Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

Unread 09-07-2013, 10:16 PM   #11
Ray Masciarella
Forum Associate

Member Info

I actually agree with almost everyone has said. It probably should be a descision that is made on a gun by gun basis. For me, it is not an emotional thing. If a gun is totally worn out, I'd have no problem restroing it if I wanted to, although I can appreciate an old worn out gun too. it is a personal descision.

I agree with Bruce that most restorations, by some well known gunsmiths, do not match the many great origianl guns he has shown us here.

I disagree that colors cannot be properly reproduced. If Parker did it then it can be done now. And some gunsmiths are getting it right. I think the reason even the right colors on a restored gun don't look like they do on a 100 year old 98% gun is that what cannot be reproduced is a 100 years of aging. Those old guns just have a mellow look. They didn't look like that when new. It took a 100 years to look like that.

I haven't seen as many restored guns as others. I haven't seen one perfectly restored. Seems like there are always little things that are overlooked.

In the final analysis for me, there is no problem perfectly restoring an old worn out gun and bring it back to life. While it may have some charm from being carried through the woods for 100 years, bringing it back to life has value (and I don't mean money). On the other hand, old worn out guns are cool too. Do whatever hits your hot button.
Ray Masciarella is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ray Masciarella For Your Post:
Unread 09-08-2013, 08:55 AM   #12
C.O.B.
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanked 6,320 Times in 2,082 Posts

Although not a "total restoration" here's an example of a little TLC on a GHE damascuss 20ga. Clean up 100 years of dirt,grime and recut the checkering and a nice piece of walnut was revealed. IMHO no harm done.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Befor and After 004.jpg (186.3 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg Befor and After 006.jpg (117.4 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg Befor and After 002.jpg (230.6 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg Befor and After 008.jpg (293.4 KB, 4 views)
Rich Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-08-2013, 09:36 AM   #13
C.O.B.
Forum Associate

Member Info

Here's one that was "restored" several years ago. The seller thought the colors are Creekside which would be Doug Turnbull's father. The damascuss bbls and the stock has been refinished as well. Its a GH 16 O frame. I must ask where's the harm?
The Following User Says Thank You to Rich Anderson For Your Post:
Unread 09-08-2013, 10:30 AM   #14
Ray Masciarella
Forum Associate

Member Info

Rich, I see no harm, and wow, what a great result!

Some have commented on the fact that sportman's in other countries routinely restore guns. and it is an accepted practice in those places. It is interesting how collectors here have opposed this view for so long. IMHO, there are some guns that should never be restored. For example, a gun that is known to have been used during the War Between the States, the great western times, etc. On the other hand, a Parker in any grade that was purchased and used in the normal course of sporting activities and is all worn out can be restored if that is what the owner thinks is best for him.

Some of us have a romantic view. All the dings and dangs represent the history of the gun, even if the history is not distinquished in any particular way. Some on the other hand, may see value to them in taking the old gal and restoring her to her youth. Not because they think she is going to look like a 100 year band new gun, but becasue they want her to look brand new (understanding a gun is only new once). I have to think she would be admired. After all, where does one go buy that gun new today? No repo is even close (which is an entirely other subject, but I always wondered why anyone would go through all the effort of producing a repo that is not faithful to the original. Makes absolutely no sense to me).

My problem is that I'm both romantic and practical but I have moved away from the never restore category.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ray Masciarella For Your Post:
Unread 09-08-2013, 10:49 AM   #15
C.O.B.
Forum Associate

Member Info

I forgot to add the pics
Attached Images
File Type: jpg The door nock Parker 001.jpg (489.6 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg The door nock Parker 003.jpg (505.7 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg The door nock Parker 005.jpg (498.0 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg The door nock Parker 002.jpg (499.9 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg The door nock Parker 006.jpg (504.2 KB, 4 views)
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Rich Anderson For Your Post:
Unread 09-08-2013, 11:13 AM   #16
Big Friend Ten (BFT)
PGCA Lifetime Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,933 Times in 795 Posts

Restoration is the owner’s choice. Heck, the owner of the Invisibles could have them turned into lamps if they chose. I’d hope that they would not but that is what ownership is about, the owner may do whatever is legal to their property.

My opinion is that vintage guns with medium to high condition do not need restoration. Any work may in fact lower the value of such guns. Having faded Damascus patterns redone correctly probably enhances the value of most guns.

Low condition higher-grade guns are prime targets for accurate restorations. Accurate means for the manufacturer and period/year the gun was made. The end result should make experienced collectors take a close look to ascertain if the gun’s condition is original or restored.

