Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

Unread 08-04-2017, 02:52 PM   #151
John Allen
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 1,601 Times in 342 Posts

Mr.Dallas,It is not dead,just changing.
John Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to John Allen For Your Post:
Unread 08-07-2017, 02:03 AM   #152
John Walters
Forum Associate

Member Info

I have to agree interest in old guns is fading a sad thing for lovers of quality and hand workmanship. The real issue is that the newer guns are very capable and real value to young shooters. I have mixed feelings about this as I want to see younger people shoot and hunt the new technology in auto loaders has come a long way from the old 1100. New Beretta autos and Bennelli guns are tough as nail as hard to beat for the performance and money. I shoot them all Berettas O/U Perazzi Rizzini O/U they are all fine guns but I have 5 Beretta autos 2 20 ga a AL1 and a 302 plus 3 303's 12 gage 2 sporting 1 trap and I can shoot them just as well as my other O/U guns. They work but there is no pride of ownership and love of quality involved that is what is sad to me. At my age it is the fun factor that exceites me last week I shot a Martini 12 gage single shot what a blast and everyone wanted to try it. I have a Husqvarna hammer gun I shoot also and that is what helped me get a Parker Hammer gun. I have been encouraging my friends to get into vintage guns for hunting and shooting. The one thing that the newer guns have is composite stocks and multy shell compasities which is so good for duck hunting especially salt water.
John Walters is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-07-2017, 10:25 AM   #153
C.O.B.
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanked 6,320 Times in 2,082 Posts

When the newer guns fall into a state of disrepair and cease to function the Parkers, Fox, Winchester 21's and such will still be going strong. I hope there are still places that they can be used and game to be used on.

While a Benneli might work ok and be affordable just as a synthetic stocked rifle that you can buy as a complete package for $400 will, neither has any soul, there is no allure of times past, no mystery, no pride in craftsmanship.

At the end of the day what really matters is young people getting involved with the shooting sports and if they do it with a Benneli or a Remington or an AR15 then it's better than having them sit around the house playing video games.
Unread 08-07-2017, 11:00 AM   #154
Kensal Rise
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,575 Times in 925 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Anderson View Post
...While a Benneli might work ok and be affordable just as a synthetic stocked rifle that you can buy as a complete package for $400 will, neither has any soul, there is no allure of times past, no mystery, no pride in craftsmanship..
Sadly, this is the crux of the problem. Today's society has virtually NO appreciation of history, heritage or craftsmanship -- all values associated with the Parker and other fine doubles.

Thus, we have utilitarian cars, degrading societal values, cable TV... and plastic stocked guns with 10-shot capacity and spray paint finishes. Perfect for slaughtering game by the cubic yard.

Sorry, but it won't get any better.
John Campbell is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to John Campbell For Your Post:
Unread 08-07-2017, 11:11 AM   #155
Bindlestiff
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 2,924 Times in 869 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Anderson View Post
When the newer guns fall into a state of disrepair and cease to function the Parkers, Fox, Winchester 21's and such will still be going strong. I hope there are still places that they can be used and game to be used on.

While a Benneli might work ok and be affordable just as a synthetic stocked rifle that you can buy as a complete package for $400 will, neither has any soul, there is no allure of times past, no mystery, no pride in craftsmanship.

At the end of the day what really matters is young people getting involved with the shooting sports and if they do it with a Benneli or a Remington or an AR15 then it's better than having them sit around the house playing video games.
I have thought about this for some time and my observation is that only a very few of the younger group will have these feeling (which I share with you Rich).

Here is why I say this:

Our shared feelings of 'nostalgia' are based on our knowledge of history AND the world that these guns were born into. The younger Americans, for the most part, don't have any nostalgia because they don't connect with the past, as we do.

When we were young, we learned history in school, our parents world talk about 'the old days' and how the family handled hard times as the family sat around the dinner table and we listened. We studied the past by watching 'news reels', collecting baseball cards, gathering up old glass insulators or bottles, searching antique shops and using old 'stuff' rather than throwing it away. We collected coins and stamps and when we did, I'm sure we would wonder who might have used it; did Lincoln hold it or was it at the Little Big Horn? We were made aware of the past and we carry that with us today.

