Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

Unread 09-08-2013, 06:11 PM   #21
Ray Masciarella
Forum Associate

Member Info

As a former Bloomington Gold and NCRS judge, I can speak to the point made by Brad regarding Corvettes. A Vette restored to typical factory production condition is always worth more, a lot more, than a worn out unrestored example; except in very, very limited circumstances. Interestingly, "survivors", as they are called in the Vette world, have only been recognized in the last 10 years or so. Probably because so many Vettes had been restored there were not many unrestored cars left! For an unrestored Vette to be worth as much as a restored Vette it would have to be 90% original and have near perfect original paint. Very difficult to find in a 40-50 year old auto.
Ray Masciarella is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-08-2013, 06:20 PM   #22
Craig Larter
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 10,429 Times in 1,647 Posts

Some like restored guns some don't---there is room for both in our hobby. The restorers will never convince the leave it original crowd to like restored guns and vise versa. So if you want to properly restore a gun---have at it and have fun----just realize that not everyone will be impressed or like the finished product regardless of the quality of the craftsmanship.
Craig Larter is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Craig Larter For Your Post:
Unread 09-08-2013, 07:28 PM   #23
BRDHNTR
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 2,735 Times in 1,252 Posts

The Mona Lisa, Statue of Liberty, Washington Memorial, Mount Rushmore and many others have all had restoration work done. Their Value.....PRICELESS. (when done by competent restoration artists).....
allen newell is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-08-2013, 07:57 PM   #24
C.O.B.
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanked 6,320 Times in 2,082 Posts

[QUOTE=Mark Ouellette;114642, the owner of the Invisibles could have them turned into lamps if they chose.]

I have NEVER seen an Invisible Parker, IF they made lamp shades would you only see the shade???:b iglaugh:
Sorry Mark I couldn't resist your typo
Rich Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Rich Anderson For Your Post:
Unread 09-08-2013, 09:06 PM   #25
paul stafford jr
Forum Associate

Member Info

I don't think I would ever restore a original gun in high condition. but most of the beaters I see these days are begging for it, theres no shame in saving a old gun. and besides its fun.
paul stafford jr is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to paul stafford jr For Your Post:
Unread 09-08-2013, 10:28 PM   #26
Harry Reed
PGCA Member

Member Info

This is one of the most interesting threads I have read on the forum since I became a PGCS member. I think a Parker is one of the best examples of American manufacturing craftsmenship from the late 1800's and early 1900's. A $150 1890 C grade Parker compares very favorably when layed next to far more expensive European doubles. I think, when the restoration is done using the original wood and metal on the gun, no historical significance is lost!!! If the specimen restored was in such a rough condition that wood and metal components need replacement, that is fine too. Just be ethical if you are doing it for monetary purposes and disclose what has been done and why. IMHO.
Harryreed is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Harryreed For Your Post:
Unread 09-08-2013, 10:45 PM   #27
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,228 Times in 12,374 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Anderson View Post
I have a GH 20 with 30 inch damascuss barrels which in itself is a rareity. Doug Turnbull completely restored this gun to include recutting the engraveing. This was all done befor I bought the gun but I considered it in my offer which was substantilly less than the asking price but we came to terms and its a very nice gun. i see no harm is cleaning up an oil soaked stock, refinishing it and recutting worn checkering or haveing the damascuss barrels redone. Most of these guns are 100+ years old and a little TLC IMHO doesn't hurt them.

Rich, that is probably the most perfectly refinished Parker I have ever handled. It almost had me fooled completely.
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-09-2013, 06:58 PM   #28
Alligator
Forum Associate

Member Info

Guys they don't make them anymore! I have a Parker lifter 10 gage with some issues but mechanically it's all there. It's an 1878 with the keyed forend and beautiful fiddle back wood. The back end is about 70% and I plan to have Kirk Merrington work the barrels over only to the point of making it shootable. It is not going to ever be an as new restoration only enough to bring it back to 100 year plus old character marked rarity. Lee.
lee r moege is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to lee r moege For Your Post:
Unread 09-09-2013, 07:01 PM   #29
C.O.B.
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanked 6,320 Times in 2,082 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lee r moege View Post
Guys they don't make them anymore!Lee.
Thats exactly why a little TLC will keep them around and serviceable for another 100 years.
Rich Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-09-2013, 07:46 PM   #30
Ken Hill
PGCA Member

Member Info

Unfortunately, I agree with everything that's been said. Let me change or ask a slightly different question. Assuming the restoration was done correctly (and this is a big open assumption), if you were to purchase the gun, how would you value the gun?

For example, is the restored gun 50% of a similar gun (grade, barrel length, stock, etc) in 90% condition?

Thanks
Ken
Ken Hill is offline   Reply With Quote