The following are examples of full and accurate restorations by Brad Bachelder.
1. Parker B Grade Lifter Action in somewhat below medium condition with barrels redone in gray on grey and total restoration.
2. "Hard hunted" Super Fox. The wood was so oil soaked that one could indent the stock head with their thumb. Yes, Bachelder restored the original wood!
3. LC Smith 10 gauge Grade 2. Notice the pitted barrel lug in the before photo.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 047 - Reduced.JPG (250.8 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg B Grade_028.JPG (331.4 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg B Grade_020.JPG (255.4 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg g36634foxHEsuperfox (6).jpg (518.1 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg HE Fox-2Ed_12.jpg (501.5 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg LC 10 Chain D_004.jpg (493.4 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg LC 10 Chain D_017.jpg (487.8 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg LC SMith 10_Flecking-1.jpg (52.3 KB, 2 views)

USMC Retired
USMC Distinguished Marksman
USMC Distinguished Pistol Shot
NRA Benefactor - Ring of Freedom member
Mark Ouellette is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Mark Ouellette For Your Post:
Unread 09-08-2013, 11:23 AM   #17
Brush Buster
PGCA Member
Second Badge

Member Info

Thanked 3,566 Times in 1,099 Posts

As with most things ,I always seem to have an opinion ,Generally ,I try to keep most to myself . This can be a real can of worms ,My personal opinion , is this very simply , If I choose to purchase a gun which has never been refinished ,apparently there was something about the gun ,I already liked and usually just give her a little clean up and use it the way I bought it ,now if this gun has been beaten up a bit and I can have bumps taken out of the wood ,checking recut or cleaned up and some new finish on the stocks to make it a bit nicer ,then I will go ahead and have it done as long as it is by a reputable smith that makes his best attempt to finish in an original style ,same with Damascus barrels ,I really like the patterns in the Twist and Dam. barrels and will not hesitate to have at least the barrels redone by a good Damascus Barrel Man! As for a total restoration ,even though ,I have had a few done ,and done by some of the top names in the business ,I never seem to be as happy with the gun as I would have been if the job had never been done even though it looks nice ,they are just not the same to me ! The one gun ,I owned was a 30" DHE 28 Ga. ,this gun had been refinished in the past and very poorly ,I purchased this gun knowing " FOOL " well ,I could never live with it the way it was but a 30" DHE 28 " WOW " how do you pass it up with a decent price tag on it , I had the gun completely refinished by one of the top refinishers in todays market and it was absolutely Gorgeous ,I carried it a bit and really never warmed up to it and eventually sold the gun ,lessons learned , I think guns with their Patina ,and Age are always going to be more desirable than a refinished gun and will always have a better following from true enthusiasts than a refinished gun which someone has attempted to bring back to it's former Glory ! Again ,just my two cents !
Russ Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Russ Jackson For Your Post:
Unread 09-08-2013, 12:33 PM   #18
Ray Masciarella
Forum Associate

Member Info

Mark, I could not have said it better and I totally share your view. Restoring that Parker is a close call IMHO, but the Fox and Smith are clearly better for their restorations, again IMHO. With that said, I think the value of the Parker, in more ways than one, was enhanced with the restoration.

Russ, I see your point of view also. As Mark stated, it is a personal choice the owner has to be happy with. At first, I didn't understand your statement that you had no problem doing a partial refinish but don't like a total restoration. My first thought was: what's the difference? But after tought, I think there can be a difference. The only problem is that for the purist, once a gun is messed with it is always messed with. There is no going back. So for them partially vs totally restored is still a messed with gun.
Unread 09-08-2013, 01:03 PM   #19
Big Friend Ten (BFT)
PGCA Lifetime Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,933 Times in 795 Posts

This is a partial restoration in which the "unwritten history" of this 32" EH 10 gauge was preserved.

Jerry Andrews repaired the bolt through the stock.

Brad Bachelder did a partial restoration on only the metal parts of the gun.

Oh, this Parker gets hunted! It has been with me many days in the layout boat!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg E-1.jpg (20.2 KB, 199 views)
File Type: jpg EH32_Ed001.JPG (169.6 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg EH32_Ed002.JPG (179.6 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg EH32_050.JPG (258.3 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg EH32_Ed012.JPG (163.1 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg EH32_Ed010.JPG (175.0 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg EH32_Ed018.JPG (206.7 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg EH32_Ed017.JPG (164.2 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg EH32_Ed005.JPG (177.5 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg EH32_Ed019.JPG (192.4 KB, 4 views)

USMC Retired
USMC Distinguished Marksman
USMC Distinguished Pistol Shot
NRA Benefactor - Ring of Freedom member
Mark Ouellette is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Mark Ouellette For Your Post:
Unread 09-08-2013, 01:47 PM   #20
Parker Bachelder (Brad's Profile)
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,925 Times in 202 Posts

Restoration is a term used too loosely in this industry. Often refinished guns are represented as "Restored". A fresh coat of poly and a blue job do not constitute a Restoration. A total Restoration is basicaly a complete remanufacture with the most strict diciplines applied in techniques and process. There are no shortcuts or quick fixes. Every American manufactured Double has its own set of signature nuances. Finishing marks, colors, patina, dimensions and function parimeters. To apply Fox techniques to a Parker will yield an incorrect Restoration. A refinished model 12 Is just that, a good field Gun, A restored model 12 is a great field Gun, but also a thing of beauty.
In ten years a properly Restored Double will look just like its untouched counterpart.
As for value consider what a properly restored Corvette will fetch at auction.
We don't own our Guns, we are temporary stewards at best. We love our Doubles because they represent a very important part of the history of American Craftsmanship.
Pristine to good original condition Guns should be left untouched. Distressed and poorly maintained Guns can be brought back if done properly.
As stewards we can take great pride in saving these beautiful machines for our enjoyment as well as future generations.

Brad
Brad Bachelder is offline   Reply With Quote
Visit Brad Bachelder's homepage!