Now, look at the current generation: They don't learn history in school. Their parents (us) are too busy to sit around on the porch or at the dinner table (family dinner at the same table?) to talk about .... They don't collect anything to get a feeling of history. They are consumed with 'now' and rarely consider the past. Their interests are in computers, the internet, cell phones, graphical games; all of which change so fast that they work to keep up with the future, not remember the past.

I have little hope that those under the age of 35 will ever come to think of these guns in the same way we do. They will never comprehend the talent it took to create them without a knowledge of detailed history.

The lack of history knowledge is the root of many areas of my concern about what life will be like for my grandchildren.
Robin Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Robin Lewis For Your Post:
Unread 08-07-2017, 11:24 AM   #156
Kirk Potter
PGCA Member

Member Info

The best way to get people interested in vintage doubles is to take them hunting.. I think once you get someone out in the woods or in the field it's a natural progression to vintage doubles. I'm 31 and just recently started upland hunting within the last 5 years, as soon as I hunted for the first time behind my cousins English setter I was hooked. Then I wanted to learn everything and read everything I could find on the subject. That naturally lead to Parkers.
Kirk Potter is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Kirk Potter For Your Post:
Unread 08-07-2017, 12:10 PM   #157
Hixie
PGCA Member

Member Info

While I don't have the shooting experience of most on this board, I've been around bird hunting in the Northeast for over four decades in New York, Vermont and Maine. We commonly encountered other hunters and they typically shot SxS and O/U guns out in the field. Within the past decade or so I've seen many more pumps and semi-autos, or shiny new O/U guns. While it is good to see younger guys and gals participating, I agree that there seems to be much less appreciation for vintage guns, and many valid factors for that have been mentioned in this thread.

For me, there is a quality in these older guns, and Parkers in particular, that I have difficulty putting into words. I've referred to it as a "certain richness of character" that newer guns, even high-end guns, don't seem to have. I am always quick to say that this is my personal perception and I do not mean to insult anyone who has chosen a newer gun, or infer any less quality in their choice.

For some, they may just have never been around older guns and don't know about them. I frequently try to engage others in what these guns mean to me. Most are surprised that I know the month and year that the gun was made, where it was shipped, it's grade and options, type of Damascus, engravers by name, etc. I get odd looks when I say: "this gun is coming up on its 116th birthday next month." For many, they "just have a gun" and it meets their needs which is perfectly fine with me, but I take it as an indicator that there is decreasing appreciation for older guns.

One factor that has not been mentioned is that many opt for a single barrel or O/U gun because they don't like the SxS sight picture. Much of what you see in writing today seems to point towards a single barrel sight picture as an "easier" or "recommended" option for new shooters.

I shot my very first round of Sporting Clays two Sundays ago and it was a very interesting (and humbling!) experience. I group of guys agreed to take me with them to show me the course and they were very generous with coaching and calling my missed shots. I heard "behind on that one" and "stopped your swing again" a lot. Another one I liked was "you knocked some dust of that one, but we don't count those."

There were at least 50 shooters there in all, and I was the only one with a SxS. By far, most were shooting new/newer custom O/U guns that were specifically designed for the sport. As a side note, almost all 12ga too; I saw only one other 20ga shooter. Only one older gentleman asked me about my Parker and his comment was that he did not like straight-grip guns. While my shooting was not on par with many that day (53/100), I had a blast and I am looking forward to many more rounds with my vintage guns.
Ted Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-07-2017, 05:32 PM   #158
John Walters
Forum Associate

Member Info

Here is some good news a lot of sporting clays shoots have different classes SXS/ Pump /subgague so that is a big plus for SXS guns
John Walters is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-07-2017, 07:20 PM   #159
C.O.B.
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanked 6,320 Times in 2,082 Posts

The shooting venues are there it's the younger participants that are lacking.
Unread 08-22-2017, 06:58 PM   #160
Pa. Parker Pal
Forum Associate

Member Info

Amen Phil most of the shows on the outdoor channel make me vomit
nick balzano is offline   Reply With Quote