my parents spent on many nice pieces. In all these markets it seems only the very best continue to appreciate.
My son is much like many 30 year old men. He loves to hunt, just bought his first Lab but the difficult economy and college debt makes money tight and time off hard to come by in today's working world.
Times and tastes change but everything runs in cycles. After WWII side by side shotguns were out of favor for decades and could be purchased for a song, could be we are entering the bottom of a cycle again that will reverse at some time.
Craig Larter is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-22-2017, 07:48 PM   #20
John Liles
PGCA Member

Member Info

I wasn't trying to be depressing as much as maybe trying to hi-light an aspect of our hobby that hasn't/isn't getting as much exposure as it needs to for us to keep our guns in the game. I try to look at the situation as more of a Challenge than an Obituary!
For any of our children less than 8 years old, and more like less than 12 years old, all they've ever seen/heard/read about has been the heathen nature of our sport.
God willing and the Creek (Nation) don't rise, that will change with the current political environment, and if we do our do diligence we might be able to get our message out the he next batch of double gun care-takers before they all decide to become expert hand-ball players!
John
John Liles is offline   Reply With Quote